Tempted - Chapter Two

Tempted - Chapter Two

A Chapter by Michelle_H

Please fasten your seatbelts, we will be arriving at Albany International Airport in about fifteen minutes,” she heard the pilot say over the intercom as she watched the lush greenery of Upstate New York pass beneath her. This place was so different from the New York she knew, from her own concrete jungle.

The verdant landscape passed by beneath her and she longed to be free in the clear, crisp air of the mountains. Though she was content to live in the city, the wilderness was where she called home. It was in her blood, in her DNA to live among nature. Her heart raced in excitement and anxiety as the plane began to descend and she braced herself for the impact of the landing and for Jason McLeary.

She made her way through the airport and walked down the steps into the awaiting baggage claim, searching the floor for Jason. Her eyes found him at once. He was not a man that was easily hidden.

Their eyes locked in a collision of blue and green, his own blue eyes framed with dark lashes the same shade as his ebony hair. Whisps of midnight fell onto his forehead as he made his way to Alessandra with long, sure strides.

He was dressed in dark blue jeans and a black t-shirt that stretched across the taut muscles of his chest and shoulders. Alessandra may not appreciate the confidence and control of the man before her, but she could at least appreciate the man's good looks.

Her heart raced as Jason reached her and embraced her in a quick hug before releasing her. She stood stifly in his arms, not expecting the sudden contact of the muscular warmth of him before he released her.

How was your flight?” The attempt at small talk eased her out of the awkwardness of the situation; face to face with a man she thought she would never see again.

Fine.” Her voice was husky from lack of use and she cleared it, wishing she had more to say.

Jason didn't seem to notice her discomfort. He had already collected her luggage and began walking towards the exit of the aiport. “I took the liberty of collecting your luggage. The car is parked just outside.”

Oh.. Okay.” Not knowing what else to say, she simply followed him out into the frigid air as he put her luggage into the back of his black Escalade. She mentally kicked herself for allowing his presence to turn her into a shy thirteen year old. She was twenty-five years old, had lived on her own for seven years and was the best agent in New York. There was no need to act like the child she once was.

Jason climbed into the driver's seat of the SUV and began the drive to his home. Clearing her throat, she took the reigns of the conversation and began with a topic she knew that she could handle. “Have there been anymore reported murders since yesterday?”

No, but that doesn't mean there won't be more. I've alerted everyone in the pack to take extra precautions until we've found the killer.” He looked over at Alessandra for a brief moment before returning his attention to the road. “It's not safe to be outside of the territory alone and unprotected. I've ordered all of the women and children to stay inside the territory unless escorted by a male.”

Alessandra leveled a knowing gaze at Jason's profile, well aware of the subtle reprimand. “I'm not part of your pack, Jason.” A pregnant pause as Jason waited for her to continue. “I haven't been for seven years.”

Jason opened his mouth to to protest that statement, but she interrupted him before he could interject, “I'm only here on business and clearly I can take care of myself.” Alessandra raised an eyebrow at the last statement. He knew as well as she did that she was strong. Strong enough to survive seven years while hunting rogue vampires in New York. She waited, knowing that Jason was not easily dissuaded.

Once a pack member, always a pack member. You would do well to remember that.” Jason turned to meet her stare with the steel blue gaze of a man who was used to being in charge. “I will respect your wish to remain without an escort until and unless I feel it necessary to break that promise. You're in my territory now, you'll play by my rules or you won't play at all.” Jason didn't look at her again as he finished his statement, daring her to object.

Alessandra felt the heat of Jason's anger washing over her in waves. She fought an inner struggle to continue the argument, but knew she was walking a fine line. If Jason refused to allow her to investigate on his land, there would be no way around it. When it came to Panther Territory, Jason was law.

She would just have to make sure that it would never be necessary to have an escort.

Alright Jason, we'll play by your rules. But I'll need my own office to conduct the investigation as well as a full-staffed lab. I can't do my job with my hands tied behind my back.” She paused briefly before adding, “or someone breathing down my neck.”

Jason turned to look at her and she could see the iron grip he had on his emotions. There was more that he wanted to say, but wasn't letting out.

I have an empty room off of my office that you can use. The lab has already been prepared for your arrival and there are several forensic analysts waiting to go to work.”

Thank you.”

She turned to look out the window and immersed herself in thought as Jason's Escalade sped down the highway. They'd reach his territory within an hour and she wasn't sure if she was ready to walk back into her past.





© 2012 Michelle_H


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Emotions that the character portray would suggest they were more than clan member. Maybe a possible love interest. Definitely something i can picture my self finishing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I'm gunna read all the chapters!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like that there seems to be tension in the main characters. I like that she is strong yet a little vulnerable to her attraction to Jason. This is a good start to a book!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

242 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 8, 2012
Last Updated on March 22, 2012
Tags: paranormal, fantasy, panther, love, romance, crime, novel


Author

Michelle_H
Michelle_H

Fort Campbell, KY



About
I'm 21, from the Bay Area, California and I love to write :) I'm currently a student as well as an Independent Scentsy Consultant. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..