Chapter 12: Ciri

Chapter 12: Ciri

A Chapter by Lorena Rose

“So you two are in trouble because you ran off after your friend’s murder and there’s impersonation, deceit and now the short servant is in charge,” Andromeda said after we finished telling her our story.

“I am not short,” I hissed.

“That about explains things,” Jasper nodded.

“It sounds like you two are headed in the right direction then. Eddison is an expert on the city,” she said seriously.

“You know him,” Jasper asked.

 

“I’ve never met him, but I’ve met people who have,” she said shaking her head.

“That is good, Ciri,” he said then looked over at my stone cold face, “What is wrong now?”

“Would you put her down or give me back the jacket?” I said frustrated.

“But I am cold, Jazz; do not let me freeze to death,” Andromeda complained. We’d been travelling for a week and at this point, Andromeda had Jasper wrapped around her little finger. He carried her on his back and let her have to the jacket most of the time.

“You’re young; you’ll get over with,” I snapped.

 

“Ciri, please calm down; you’ll get the jacket tonight,” Jasper assured me.

“I do not understand why you are carrying her on your back; she still has legs as far as I am aware,” I said.

“Come on, Ciri, she’s got shorter legs,” he sighed.

“Yes, but she’s smirking; so obviously she’s fine,” I argued.

 

“Why do you always have to fight me on everything?” he said with a sigh.

“Because you never listen to anything I say and we did not stop to rest last night,” I said taking the sac away from him and the water, “Plus she keeps giving me a look.”

“Yes, but you could at least try and be more understanding,” he said soberly.

“You are always bossing me around,” I said pissed off.

“Relax, she’s not hurting anyone. Why cannot you calm down?” he said.

“Because I want to sleep and get to this guy’s house,” I said picking up my pace.

“You are always doing this. Why cannot you just trust my judgment?” he said frustrated.

“Because you do not know everything, Elite,” I told him.

“Neither do you sweetheart,” he replied.

 

“You two are like an old married couple,” Andromeda laughed.

“No we are not,” we both said giving her a look.        

“Please you guys act like I am a child; foreigner is the demanding wife and Jazz is the concerned father,” she said amused.

“And you are about to be the deceased child,” I warned her.

“Ciri, she just does not understand the situation,” he said sternly.

“I just want to understand things,” Andy said sweetly.

“Manipulator,” I said eyes narrowed.

 

“You are just upset that I am Jasper’s favorite now,” Andy told me.

“You know you don’t seem to know how to watch your mouth,” I replied.

“Ciri please, can we calm down and talk about something else?” Jasper suggested.

“Fine, so Andromeda how long have you been out here?” I asked.

“Since I was born,” she said turning sober, “I guess I was supposed to be picked up to be a servant, but they missed me.”

“Why didn’t you go to the city when you got older?” Jasper said confused.

“Have you seen the city? The harsh ruins sound like a better life to me,” I said looking at the scars on my arms.

 

“Where did you get all those scars?” Andy asked.

“Life in the city,” I said looking at the scar on my shoulder.

“Wow, that place sounds pretty messed up,” she said calmly, “Why do you live there?”

“I do not know; it is the only life I know,” I said looking at my healed over slit wrists.

“Well if I lived in the city, I won’t let anyone boss me around,” she said shaking her head.

“You’d be dead in minutes,” I sighed.

“Ciri,” Jasper said appalled.

“What you know I am right; she’s too opinionated,” I shrugged.

“Well, wise one, I cannot believe you survived this long,” she replied.

“I return the sentiment,” I said politely.

 

“Do you girls always have to fight?” he said sourly.

“She’s not as dumb as she looks,” Andy said honestly.

“She can at least take care of herself,” I said sourly.

“Good now you two are both very hard headed, but I am going to need both of you guys to survive out here,” he told us, “Okay.”

“Fine, as long as she does not steal my food again,” I said giving Andy a nasty look.

 

“I am still growing; I need more food than you,” she argued eating some of the bird I cooked yesterday.

“Actually, I need more because I am bigger and that was the last of the bird. Thank you very much,” I said annoyed.

“It was good bird someone might as well have enjoyed it before it went bad,” she said coolly.

“I was trying to open the pea can for you, wimp,” I said eyes narrowed.

“Pea can,” she snorted.

“Real mature,” I said rolling my eyes.

 

“Do you hear that?” Jasper said as we continued walking.

“It sounds like the wind to me,” Andy said, “No big deal.”

“I’ve heard that sound before,” I said suspiciously.

“Do you hear things a lot?” Andy questioned.

“Do you ever close that mouth and listen?” I snapped.

“Girls, I do not like the sound of that,” Jasper said stopping where he was.

“I don’t know, but whatever it is; it is coming right at us,” I said seeing a big spinning tunnel of dirt and wind coming at us.

 

“Duck,” Jasper said and then the wind hit us. It tried to knock me down and I braced myself digging my feet into the ground. It didn’t stop right away; in fact it seemed to pick up more and more the closer the tunnel came to us. I ducked down and tried to move forward to Jasper who was hanging onto a broken down wall with reinforcement steel hanging out the top.

“What is this?” Andy called through the loud wind.

“I don’t know,” I said looking back, but I could not see her. “Where are you?” I called.

“I cannot hang on too much longer,” she called and I walked carefully back through the dust looking for her, “I cannot see anyone. Where is everyone?”

 

“Ciri, where are you?” Jasper called back.

“I am back here,” I said looking for him, but I could barely see him anymore.

“Is Andy with you?” he asked.

“No, she’s not,” Andy called then I heard the ground slipping and I lunged back immediately. I wasn’t the biggest fan of Andromeda, but she was already like an annoying little sister to me and I could not let her die. I reached back and I heard her scream. I reached out farther and felt an arm. I pulled it down beside me and I felt her on my back then I reached forward, but I could not reach Jasper.

 

“Andy,” Jasper called and I crawled forward carefully and I could not see anything anymore. I begged god in my head then I saw Umber and I jumped forward with my hand out and I was about to fly away with Andromeda on my back when I came in contact with a hand. “Hold on,” he said and I held onto him and Andy for dear life.

 “When is this going to be over,” Andy said hanging onto me. We kept hanging on until finally the wind stopped blowing and the tunnel disappeared and I could see again. “We are alive,” Andromeda said victoriously and we all laughed.

“Yeah we are,” I coughed out some dust, “I’ve heard about sand storms, but that was my first one”.

 

“It might not be our last; we have to be careful,” Jasper sat down next to me, “Are you alright?”

“Are you asking me or Andy?” I inquired.

“I am asking you,” he looked at me, “So are you okay?”

“Yeah I think so,” I sighed, “Just got the wind knocked out of me. Are you doing alright, Andromeda?”

“Call me, Andy,” she climbed off my back and settled herself on the ground, “and I am good, thanks for saving me.”

“Someone had to do it; you are the comedian of the group,” I teased.

“I knew you liked her more than you were letting on,” Jasper nudged me, “All that complaining was just an act”.

“Well who wouldn’t adore me?” Andy said dramatically.

 

“I really did want that jacket though,” I pouted.

“Here,” Andy handed Jasper the jacket and he put it over my shoulders, “You are probably just as cold as I am by now, skinny”.

“You are not too bad for a drifter, kid,” I joked.

“You are not too bad for a city dweller,” she yawned, “We need to rest soon”.

“A few more miles will not kill us,” Jasper got up, “Come on girls, the next shelter we find we’ll camp out in for the night”.

“Deal,” I let him pull me up to my feet, “Andy and Jasper can have the blanket tonight I have the warm jacket”.

“Okay,” she smiled.

“Let’s get moving,” I helped her up to her feet then we were off again.



© 2015 Lorena Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
Added on June 29, 2015
Last Updated on June 29, 2015


Author

Lorena Rose
Lorena Rose

Montrose, BC, Canada



About
Hey, I am a college girl that's majoring in creative writing. I love writing and like to explore new worlds through the script across the page. Hope you enjoy my writing. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lorena Rose