Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by Truth

 

The church bells echoed throughout the town, their grand sound vibrating inside every person, beckoning them to the large cathedral in the heart of their community. Cassie skipped eagerly in front of Drake and her father, pulling Truth along with her. Drake watched as Truth's hair whipped in the breeze as she was yanked faster and faster towards the church, her new blue dress a great contrast to her black hair, but a compliment to her heavenly azure eyes. The building was foreboding to Drake, a certain fear of what awaited the fallen angel inside the holy walls. Truth glanced back at Drake, her face expressionless, yet there was a hint of a smile. I'm sure she just thinks this is a game, thought Drake. But he knew it wasn't. Before he could think of it further, he found himself walking beneath the grand doors, the gateway into the place of truth and judgment.

Glancing to his right, Drake saw his sister and Truth already sitting down in one of the long pews. The angel appeared calm, not surprising to him. Ever since yesterday morning when they had decided to stay away from each other, Truth had shown little emotion except for the occasional smile towards the hyper girl. It was obvious she was amused by Cassie. Or perhaps the whole situation they found themselves in. Maybe it was " Drake's thoughts were interrupted as the clanging of the bells slowly faded and the church was silent, save for the heavy breathing of his father beside him. His eyes wandering to the other side of the aisle, Prince Edmund's extravagant apparel stood out among the dull browns and grays of his subjects. Drake sneered at the sight of him. Even though Edmund was his cousin, he had never liked him, mainly for his incompetence to rule and make decisions that were favorable in the long run, but also because of his vain personality. Drake believed his father, not Edmund, deserved the crown of his father's late brother. Drake searched once more around the church for Leanne. He was surprised to not see her.

Drake barely listened to the sermon, his mind focused on Truth, the anticipation rising inside him with each flip of the page of the Bible, the words from he priest momentarily floating in his ears, only to be gone with each breath he took. His only sanctuary was his thoughts, and even then they weren't that serene. Only here, in the house of God, could he truly think. But today, with only Cassie sitting between him and the angel he had once fallen in love with, his mind could only remember, not comprehend.

Drake was brought back to reality as the congregation stood and flipped through the words of God to find a hymn to praise Him. He could only gaze down that the closed text he now held. His father nudged him and murmured a page number, concern on his face. Drake lazily opened to the page and whispered the words that everyone now sang. A beautiful voice filled his ears as the song proceeded, and his eyes fluttered closed as he let the notes flow over him. He stopped whispering and listened, but so did the rest of the people and soon the cathedral was quiet except for Truth's voice. She continued to sing, the notes pristine and entrancing, echoing throughout the building. She looked around at the awe-struck faces and the last word faded on her lips, her own face flushing with pink. Truth immediately sat down and folded her hands in her lap, staring down at them. There was no Bible in her grasp or near her. It made sense that she would know it by heart.

The bells began to ring once more and sound returned as a flood of people left the pews. Drake still sat, her song still echoing through his head. Suddenly, there was a tap on his shoulder and he glanced up to see Edmund standing there, not even looking at him. Edmund's gaze was fixed on something beyond Drake. Still not bothering to look at Drake, Edmund murmured, “And who is this lovely young lady, Drake?”

Drake turned his head to look at Truth, who was now standing, leaning on the back of the pew, her eyes closed and her face twisted, as if trying to conceal something. She flicked her eyes up at him and there was a flash of red in them, but they quickly returned to their normal blue. Drake, not sure what was happening, could not think of a good answer. “She... Ummm... Well, she's just...”

“No, no, dear cousin. She is not “just” anything. You never did appreciate a beautiful thing, even if it was living in your own house.” Edmund still did not look down at Drake, but a wide grin was now plastered on his deceiving lips. “Yes, I've heard the rumors,” he added, and walked up to Truth, extending his hand to her with a slight bow. “Shall I have the honor of knowing the beautiful lady's name?” he asked, almost mockingly. Truth did not smile back, but gave her hand to him and allowed him to tenderly kiss it.

“My name is Truth. I am, however, ashamed to say that I do not know yours.”

Edmund's grin faltered for a second, only to return not quite as sincere. “Do not worry, dear Truth. I am Edmund, prince of Eldor, but on a less formal note, I am Drake's cousin. Now, you may be wondering why such a person as myself may be approaching you, but your wonderment will not last for long. I have come here to ask if you would care to be a singer in my halls. Such a pretty voice as your should be appreciated in such a glorious castle.”

As his cousin said this, he could think of nothing except hatred for the prince. Not only was he basically stealing the throne from Drake's father, but now he was trying to woo the woman " or whatever she was " that he once loved. Drake glared at the back of Edmund's head.

Truth, on the other hand, now smiled at the prince, her eyes a bit softer than they had been all throughout church. Drake could not comprehend it. Everything that had been crashing down around him for all these years now stood at a halt, inches above the flames of hell. He could feel the fire lapping at his soul. He quietly waited for the fallen angel's answer. “It would be an honor, my prince.”



© 2012 Truth


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
Added on May 11, 2011
Last Updated on April 8, 2012


Author

Truth
Truth

CO



About
Heya! Truth here. I love writing like none other! It's my ultimate form of relaxation and venting. Most of my stories are based off real life experiences, perhaps a few fantasies of mine thrown in the.. more..

Writing
Black Butler Black Butler

A Poem by Truth