Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Truth

 

Drake wearily opened his eyes to a beautiful sky. Not a cloud covered the pristine baby blue of the sunrise. He closed his eyes and breathed in the crisp morning air, but as his chest began to rise, he felt a weight upon him and his eyes wandered to his body. Drake's vision was obscured by a tangle of black wavy hair. He began to start, but realizing that she was still asleep, thought against it. He took another deep breath, this time taking in her luscious aroma. A smile crept to his lips and warmth swelled in his chest. Truth sighed in her sleep and stirred on top of him, rubbing her cheek against his chest, and was still once more. The spell was not broken. Drake, intoxicated by her scent, ran his fingers along the strands of hair that had fallen on the bare flesh of his neck. A bird chirped in the distance and Drake instantly pulled away, snapped back to the world. He sat up, knocking Truth onto the ground. She yelped in surprise and glanced around, her eyes finally resting on Drake.

     “You!” he roared.

     “Of course it's me!” she snapped back. “You didn't expect me to leave you in that storm last night, did you?” She stood up, brushing the dirt off herself. Only then did Truth notice that she wore no clothes and instantly blushed, crouching back down and pulling her arms across her.

     “Where are your clothes?” Drake asked, not looking away. He seemed unaffected by her nakedness.

     “I ran after you in such a hurry that... I must have dropped my blanket,” she whispered.

     Drake now stood. “Don't be so forgetful, Truth! You'll get yourself killed.”

     Truth smiled. “Now who's being forgetful?” She looked up at him, a hint of smile still there. “I can't die, Drake.”

     Not looking back at her, he silently took off his white tunic and threw it down to her. She caught it just before it hit the ground. Equally as silent she slipped the shirt over her head and stood up, pulling it down over her thighs. He gave her a questioning look and she nodded. Drake began to walk away.

     “Where are you going?”

     Without stopping or turning around, he mumbled, “Home.”

     Truth took a step toward him. “How do you know that's the way?”

     Drake stopped and slowly turned back. “Tell me something,” he said maliciously. “How long have you lived here?”

     Truth glared back at him, but remained silent.

     “Oh!” he cried sarcastically, “that's right. You haven't even been on Earth for twenty-four hours.” He softened his tone and continued walking away from her. “So please, just trust me that I know this place.”

     She still glared at the back of his head, but followed him, her footsteps silent upon the cool ground. Drake did not glance back, not caring if she was following him or not. As he passed the familiar lake of his childhood, he could hear the black water lapping against the sandy shore, but still no sound of the angel behind him. But it did not matter. Right now all he cared about was getting home without anyone seeing him. He hated questions, not to mention that there was no way of explaining what happened. He was not known for running off in the night and returning in the morning with a mysterious woman wearing only his shirt, but then again no one was.

     Drake swore as he approached his house at the edge of the city of Eldor. Leanne, his neighbor, stood outside hanging up laundry. Her blonde hair shimmered in the sun and he could not look away. As she glanced up in his direction, however, he reluctantly averted his gaze and continued to his house next door.

     “Oh, Drake!” he heard her call.

     Drake tried to smile, but could not, so he simply turned toward her. He was not in the mood to be patronized by her infatuation with him. Even though they were the same age and he had grown up with her, she was still such a child, and Drake did not like playing the teacher. She was, however, beautiful, and at times quite irresistible. Her innocence was very charming. “Hi, Leanne,” he managed to call back.

     A smile spread across her face and she began to skip toward him. She then slowed and stopped halfway to him, staring at something behind him. Leanne's look of disappointment caused him to turn around. Truth stood only a few yards away. From a distance she was expressionless, but Drake could see a hint of anger in her stare at Leanne. Remembering Leanne, he looked back to her, unsure of what to say.

     “Oh,” Leanne said, downcast. “Sorry to bother you.”

     Drake was still speechless.

     “Thank you,” Truth said behind him. He felt her hand on his shoulder, her grip hard, and followed her as she led him away. They came up to side of the house, Leanne now out of sight, and he shrugged her hand off.

     “What the hell was that for?” he stammered.

     Truth looked rather astonished. “I just saved you, didn't I? Look at her!” she said defiantly.

     Drake's face flushed red with anger. “What's wrong with Leanne? And why would you think I ever need saving?”

     “She's an immature, lustful, stupid girl! You deserve better than that. I was trying to help you.” She glanced down at the street and began to walk away.

     Drake quickly grabbed her arm. “Don't do that.” Her eyes flicked at him for a moment and back away. “Stop trying to act so high and mighty. Only last night you were crying that you were so helpless. And besides, maybe I don't want your help.”

     “Very well,” she whispered indifferently.

     “What's that supposed to mean?”

     Truth smirked. “Exactly what it means. I won't help you.”

     Drake was taken aback. “And while you're at it, just stay away from me. Father will insist on you staying for who knows how long, so we'll just have to live with each other the best we can. So leave me alone and everything will be fine.”

     She stared emotionless at his hand on her arm. “If that is what you think is best, then so be it.” She gently pulled away from him and went to the front door. It opened as she walked up to it and closed behind her without human assistance. Drake sighed and followed her, already creating a story in his head, but when he opened the door, the main room was empty. Everything was as he had left it. Both his father's and sister's bedroom doors were closed. Glancing out the window, he saw the sun creeping up over the distant mountains. It was still early, but he was surprised that they were not awake yet.     

     Just as he was about to open Cassie's door, it swung open and Cassie stood there in her nightgown, rubbing her large green eyes. “Good morning, Brother,” she yawned.

     Drake smiled. Cassie always made him happy. “Good morning, Cassie.” He swooped down and picked her up with a hug.

     “Can I go wake up Papa?”

     “Only if I can come with you.” Drake carried her to the other door and opened it with a low creak. She immediately giggled.

     “Wake up, Papa, you sleepy head!”

     Drake's father shot up, eyes still closed. He wearily opened one at them and smiled. “Mornin', Sweetheart,” he said groggily, and fell back down on the bed, spreading his thick arms and stretching. “Drake.”

     “Yes, Father?” He set Cassie down and she ran to the bed, bouncing on it.

     “How is the woman?”

     “I don't know, Father.”

     The man grunted as his daughter jumped on him. “Then go find out.”

     Drake left the room and went to his own. Truth lay in his bed, apparently asleep. He knew better, but told his father otherwise. Returning to the other room, “She's still asleep,” he murmured.

     Another grunt form his father. He now sat up in the large bed, Cassie in his lap. “Who is, Papa? You mean the angel-lady?” asked the girl, innocently.

     Drake's heart skipped a beat and the color drained from his face. “Why - why do you call her that?”

     “She had wings. Big black ones.”

     Drake coughed, trying to mask his nervousness. “It was probably just a shadow.”

     “It was dark, Cass-”

     “But she glowed!” Her father and brother were silent. “Okay, maybe she's not an angel, but she is special. I can feel it. And she's super pretty! Prettier than Leanne...” Her father gave her a warning glance. “Well, is she okay? When can I see her?” Concern now dominated her features, but the expression did not suit her well.

     The large man laughed, shaking Cassie on top of him. “You can bring her some hot soup when she wakes up.” Cassie squealed with delight. “And Drake, could you lend the young lady some of your clothes? I don't think a naked woman in our house is what we need right now.” He winked at his son and Cassie giggled.

     Drake's face returned to its normal shade of tan. “How long do you plan on her staying?”

     “As long as she needs.”

     “Yes, Father.”



© 2012 Truth


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Cassie is an adorable little girl.

I'm really liking where this story is going. Drake, though I find him very whiny, is turning out to be an interesting character.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

198 Views
1 Review
Added on May 11, 2011
Last Updated on April 8, 2012


Author

Truth
Truth

CO



About
Heya! Truth here. I love writing like none other! It's my ultimate form of relaxation and venting. Most of my stories are based off real life experiences, perhaps a few fantasies of mine thrown in the.. more..

Writing
Black Butler Black Butler

A Poem by Truth