Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Chapter 2, The Maze

Chapter 2, The Maze

A Chapter by #SecretWriter

I awake as I am lowered into a dark maze. The walls are so high that I cannot see beyond them. There is a wall behind me and only a narrow path ahead. I am wearing a black all purpose suit which covers my torso down to my knees. My arms and lower legs are bear for flexibility. My gloves are perfect for providing grip as well as for other situations.

I take a deep breath and lower myself into the starting position, I sprint to the far wall and then I hear it. The ringing sound which I am to run towards, it is faint but my sharp and in-tune senses pick it up and tell me that it is approximately 10.3 miles away. I choose to turn right, judging by where the sound comes from. The path bends round and I find myself facing a metallic wall with metal grips 4 metres above ground height. I run and grab the first hand-grip and throw myself towards the dark sky.

I estimate the wall to be two hundred feet high. I swing myself backwards and contract my biceps to throw me higher, to the next grip where I hold myself to regain my breath.
THAT'S ENOUGH! I swing back, contract, and throw myself to the next grip. I throw my weight higher and as I grab the grip above it loosens from the wall and I fall towards the ground.

I see in my head, but through my own eyes, myself falling from this same wall, from the same grip and hitting the ground. Several of my ribs make a cracking sound as I hit the ground and pain shoots through my legs. I roll onto my side and with my hands I pull myself then a flash of light, and black.

But now I am falling and as I fall I manage to find a grip to catch myself. My body slams into the wall and I almost lose all of the breath I stole before my fall. I regain my breath as fast as I can and begin to climb the wall again. As I climb I try not to wonder how I have this memory, as I am new to this maze, this facility.  As I reach the top there is little room to stand and no clear way down. In front of me I see only the maze and mostly dark.

I look to the left and then the right and see a rope. The rope is not as long as the wall and I have nothing at the very top of the wall to tie it to. I have one option. I lean down to the hand-grip nearest the top and tie the rope, knowing that this rope will not reach the ground on the other side of the wall. Now I search the wall for some assistance in my way down. I find a small hole which I can use for some grip in my downward climb. I lower myself and put my fingers into this hole, as I stretch and twist my body to search the wall I find the next hole. The rope is around my waist to minimize the possibility of falling, I hope that it does not distract me.

My only option now is to drop and grab the next hole. I drop, I grab. I do this until the slack from the rope comes over the wall and falls, the knot holds and I progress downward. I drop and I grab each small hole in the wall until I cannot find another. I estimate that I am 100 feet from ground level and I have more slack. I kick outward, away from the wall and drop. The rope sliding past my hand, my weight is focused on my lower back until I seize the rope. My weight is in my hands. 

I let the rope slide through my fingers and run backwards down the wall. I seize the rope in my hands, it burns and I kick the wall to stop my body hitting it again. I look down to see what I estimate to be thirty feet left for me to drop. I bite the rope with my extra sharp teeth, which I know are strong and perfectly crafted for situations such as this, as it nears it's breaking point I tug the last threads.

I brace myself for the fall and land on my feet. I am unaffected by this impact. I stand and take in my surroundings, my options. Back to the starting position and I run towards the sound.


© 2014 #SecretWriter


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

very interesting as well. i feel there is no reason to have chapter 1 and 2 seperate from eachother. you might as well combine them. chapter 1 does not do anything chapter 2 cannot do. that is my opinion. not much plot progression yet. so i am interested in what is going on. so far the character is in a lab, wakes up, and passes out. the character wakes up and is in a maze. She/he goes over a wall. not totally sure where the character is. what kind of person the character is. whether or not it is human. not sure what this could be about. looking forward for these progressions to be revealed. keep it up. i am really interested in to find out the background of this world. what, where, why, etc. I hope you finish the next chapter soon so i can satisfy my curiosity. I understand the point of mystery. I use this in my writing a lot as well. it may be too mysterious. need something to immerse you so you feel you are somewhere. anyways, keep on writing.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
1 Review
Added on January 13, 2014
Last Updated on January 13, 2014
Tags: Action, science-fiction


Author

#SecretWriter
#SecretWriter

Rochester, Kent, United Kingdom



About
Most of my characters have a dark secret, an evil plan or are just bat-s**t crazy. I'm new to most types of writing but enjoy it as often as possible. I might be a little bit crazy, but anyone w.. more..

Writing