Help

Help

A Chapter by Marie Maddson

“I smile all the time so that nobody knows how sad and lonely I really am”

The house that stood on what was 22 Edgar Street, Collingsburg was not as it used to be. Four years ago, when Lily Thomas still laughed and smiled, the small house seemed to shine with love, happiness and sweetness. The small yard used to be filled with bright and colourful flowers, luscious green grass and singing birds. Now the house stood dark and damp. The yard itself was dead; flowers lay withering on the dead grass and the birds had left long ago.


The house had two occupants, the widowed Mr Thomas and his 17 year old daughter, Aspen. Mr Thomas had changed, and for the worse. The 43 year old’s drinking habits had greatly increased and his mind was plagued with terrible, dark things. Things of sadness, anger and violence.


His daughter, however had remained the splitting image of his long dead wife. Aspen’s blonde, slightly wavy hair cascaded like water down her back and her eyes had remained as bright as the leaves swaying on the trees. Aspen Thomas was pure and lovely, her smile seemed like sunshine and her laugh sounded like softly chiming bells.


It was a cold Monday morning in Collingsburg, Aspen was in her small bedroom pulling on the itchy pieces of cloth, that Collingsburg High School called a uniform, over her flat chest. Hurriedly the pale beauty glanced at her dirty mirror and pulled her long hair into a messy ponytail. Pulling on her old sneakers, Aspen grabbed her bad from the corner and raced down the small hallway to the dusty kitchen. She picked up a green apple from the fruit basket and rubbed it against her shorts, attempting to rub off the grime.


“Dad?” she called, peering through the ajar door that led to the lounge room.


What met her eyes was a sight she should have expected. Her father lay on the flea infested couch snoring softly and muttering. Aspen leaned closer and shock her father gently, while holding her breathe to shield her nose from the overpowering stench of alcohol on her father’s breathe.


“Dad you have to get up!” she said urgently “or you’ll be late for work”                    


But Aspen knew it was no point in using that excuse, because her Mr Thomas didn’t really have a job. In fact, the only reason why he had not yet been fired was because of pity. Pure pity. And not for the drunken Mr Thomas, but for his daughter. Who worked long hours at a local café, earning money so that she could a keep a roof over her head and feed herself and her father.


Aspen sighed softly, her sadness and resignation obvious in the sound. In her resignation she merely smoothed her father’s curls from his forehead and pulled a nearby rug up to his chin. As Aspen heaved open the heavy front door she looked back and smiled slightly at how sweet and childlike her father looked in his slumber.


Turning back, she barred her teeth and stepped into the icy wind that awaited her. She put her heavy satchel more firmly on her shoulder and began the walk to school. The wind made her hair escape her ponytail and whip against her cheeks, and she could feel tiny goose pimples trailing up her arms. 20 minutes later, Aspen stepped through the Collingsburg High School gates and heard a familiar voice call her name.


“Oi Pen”


Aspen turned and grinned when she saw Lealia Zhang hurrying towards her. The two girls had been the best of friends since the first year of high school they had spent together. Lealia was an Australian with both Chinese and French heritage. That day her jet black hair was pulled into a careless braid, the bright blue streaks gleaming excitedly in the sunlight, her eyes covered with heavy traces of mascara and beneath her school shorts her short legs were working at full speed to catch up to Aspen


“Hey weirdo,” Aspen said fondly “you don’t have spare jumper do you?”


Lealia nodded, while fiddling absent-mindedly with the silver earring that sat on her small nose “Mum told me to pack it for you, though you might need it today”


Lealia ruffled through her backpack, after a while pulled out a, slightly creased, jumper triumphantly and chucked it unceremoniously at Aspen. She laughed as Aspen pulled the jumper over her head as soon as she could, sighing in pleasure as she felt warmth slowly reach her chilled bones. Lealia’s Mum was absolutely wonderful. She often did small things like this for her daughter’s best friend. Like reminding Lealia to put an extra jumper in her bag for Aspen, secretly putting extra food in Lealia’s lunchbox or Aspen or even sneaking in some money for an excursion or textbook.


The sound of the bell echoed throughout the school and groups of students began to make their way to separate classrooms. Lealia went on her tip-toes and looped an arm around Aspen’s shoulders “Come on, Pen” Lealia said brightly “let’s get this over with”


By that Lealia mean the rest of the day, which she either spent whispering funny comments in Aspen’s ear, writing song lyrics in the corner of her books or hiding her phone beneath her desk as she scrolled through facebook.  While Lealia did absolutely nothing Aspen sat at full attention, straining her ears to catch every words the teacher spoke and frantically scribbling down notes in her notebook. Lealia always said that Aspen was too much of a good girl and that she was too smart for her own good and need to ‘loosen up’ a little.


The rest of the day passed away quickly and it didn’t seem very long before the bell rang signalling that it was three o’clock and the students could go home. Aspen sighed, knowing what she would be doing long into the night.


“Doing homework tonight Pen?” Lealia yawned, the piercing on her tongue showing itself


“Yeah” she replied “but I have to work until 11 first”


“Arggh why do you work so much?!” Lealia demanded exasperatedly


“You know why” Aspen said quietly, her green eyes staring determinedly at her tattered sneakers


“Yeah, I do” Lealia whispered, sadness flooding through her voice “Mr Thomas still not going to work”


Aspen nodded, her face glum “Wouldn’t be surprised if he gets fired soon”


“What will you do” Lealia asked, nudging Aspen gently with her hips as they walked


Aspen forced a fake brightness in her voice as she replied “Well if Dad gets a job than not much will change, But if he doesn’t that I’m just going to have to work more hours”


“What about school stuff?”


“I’ll get it done somehow” Aspen said, forcing a shrug


“You know Mum and Dad would lend you guys money-“


Lealia was cut off by Aspen speaking quickly “Sorry Lee, got to go or I’ll be late”


With that Aspen was speeding away, leaving Lealia staring after her, her offer hanging heavily in the air, wishing that Aspen would let them help her.


 




© 2016 Marie Maddson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Again your descriptions just impressed me. The story seems very interesting and I never find once in the story so far where I felt it was boring or not worth reading and I believe this is what makes a writing worthful... I'm enjoying the character of Aspen and her frnd Lealia... The characters seems very alive and I really liked the way you put hope into this by presenting a good frnd like Lealia... Aspen seems a very strong willed young lady... Overall this is such a brilliant story which I believe is going to be more amazing....

Note: I think you have missed 'f' in the word 'for' in the 14th Para after the word 'lunchbox'....

I'm enjoying it.... Full ratings for this chapter... Will read the other chapters at night....

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Marie Maddson

8 Years Ago

thank you so much...it means a lot!!!!!! And I will fix that haha
Inject Positivity

8 Years Ago

You are welcome, will start reading the next chapters now...



Reviews

Again your descriptions just impressed me. The story seems very interesting and I never find once in the story so far where I felt it was boring or not worth reading and I believe this is what makes a writing worthful... I'm enjoying the character of Aspen and her frnd Lealia... The characters seems very alive and I really liked the way you put hope into this by presenting a good frnd like Lealia... Aspen seems a very strong willed young lady... Overall this is such a brilliant story which I believe is going to be more amazing....

Note: I think you have missed 'f' in the word 'for' in the 14th Para after the word 'lunchbox'....

I'm enjoying it.... Full ratings for this chapter... Will read the other chapters at night....

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Marie Maddson

8 Years Ago

thank you so much...it means a lot!!!!!! And I will fix that haha
Inject Positivity

8 Years Ago

You are welcome, will start reading the next chapters now...

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

187 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 4, 2016
Last Updated on April 4, 2016


Author

Marie Maddson
Marie Maddson

Australia



About
An almost 17 year old girl who had fallen in love with the magic of words... more..

Writing
Agony Agony

A Chapter by Marie Maddson


My Angel My Angel

A Chapter by Marie Maddson