Chapter Two: " The Bible and the Hymnal"

Chapter Two: " The Bible and the Hymnal"

A Chapter by Mark
"

One in a series of brief sermons, delivered around the turn of the century! Comparing the mysteries of Scripture with the mysteries of singing, from a songleader's point of view...

"

   During a song service  some months ago, I was struck by  an odd similarity between the two books we refer to repeatedly during each week's service. Each was written by many Authors, but had a single goal and purpose. Each contains a broad spectrum of moods, messages and pictures, which, when received as a whole, point in a single direction. Each was written in one or more foreign languages, containing many mystical symbols, which, though undecipherable at first blush, can be learned to some extent through frequent repetition. In addition, the deeper an individual delves into the hidden mysteries of each of these books, the more unified and glorious the end product becomes.

   The contents of each book are opened to us each Sunday by those whose natural abilities and frequent practicing have made them more able to unify us, to demonstrate to us the beauties and subtleties contained within both the Bible and the Hymnal.

   Having compared these two books, let me now extend the comparison to the Church as a whole, and the congregation. Each of these is comprised of many different individuals. Each person has his own strengths and weaknesses. It is his responsibility to work on his weaknesses, and to use his strengths to shore up the weaknesses of others. When a congregation does this effectively, when they all work together with common purpose, goal and vision, the result can be breathtaking, a joy to the ear, the Spirit, and on rare occasions, BOTH!

   Conversely, a song service where few sing, and those who do are in different keys, at differing tempos, and where a few individuals seek by sheer force of volume to predominate can take one's breath away just as effectively, but not nearly so joyfully! The same can be said of many congregations within the Lord's church. We in this building are doubly blessed, as the two men whose duties include leading the worship from each of these two books are especially adept at that task. Each does his job joyfully, with skill drawn from practice, with insight, and with the God-given ability to draw others to his vision, and to unify them in his vision and purpose.

   Let me clarify that last: Stuart and Steve are NOT preaching THEIR vision to us, but the visions of J.B. Dykes, William Whiting, and Fanny J. Crosby, as well as those of Luke, Paul and Timothy. Each of these six authors (and of course, MANY others!) had a simple and a wonderful message, and at the same time a unique way of expressing that message. What message may WE now infer from this comparison?

   The author Robert Fulghum said it very well in his recent bestseller, "Everything I Really Needed To Know, I Learned In Kindergarten", in which he has expressed a number of the simple, unambiguous values we are taught when very young, which, if observed to a greater degree throughout our lives, would yield a crop of increased happiness, and reduced frustration."Follow the Leader...Share...Co-operate...Look both ways...Hold hands...Take more naps..." are a few of these reminders; who here might not profit from those? The prolific songwriter Fanny J. Crosby, immortalized in this Hymnal, delivered much the same message, but in quite a different way: "Love one another/ Thus saith the Saviour/ Children, obey the Father's blest command."

   God, too, has delivered this and many other messages to us, and they are all contained within this book, the Bible. Truly, this is the volume that ought to have been named, "Everything I Ever Really Needed To Know", rather than merely, "The Book"!  Because a focused and dedicated study of THIS book will produce in time resonances, chords and harmonies in our SOULS, rather than merely in our ears. For that, I am especially grateful to Stu, as he has used his strength and dedication to shore up my greatest weakness, an unwillingness to study.  

  



© 2009 Mark


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A good sermon penned with wisdom and insight. When a congregation and its leaders work together they can produce a wonderful, inviting song of love to draw others to worship the Lord. However, all too often, the sweet notes are drowned out or soured by too many rules and regulations foisted upon the newbies. just my observation over the years.

Are or were you a song leader/choirmaster in the church you attend? Not that it is relevant to this lovely write but you peaked my curioslty as you show yet another facet of your personality, my friend.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This was amazing to read and truths that are found within its self are truly amazing. just reading makes me wonder what I am missing in my life that it can make it better. my favor things in life will always be. ."Follow the Leader...Share...Co-operate...Look both ways...Hold hands...Take more naps..."

Posted 12 Years Ago


A good sermon penned with wisdom and insight. When a congregation and its leaders work together they can produce a wonderful, inviting song of love to draw others to worship the Lord. However, all too often, the sweet notes are drowned out or soured by too many rules and regulations foisted upon the newbies. just my observation over the years.

Are or were you a song leader/choirmaster in the church you attend? Not that it is relevant to this lovely write but you peaked my curioslty as you show yet another facet of your personality, my friend.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

235 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 1, 2009
Last Updated on November 1, 2009


Author

Mark
Mark

Las Vegas, NV



About
Writing, for me, has always been the friend who brought out the best in me, and who would never argue with me, except when necessary to point out my many obvious inconsistancies. Writing and.. more..

Writing
K-20 K-20

A Poem by Mark


This Son Of God This Son Of God

A Poem by Mark





Beautiful author websites
Stop wasting time and money on Wix & Wordpress. Authors are creating beautiful websites with Myauthor.space FREE!
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5