You remember Dr. Fence don't you?

You remember Dr. Fence don't you?

A Chapter by New Theory
"

Dr Fence from "Improbable Inappropriate", in his own original story.

"
It was late in the evening and Dr. Fence had packed up all his books in his backpack. He checked to see if he had locked his desktop and got up to leave. 
"Good bye"  he said to his desk as if it was going to reply and wave back to him. He smiled thinking about his class earlier that day while walking towards where he had parked his bike. He used to ride his bicycle as he lived in the campus in the teacher's quarters. He was bachelor all his life and had devoted his life to research.
He reached his room in a few minutes, parked his bike and pretty much hurried inside to his apartment. When he reached inside his room, everything was the way he had left behind, perfectly ordered and clean. His expressions changed now from the smart, happy, mature professor to that of a lonely, sad look. It was as if he took out the mask he used to wear in the public when he reached his room.
He placed the keys to his room in the bowl along with the rest of the keys lying there, hung his bag and coat at the hanger, took out his shoes and walked slowly towards his bedroom, on the way picking up an apple from the refrigerator. His face had a composed look as he entered the bed room and locked it. A voice echoed and the fluorescent lights came to life, lightening up the whole room.
"Welcome,  Dr. Fence."
"Stats, How much is done?" Fence asked as he took a bite from the apple.
"The 98904B5 shows 96 percent match."
"Perfect, did you find any other Universe with a match above 90 percent ??"
"The 56345D8 spiked today to a 98 percent match and then quickly declined to 37 percent."
"It's one of the most unstable universes, that we've faced." Dr Fence said as he looked over through the various monitors, going through the logs.
Dr Fence had over the years carried out this single experiment, secretly in his quarters. This experiment could very well change human history. He was a genius who deserved a Nobel prize for physics years before that day, but he kept his knowledge hidden. 
When he taught physics to his students in college it was like a NASA scientist teaching alphabets to children. He didn't mind the cover he had put up. He had a different plan in his mind. The only goal he ever thought of, for which he tried with all his intellect and now was so close to grasping.
He had single handedly developed a machine: Stats- that could look beyond universes, into the various other universes in the multiverse, many of which were similar to ours with the same counterpart of us living there, doing things maybe a but slightly different way, or in a different place.
His motivation to discover this came from the most powerful emotion a man can ever experience. Love. 
Love for the only woman he had ever loved or we can say the loss of her love. He loved her very much. Betsy, she was the girl he fell in love with who he had met in grad school. She had become her whole universe but fate had different plans. 14th February 2010, was the day she died in a car accident. Some jerks drunk driving cost her life and his life along with it. It had left him broken. He couldn't fight with fate or could he? It almost drove him mad and he made it his one and only wish to find her and take her back from fate. 
"Nothing is impossible." he had said to himself.
And after years in his research he finally made a break through that there were mirror universes apart from ours. Mirror universes are the set of parallel universe which are similar to our own, where only due a single thing happening differently, have changed the complete universes. While monitoring these vast set of universes, his only wish was to find a universe where Betsy lived. So he could see her how their life would turn up to be if she was alive.
In one universe she had left him for some other guy, in another he had left her for someone else. In yet another they had never fallen in love. There were so many possibilities, every alternate timeline spawning a different universe altogether. After searching for a very long time, he found the one where both of them were together. It was exactly the way he had imagined his life would be and that universe was 98904B5. 
He had been monitoring it for over a year now, seeing his other self in that universe, who was working as a professor in the same University of Gorfred along with his wife Betsy who worked as the professor of Chemistry.
He moved the cursor to one of the screens which showed static as he clicked a few commands at the keyboard.
"Show Universe 98904B5. Subject Betsy" the command took sometime to execute and the static dissolved to show a video feed of Dr.Fence and Betsy in their house in that universe. 
He held her in his arms, giving her a hug. Both had a very pleasant expression on their face, eleven years since they were married and still the love was visible as good as new.
"Why does he get to be with her, while I am here alone?"  he said to himself as a tear rolled down his eyes.
"This was supposed to be me." he said glaring over the monitor which showed his other self as he kissed her and hugged her before going out to play golf. He played golf in the other universe. God forbid if he had ever touched a golf club in his entire life time here.
Dr Fence looked at Betsy for a little more time on his monitor zooming in a little more on her face close enough so he could kiss the monitor on her lips.
"I love you Betsy."  


© 2014 New Theory


Author's Note

New Theory
I think I will write another two or more of Mr Fence stories, like a trilogy. Well go ahead read it. Sorry for bad grammar so help me edit it and all reviews welcome.
For more info on Mirror Universe, I got the idea from star trek mirror universe.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This reminds me both of the movie "The Time Machine" and William Sleator's novel which the name has escaped me. >.<
I love the idea of millions of other universes and possibilities, it's mind boggling and wondrous.
...
I'm sorry, I just laughed a little near the end, he's jealous of himself. That's a little weird. xD
Well done anywho!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

New Theory

9 Years Ago

Thank you Blue. :). It gets even more wierder in the next chapter.
Bluefire

9 Years Ago

^^ You're welcome.



Reviews

This reminds me both of the movie "The Time Machine" and William Sleator's novel which the name has escaped me. >.<
I love the idea of millions of other universes and possibilities, it's mind boggling and wondrous.
...
I'm sorry, I just laughed a little near the end, he's jealous of himself. That's a little weird. xD
Well done anywho!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

New Theory

9 Years Ago

Thank you Blue. :). It gets even more wierder in the next chapter.
Bluefire

9 Years Ago

^^ You're welcome.
The only thing now is I would say you tell more than you show. Like the His expression went from happy to sad. (Thats telling) try showing us how his expression changed. Still a good story and I still think you did a good job with it

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Taylor_McCutcheon

10 Years Ago

Its a common problem with most writers. (Me included) youll get it :)
New Theory

10 Years Ago

I am trying to write more, practicing it here so I get over it.
Taylor_McCutcheon

10 Years Ago

exactly :)
"in the campus in the teachers quarters" It should be teachers' quarters.

"hanged his bag and coat at the hanger," 'hanged' should be 'hung'

"Stats, How much is it done?" You do not need the word 'it' in this line.

"that we have faced." I would change 'we have' to we've since it is being used in dialogue.

"Dr Fence had over the years carried out this single experiment, secretly in his quarters, this experiment could very well change human history, he was a genius who deserved a Nobel prize for physics years before that day, but he kept his knowledge hidden."
This section is a huge run-on sentence and I would break it up into smaller sentences.

"doing things maybe a but slightly different way, or in a different place." This sentence doesn't quite make sense and I'm not sure how you wanted it worded.

"were mirror universes apart from ours." The word 'mirror' should be 'parallel'

"in other he had left her for someone else," The word 'other' should be 'another'

"In one universe she had left him for some other guy, in other he had left her for someone else, in one universe they never fell in love. There was so many possibilities in the numerous universes. After going through the many universes he found the universe where both of them were together, it was the way he had imagined his life would be and that universe was 98904B5. He had been monitoring it for over a year seeing his other self in that universe who was working in the same university along with wife Betsy who used to teach chemistry."
This paragraph has the word 'universe' written too many times. It becomes overly repetitive and makes the paragraph's concept harder to grasp for the reader when you continually read the same word. I would take it out in some areas and try to find a synonym for it in other spots. I hope that makes sense for you.

I really liked this continuation of your other story. It is really sweet that he is trying to find Betsy again. I also liked the scientific take on the story. It made it really interesting.
You had some minor errors that are really easy to fix and I look forward to seeing how you continue on with this.

~Stefanie

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

New Theory

10 Years Ago

Thank you Stefanie, I will edit the story tonight and see that everything you have mentioned here is.. read more
New Theory

10 Years Ago

I have done a few changes, hope I its better now, as far as the mirror universe, I have explained it.. read more
The same review I left for your last story really. lol Good read and I really hope you do do the trilogy. Maybe a book as well ;)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

New Theory

10 Years Ago

I am so lazy for editing, I will definitely take editing this piece seriously. Thanks for the review.. read more
Taylor_McCutcheon

10 Years Ago

No problem :)
New Theory

10 Years Ago

I have made a few changes now, hope its better now.
You are building this up extremely well! I enjoyed how you portrayed how someone might reach this conclusion and it really shows his anger. Another excellent piece of writing! Looking forward to more!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

New Theory

10 Years Ago

Thanks Miles :).
This is really awesome! Please do write more of it :))

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

New Theory

10 Years Ago

Thank you Amal N, I am presently doing it :). I a glad you liked it.
This is amazing i hope you do write more of this story keep up the great work and keep them coming

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

New Theory

10 Years Ago

Thank you Melissa.... :)
melissa

10 Years Ago

You're welcome
NT well written ...there is one little error that is , its parallel universe and not mirror universe ............
btw gud imagination new theory ,.....(y)...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

New Theory

10 Years Ago

Parallel universe are the ones where there maybe many differences, earth may be there or may not be .. read more
Utkarsh Singh

10 Years Ago

check pm ........
New Theory

10 Years Ago

ok :D ..........................
I saw no bad grammar Theory.This was a very interesting story.You have created a character with a very likable personality.Sad though but who knows what will happen in the other stories ,he might get his girl yet :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Vidya Bacchus

10 Years Ago

I did .I hope he does :)
New Theory

10 Years Ago

:)...............................
New Theory

10 Years Ago

The next one is "Broken Boundaries"

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

299 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 1, 2014
Last Updated on May 29, 2014


Author

New Theory
New Theory

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India



About
I am a lazy writer, a day dreamer with lots of ideas which take me to a different land often. I often just jot down ideas which I never really work upon. An avid fan of horror, I am one who you ca.. more..

Writing
Accidentally Accidentally

A Chapter by New Theory



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Black Angel Black Angel

A Poem by s y e


Waiting Waiting

A Poem by New Theory