Chapter 3: Ciri

Chapter 3: Ciri

A Chapter by Lorena Rose

I was staring off at a spider building its web on the ceiling knowing I’d have to kill it sometime in the future. I hated killing spiders they were such remarkable creatures. I had been standing here for two hours waiting for Jasper to get home, but he was being slow in his return. I was so tired it was very late, maybe twelve at night and tonight I was supposed to be meeting Umber to find out what was going on with her father. I had to help him out with some papers though because they were regarding our surveys. I’d been working for him for three weeks and he hadn’t tried anything, but I was still really cautious. “Ciri,” China said walking in, “He’s late, go to bed.”

“People have been put to death for less offensive things,” I said leaning against the wall.

“Well you cannot stand here all night you did not do anything wrong,” she said annoyed, “screw him and the horse he rode in on.”

“Quiet get back to work,” I snapped, “we’ve only got another month then he’s leaving so hold your tongue and let it go.”

“He’s probably passed out drunk somewhere if you are lucky,” she said as I traced the scar on arm from the glass my first day here.

“I understand that you do not seem to believe or understand the situation, but your job is to clean the house and survive I can only help so much with that,” I told her.

“I can look after myself,” she said defensively.

“Very well you can go get some sleep,” I said looking over at her.

“You know you are still a servant too,” she reminded me.

 

“I know exactly what I am, now go,” I ordered.

“Fine, but if you get hurt it is your fault,” she said starting to leave.

“I understand,” I said crossing my arms.

“Good luck,” she said then left the room. I stood there for awhile longer then I heard footsteps and I straightened up.

 

“Sorry I am late,” Jasper said walking in, “there was another meeting, but I am here now.”

“It is your house sir,” I said politely.

“I trust that you weren’t waiting too long,” he sat down.

“Not long at all,” I fought to keep my eyes open, but I caught the look he gave me. That told me that he had spoken to China already.

“Come over,” he said waving me over to the chair across from him. I wasn’t sure at first so I just stared down the chair unsure what to do. “I do not bite sit down China tells me you have been standing for two more hours.”

“She hasn’t gone to sleep yet then,” I asked with a sigh.

“No she’s still cleaning,” he said looking down at the papers, “why was she supposed to be asleep?”

“I do not know you arrange when we sleep sir, but she looked tired,” I replied calmly.

“The driver does he follow orders given by the guard,” he asked looking at Darius’s file.

“Yes he always does, he’s very good at following direct orders,” I said nodding. 

“What about indirect orders?” he asked looking up at me.

 

“Excuse me, sir,” I said puzzled.

“Does he follow orders you give him for example?” he asked seriously.

“I do not give him orders,” I answered automatically.

“The girl mentioned you gave her orders to go to bed, is that true?” he asked looking up at me.

“It was an accident, sir, it won’t happen again,” I said looking at the desk.

“Remember when I told you to look me in the eyes,” he said and I looked up at him, “be careful and do not cause trouble, Ciri.”

“Yes, sir,” I said automatically.

“There’s only a month left so watch yourself and do not cause problems,” he said writing on my paper, “Now does the driver ever complain during the drive?”

“No, sir, he does not,” I said sternly.

“Does the girl ever do anything to deserve punishment?” he asked concentrating on the papers again.

“No, sir, she does her job and she’s never broken, misplaced or done anything she was not supposed to,” I said coolly.

 

“Did she tell you to go to bed today and that I was drunk?” he said soberly.

“Yes,” I said guiltily.

“Do not cover for people it only gets you in more trouble girl,” he said standing up, “I think I can figure it out for myself from here on out.”

“Did I do something wrong?” I asked cautiously. My eyes looked up at his face to judge his expression, but he just looked flustered.

“I need you to get a package for me from Liam Gray,” he said going over and closed the door.

“Where will I be picking it up, sir?” I asked hoping it was near the church.

“It’s three streets over, 1008 Westside Lane; have the driver take you there and return immediately,” he informed me as he went back to his chair. 

“I’ll be back soon, sir,” I bowed out and headed downstairs. The guards were all passed out on duty so I felt safe walking out the front door. I headed down the street and took the alleys to speed up the trip. The thought of Umber alone listening in on her father’s meeting turned my brisk walk into a run. When I got to the house, I knocked on the door.

 

“What?” a young man answered the door wearing a uniform. It was an Elite uniform and judging by the smirk that spread across his face, he wasn’t like Jasper. I took a deep breath then spoke.

“Jasper Ryan sent me to pick up a package,” I told him.

“Ryan, I thought he would come himself,” he frowned, “How do I know you work for him?”

“Call him if you wish,” I suggested and he gave me a suspicious glance before dialing up a number.

 

“Hello, Ryan I have a young lady on my doorstep who says you sent her here,” he said watching me, “Redhead with pretty eyes, yes I should have known you’d have someone like her on your staff.” I glared at him openly because his eyes were on the phone. “I’ll give it to her; could I ask for her favour though? I’ll return her in the morning,” the Elite asked, “Alright, Ryan I won’t, but you are being awfully selfish.”

“What did he say?” I asked as he hung up.

“He told me not to touch you,” he pocketed the phone, “Come inside, I’ll grab the letter.”

“Letter, I thought it was a package,” I frowned following him in.

“Jasper wanted information and she gave it this to me,” he led me into the sitting room and I wrapped my arms around myself as a cold breeze blew through.

“Mr. Ryan’s girlfriend,” I asked.

 

“Ryan, he doesn’t date; none of the girls here are his type it seems.” He went into the office just off the living room, “How long have you been working for him?”

“A few weeks, sir,” I replied.

“Odd that he’d protect you then,” he said and I heard him rummaging around. I went over to the fire and watched the flames lick the brick. I couldn’t think about anything, but getting to Umber. Whatever this letter contained, I wanted to know what was so important that I was wasting my night at some perverted Elite’s house. I was considering sneaking out and coming back, but I knew how much trouble I’d get in for an act like that. I was chewing on my thumbnail when Gray came back in. “Here you are,” he handed me an open envelope.

“It’s open already,” I said confused.

“I had my servant ensure the information was there and I have already told that to Ryan,” he informed me, “Take this straight to him; he expects you back there within ten minutes of being given this.”

“Ten minutes,” I couldn’t hide my surprise.

“He has been waiting a long time for this letter,” he waved me off.

 

“Thank you,” I bowed out and made a beeline for the door. Ryan would have to wait for me; Umber must be there by now and she could get caught. I opened the envelope just inside the next alley and read the letter under the lamplight. It was from Talia Wallace and I could tell from the contents that she was friends with Ryan. I pondered for a moment what to do with the letter. Ryan would be angry if I destroyed it, but it might keep him from severe punishment for my lateness. I was one of the only ones with this information and Gray’s servant probably didn’t memorize the words written here. I felt like I owed Jasper though and he’d been nothing, but hospitable so far. I bit my lip. What was I going to do?

 

***

 

When I got to the church, I headed around the back knowing that the back door was usually left open. I was just about to round the corner when I heard voices. “No one must know,” a voice said. It was deep and male; I didn't recognize it.

“Of course not,” Grand Minister Nigel Peterson replied, “You know the price for my silence.”

“Of course,” a third voice added, “We keep that blemish of yours hidden from society and you rise to power with us.”

“Yes, sons of God you make me a very persuasive case,” Nigel remarked, “Show me the disguise again.”

“Very well,” the first one said then their voice changed, “I am Warren Phoenix, son of Graceling and High Spector.” I covered my mouth. I couldn't believe this.

 

“Michael, my dear fellow; I will ensure that the body is burnt so that no one will ever know our story,” Nigel laughed, “Such a pity, you chose Phoenix, he was one of the only Spectors I found bearable.”

“You like him because he got rid of Bennett, minister,” the third one snorted.

“Agreed, Drake; Eddison Bennett was a fool and I am certain his family is paying for his sins,” Nigel replied. Eddison Bennett was the old man who lived out in the Drifter's land. I had no idea he'd ever had a family.

“I think we should head back inside, gentlemen,” the first one said with the stolen voice and the other men laughed, “We are going to dissolve the Spectors; their reign has ended and we are the future.”

“No,” I whispered.

 

“What are you doing here?” An arm wrapped around my stomach and got my head in death grip.

“Aarons,” Nigel came around the corner, “What is the meaning of this?”

“She was listening in, sir,” Aaron said and I glared up at Nigel.

“Ciri17, I never expected you to break the rules like this,” Nigel tipped my cheek up and slapped across the face, “Bring her inside now.”

 

Aarons started to drag me into the church, but I resisted. “Let me go,” I struggled.

“What all did you hear, Ciri?” Nigel demanded.

“All of it,” I replied.

“Well then, by the High Spector's decree, I believe you should be given the worst punishment for your crime,” Michael said and he grabbed me away putting a gun to my head.

“Do your worst,” I snapped.

“This was none of your business, girl,” he commented, “You're cute, but no one can live with all our secrets.”

I think it is the Spector’s business that you are impersonating one of them,” I said nastily.

 

“You know I always wanted to do this,” Nigel threw me down to my knees, “Ever since I met you, I knew who you were, Ciri17.”

“You don't know anything about me, minister,” I clenched my fists as the guard held me down with one hand.

“I know your name, Ciri and I knew your parents,” Nigel said seriously, “Too bad you never got to meet them, Michael do the honours.”

“Too late for that,” Michael put the gun to my head, “Any last threats, young lady.”

“No,” I said then I heard running.

“Stop,” I looked up to see my best friend knock down Michael then a gunshot went off. Umber hit the ground and I could see the blood.



© 2015 Lorena Rose


Author's Note

Lorena Rose
what do you think is coming?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on May 18, 2015
Last Updated on May 18, 2015


Author

Lorena Rose
Lorena Rose

Montrose, BC, Canada



About
Hey, I am a college girl that's majoring in creative writing. I love writing and like to explore new worlds through the script across the page. Hope you enjoy my writing. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lorena Rose