Chapter 10

Chapter 10

A Chapter by Truth

The moon shone in through the window of Cassie's room and splashed its silver light onto the floor where Drake lay. Normally, he loved to be bathed with cool light, but tonight he loathed its presence. So often had he imagined Truth sitting up on the moon, her wings like white clouds and her eyes two more dazzling stars against the blanket of navy blue.Drake looked away from the window and towards Cassie. He didn't want to think of Truth right now. Her rather long visit to the castle to see Edmund only rubbed more salt into his wounds. He knew exactly what she was doing, and just the thought brought a foul taste to his mouth. Cassie's arm hung over the edge of the bed, and Drake extended his fingers to lightly brush against hers. Her hand closed and she pulled her arms back beneath her. He smiled, letting his arm fall back onto the cold wooden floor. I should really just go back to my own bed. Truth isn't coming home anytime soon tonight.

     Drake brought his thoughts to Leanne. He knew he didn't have enough money for a ring, whether it be gold or not. He could ask his father for money instead of a present, but then he would get suspicious. It had to be a suprise. His lack of friends in Eldor also created a problem. But putting all of that aside, did he truly want to do this? He cared for Leanne, yes, though he wouldn't use the word "love." She was the ideal wife: beautiful, innocent, submissive, loyal. But Leanne wasn't the one he wanted. D****t, Truth! Go away! Everything seemed to contradict itself. No, I just have to do it. Compared to Truth, she's the real angel. Leanne will be good for me. So it was settled. Drake closed his eyes tighter, trying to clear his mind. Sleep had always been a hard thing to come by, and these damn women aren't helping. Sleep, however, never did find Drake, or perhaps he never found sleep. Either way, the young man lay awake the entire night, avoiding the moon but finding his eyes drawn to the silver orb like a fish to water. It was as if he hoped to find some answer written on the craggy surface to confirm one of his wild thoughts. Anything to take him out of his madness.

     Finally, the sun replaced the moon in Cassie's windo. Drake lay quietly, waiting for his sister to awake. He was an early riser, so it wouldn't look odd. The front door creaked as it quickly opened and closed. Drake sat up. He wanted to talk to Truth, but what about? Ask her if she slept with Edmund? No, he could just look at her and that would answer his question. He knew her so well. Standing up as quietly as he could, Drake took a step to the door and opened it slowly, looking out into the main room. His father stood at the small stove with his back to Drake. Releasing his held breath, Drake opened the door wider and stepped into the room, a floorboard groaning beneath him. The large man whirled around. "Oh, Drake. You startled me."

     "I'm sorry, Father." Drake paused. "What were you doing outside? I thought you were Truth."

     He held up two white objects in his large hand. "Eggs. Thought I would make breakfast."

     Drake took a step forward. "Father, I usually do that -"

     "Exactly. Which is why I would like to make it this morning."

     "Very well... But I still don't understand why."

     His father turned back to the stove. He bent down to check the embers underneath. "I've been putting a lot of pressure and stress on you lately with Truth being here, and then of course there's Leanne's predicament. And your birthday is soon, so I thought I would give you break."

     Drake was taken aback. His father had not treated him so kindly since his mother died. "Thank you," he stammered. The man continued cooking without another word, but Drake did not expect any more than that.

 

Truth had been awake for some time before Edmund finally began to stir beside her. His rather loud snoring had made a deep slumber difficult to attain, but she had managed to find a few hours here and there. Her problem was not of a restless mind, but of an empty one. It concerned her that she was not worrying about what had happened that evening. Every encounter with Drake had left Truth trying to remember it for weeks after. For the angel, it was like sleeping on an empty stomach. There was nothing for her to digest and calm down with. Truth pulled the covers up to her chin with a shiver. The stone walls made for a much colder atmosphere than Drake's small house, and she had no desire to be any closer to the prince. Rolling over on her side, she opened her eyes to look at the sleeping man only to find his eyes wide open and fixed on her.

     "Good morning, lovely," he said.

     She smiled. "Good morning, my prince."

     "Please, you don't have to be so formal here. Edmund will do. But of course in public formalities are required. I don't want anyone prying into my personal life."

     Truth looked down at the satin sheets. "Of course."

     Edmumd, quickly getting up, walked naked out of the bedroom into a small room next door, and returned a minute later. "I'm afraid I have a very busy day ahead of me, so I will be leaving soon." He strode over to the bed and sat down, reaching over to brush the back of his hand against Truth's cheek. "You may stay as long as you wish, but I'm sure Drake will be missing you."

     "He doesn't care what I do."

     "Good! Because even if he did he would have no say over you."

     And neither do you, she thought. No one controls me now.

     Edmund grabbed the robe that was draped over the chair in front of the massive fireplace, and put it on, tying it tightly around his middle. "Thank you for last night. I will call on you next I have time. Farewell."

      Truth looked around the now empty room. The curtains had been closed since last night, leaving a stark darkness over the room. She sighed. The morning was much different than the night - Edmund had acted as though nothing had happened. Maybe it was nothing? No, it was, because it had meant nothing to her. All it had done was drag her even farther down the pathway to hell.



© 2012 Truth


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

190 Views
Added on June 17, 2011
Last Updated on April 8, 2012


Author

Truth
Truth

CO



About
Heya! Truth here. I love writing like none other! It's my ultimate form of relaxation and venting. Most of my stories are based off real life experiences, perhaps a few fantasies of mine thrown in the.. more..

Writing
Black Butler Black Butler

A Poem by Truth