Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by meredith29

PROLOGUE

I’ve failed. The thought came to Nathaniel as he hit the ground, his head smacking against the concrete with a dull thud. I swore to protect him and I failed.  He heard Thomas’ desperate shouts, heard him crying out his name over and over until they tapered off into a bone chilling scream. Nathaniel rolled painfully onto his side, trying to shake the nausea that threatened to overwhelm him.

 

Thomas’s life wasn’t supposed to end like this, he trusted Nathaniel to protect him, to keep him safe. And now when he needed him most, he lay gasping for breath on the ground…useless.

 

A pair of boots came into view. He raised his head to look at them, ignoring the rising sense of panic within him.  Laughter sounded as a crushing blow was delivered to his chest. Pain ripped through him like fire and every breath became instant agony. 

 

The next kick hit his back, the air leaving his lungs with a low grunt. As he curled his body into a ball trying to become as small as possible,   he became aware of a voice, small and begging.

 

Please stop. Please stop. Please, please, please”

 

It sounded pathetic, even to him, and it took him more than a moment to recognise it as Thomas.  The kicks paused and Nathaniel tried to crawl towards his charges voice.

 

 Please stop. Please. Please stop”

 

The terror and pain filling the boy’s voice was almost more than the Guardian could bear. Ignoring his own injuries he pulled himself to his feet. Pain exploded through his shoulder, blood seeping through his jacket to drip onto the ground. A shadow stepped out from a nearby doorway and loomed over him, head tilted to one side appraisingly.

 

No... It can’t be…

 

A face swam into vision, its features distorted in a viscous snarl.

 

“Well well what do we have here? A witch and his Guardian. Not doing a very good job are you?”

 

“Go to hell” Nathaniel spat, struggling uselessly in the creatures iron grip.

 

A merciless laugh sounded and Nathaniel felt himself thrown backwards to land in a crumpled heap next to Thomas’s broken body.

 

 “They call you Watchers don’t they?”  Nathaniel flinched at the hot breath on his skin “So watch this.”

 

Thomas screamed as a clawed hand plunged into his chest and pulled out his heart. Nathaniel felt warm blood spray across his face before a crushing blow hit the back of his head and he fell forward into darkness


© 2010 meredith29


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I don't even know what to say... This is amazing. It works perfectly as a prolouge because of the way you have created a piece that pulls in the reader and makes them want to read more. The thing that really caught my attention was the fact that you added hidden detail that most don't think to add in a prologue and it takes away from the effectiveness of the story. Excellent job on this piece.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I don't even know what to say... This is amazing. It works perfectly as a prolouge because of the way you have created a piece that pulls in the reader and makes them want to read more. The thing that really caught my attention was the fact that you added hidden detail that most don't think to add in a prologue and it takes away from the effectiveness of the story. Excellent job on this piece.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

243 Views
1 Review
Added on August 12, 2010
Last Updated on August 12, 2010


Author

meredith29
meredith29

United Kingdom



About
I am 29 years old and I live in a small village in Wales. I love writing (oviously) and would like to be able to do it full time one day more..

Writing
Jeramy Jeramy

A Chapter by meredith29


The Council The Council

A Chapter by meredith29