Promises You Can't Keep

Promises You Can't Keep

A Chapter by Marie Maddson

Tears are prayers too. They travel to God when we can’t speak”

-Psalm 56:8


Lealia was waiting for her outside the school gates. Lealia wanted to be a singer-songwriter, so whenever she had a spare moment she would be writing random lyrics on a piece of paper while she hummed a tune. So as Aspen walked towards her, Lealia’s head was bent over a piece of paper, her small nose scrunched up in concentration as she wrote furiously.


Since the girls had become close friends three years ago, a lot of people had told them how different they were. Aspen Thomas; blonde hair, green eyes and tall. Lealia Zhang; hair as black as midnight, brown eyes and short. While Lealia would laugh loudly and surprise people with quick humour and sarcastic remarks, Aspen would stand quietly by her best friend’s side, smiling shyly and barely speaking.


Hearing footsteps, Lealia looked up. Seeing Aspen she smiled and pocketed her piece of paper.


“How was music?” Aspen inquired, while at the same time linking her hand with Lealia’s


“Fine, Ross was being a wanker as per usual” Lealia replied, sounding incredibly annoyed and exasperated.


Since they had gone to the same primary school, Ross Pickett had developed a huge crush on Lealia. Lealia on the other hand had absolutely no intention of having a boyfriend until they had a pinch of maturity, money and a car. Also she always joked that she could never date a guy with the last name Pickett.


Aspen chuckled, already knowing the rant that would follow. After a few minutes of relentless ranting Lealia took a deep breath as she finished “Anyways how was Italian?”


“Fine” Aspen began “but I think Brodie figured it out”


“But how-“


“My bruises, Lee” she interrupted “he saw the bruises and the mark on my cheek”


For a moment, there was a silence as Lealia and Aspen were consumed with their own thoughts and swung their linked hands absentmindedly. The extensive silence seemed to frighten Lealia so she spoke “I have said it once and I’ll say it again...”


Aspen sighed, “He doesn’t!”


“Oh my gosh how many times do you need to deny it Brodie totally had a massive crush on you!!! I mean he is just so nice to you!”


“But he is nice to everyone” Aspen argued


Lealia paused, considering her response, and then spoke again, her lips curved up into a cheeky and all-knowing grin “but does he touch you? Chooses you over his friends? Stuff like that?”


Taking Aspen’s determined silence as a yes, Lee shrieked and clapped her hands excitedly. Aspen covered her ears as her best friend’s high pitched squeals thudded painfully on her eardrums. Upon seeing Aspen’s pained facial expression, Lealia burst out laughing and Aspen’s melodic laugh soon joined Lealia’s loud snorts. But their hysterical laugh stopped abruptly as they recognised the faded white gate of 22 Edgar Street.


“You don’t have to go home!” Lealia suggested desperately “come to my place!”


As she pleaded small tears had brimmed and fell down her cheeks “please, don’t go back, please”


Aspen wrapped her arms around Lealia and pulled her close, stroking her friend’s jet black hair “I’ll be alright” she whispered in Lealia’s hair “I promise”


Aspen pulled away and gently wiped the tears from Lealia’s cheeks with her thumb “I promise” she said again


Hesitantly trusting Aspen and her promise, Lealia nodded but did not leave, earnestly searching Aspen’s face and squeezing Aspen’s hand.


“Go Lealia” Aspen said, forcing a laugh, giving her friend a gentle push


Doubt and worry still darkening her features, Lealia turned away and began to walk away. As she was about to round the corner that would take her out of sight, she looked back and mouthed a simple phrase that warmed Aspen’s heart


“I love you”


When Lealia had finally vanished from her sight, Aspen opening the gate and began to walk through the lifeless front lawn. When she heard the sound of the handle clicking as the door opened she felt the overwhelming numbness of fear that she had been trying to suppress. Forcing her legs to work she walked to the kitchen preparing to get herself a snack before doing homework, but she stopped abruptly. Mr Thomas was sitting at the kitchen table, a frayed piece of rope, a red-hot poker and rusted pair of scissors laying by his elbow. Fear took firmer a hold Aspen’s heart as she noticed that her father wasn’t drunk but something worse. It looked as if her father wasn’t even himself anymore, his brown eyes seemed dull and unseeing, the way he sat didn’t seem familiar and the way his lips were curved up in a maniacal smile gave the impression of insanity. 


 


 


 






© 2016 Marie Maddson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

175 Views
Added on April 4, 2016
Last Updated on April 4, 2016


Author

Marie Maddson
Marie Maddson

Australia



About
An almost 17 year old girl who had fallen in love with the magic of words... more..

Writing
Help Help

A Chapter by Marie Maddson


Agony Agony

A Chapter by Marie Maddson