No Turning Back

No Turning Back

A Chapter by New Theory
"

The final story for Dr. Fence. After "Broken Boundaries".

"
"What is an alternate timeline?" Dr Fence asked his class which, as usual, was filled with students. Everyone watched with bated breathe for him to unravel yet another interesting topic to them.

"Back to the Future, Part Two!" someone shouted from the back of the hall.

"Great Scott! Marty, is that you?" Fence said, imitating Dr. Emmet Brown from the movie.

The class giggled on for some time as Dr. Fence let it go on for a bit. He raised his hand after a minute or so in a gesture for the students to start paying attention again.

"An alternate timeline is the one where due to a change in decision. For example, if I am walking in a line and if I choose to go right, it creates one time line while if I choose to go left, another one is created," he said while drawing a diagram on the board.

"Let us suppose I was walking in a line, took a right in one time line and a left in another timeline and, in some time in future, in the left timeline, I chose to take a right. I would reach the original timeline, hence that time line converges to a single future." 

"So are you saying all timelines will converge?" Jessie asked.

"Eventually, yes. I mean, of course all timelines will converge at the final point. The point when all the universe will collapse," Dr. Fence explained.

"But, some of the timelines converge at a point before the universe collapses. Now if we consider each timeline to create a separate universe, it would mean that when that alternate timeline collapses to the original timeline, it will mean that this universe will also collapse and end but it cannot happen as all parallel universes can collapse only at a single point simultaneously or they all would become unstable. Hence, all alternate timelines will not each create a separate universe. But only those timelines which will never meet again will form a separate universe and that is what we call a mirror universe." Dr. Fence completed.

He didn't realize how quiet the class had become, he looked at everyone and noticed how everyone had a blank expression on their faces. He realized that today's concept was not easy to grasp for everyone.

The bell buzzed and marked the end of the lecture. It was as if life came back to all the students as the usual noise increased in the hall.

Dr Fence quietly gathered all his books and started moving back to his cabin.

"Excuse me, Dr. Fence." It was Jessie.

"Not today, please, Jessie, can we do this tomorrow. I am a little tired." The words almost flew out of Dr. Fence’s mouth.

"I am sorry."

"It’s OK."

Dr. Fence went straight to his office. Ever since he had stepped over and met Betsy, everything had changed. He thought he could live with that " to live the rest of his life with that last hug, with that last kiss. But it wasn't so. It was even more excruciating than ever to be away from her. It was making him mad, the pain was just too intense to bear for being away from her.

He stayed in his office for another couple of minutes just sitting there trying to check certain assignments when he just couldn't take it anymore, he left for his apartment.

Upon entering the apartment it was as if he was in a trance. He wasn't thinking straight anymore, his eyes were determined to do something. Something that would change everything else from now on.

He went straight to his room and ordered Stats "Start execution - Crossover."

The computer buzzed and started the usual process. While waiting for the process to complete, he went to his closet and got the vial of anesthetic which he had used on Betsy last time.

He waited for the process to complete and as soon as it was completed he made the command to depart.

"Start transfer, set clock for 30 minutes and return back from now." 

In a flash, he was standing in front of the Fence's apartment. It was already getting dark. He was shivering with excitement for what he was going to do. This could be the thing that would make him stay with Betsy forever or would mean his death. He stood there for sometime and then, after a few moments, he took out the vial and poured it on the handkerchief and started taking his steps towards the house.

Before he could reach for the door, the door opened and from there came out Dr. Fence. He was sweating as if he had just finished a marathon or something, he didn't pay attention to the person who looked suspiciously like him and just walked straight at him who was ready with the handkerchief. He promptly put it on Dr.Fence’s face and he collapsed in a few seconds, barely putting up a fight.

When the alternate Dr. Fence was finally unconscious, he started the following commands.

"Transport Back Now, universe 98904B5 subject Dr. Fence. Truncate Data and Shutdown."

As soon as he was done with it Dr. Fence was out of his sight - transported back to the original universe and he was left here to replace him. Finally his wish of living with Betsy had come true. He had finally made it, now he would live the life he was meant to and the other Dr. Fence will be stuck there as all the data was destroyed which would enable him to come back.

With a victorious smile he entered the house of the Fence's apartments but on opening the door he couldn't believe his eyes. Betsy was covered in blood lying dead on the hallway. His legs refused to move any further. He couldn't believe his eyes, no words came out of his mouth when he tried and it all was clear now, why Dr. Fence was in such a hurry and disturbed state when he came out from the room. He tried to walk over to her and he slowly managed to reach her, she was definitely dead. 

The blood had dried around her body and it was evident that she was dead for a few minutes now. He held her dead body and, in anguish, finally burst into tears. 

"No, This can't be, not now. Not again. No! God, no!"

Far away from all this, in the original universe, when the other Dr. Fence woke up. He stood calmly and exited the room to pick up an 
apple. While taking a bite, he thought to himself as a sly smiled crossed his lips.

"I knew it all along. I am so glad I am out of that hell. I hated that woman, Betsy. So, I killed her."


© 2014 New Theory


Author's Note

New Theory
A big shout out for a very special friend of mine "Rachelle" "http://www.writerscafe.org/sweetbind" who helped me edit this and finish it. Do check her profile for some really awesome poems :). Thanks, tell me how you liked the series, do you want more science fiction?? :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh snap... It's a double turn to the dark side! Very, VERY well done sir! So are you leaving it up to reader speculation again, or do you plan on continuing this? Either way, these stories have been amazing to read and always grab my attention the best way possible.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

New Theory

9 Years Ago

Thank you Miles :) . I will keep trying to write more interesting stories. The kinda ones I used to .. read more



Reviews

Ho boy that was quite the ending! I was also very riveted by the philosophical discussion in class

Posted 9 Years Ago


Gyaaa! Wasn't expecting that! What and awesome ending!
Well done! =o

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

New Theory

9 Years Ago

Thank you :) . I am very happy you liked the ending :)
Bluefire

9 Years Ago

You're welcome. ^^
I love reading sci-fi books and I applaud those who can write them. This is great! I'm intrigued. That ending just.. wow. Completely blew me out of the water! I definitely want to know what is going to happen next!! (:

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

New Theory

9 Years Ago

Thank you. I hope I can churn out stories, you can enjoy and with it improve my writing. I have good.. read more
Madalyn Beck

9 Years Ago

You are doing a great job with it. Just keep writing! (:
New Theory

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much Madalyn :)
FREE author website
Authors are creating beautiful personal websites with Myauthor.space for FREE! Try us before you spend $1000s of dollars
Wow, didn't expect this ending!
Completely brilliant, I loved it :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

New Theory

9 Years Ago

Thank you Amal :)
New Theory, A good story, I enjoyed reading.
Will

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

New Theory

9 Years Ago

Thank you Will
I still think you should write a book :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

New Theory

9 Years Ago

Thank you Taylor :) Means a lot for me when it comes from good authors like you :)
Taylor_McCutcheon

9 Years Ago

aw thank you :)
New Theory

9 Years Ago

:).............................
I think you should turn this into a book because it really good i hope you get all of your writing published because I want a copy of them.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

New Theory

9 Years Ago

Thank you Melissa :)
melissa

9 Years Ago

You're welcome
An interesting read and well done.
"An alternate timeline is the one due to a change in decision," (take out the where, it doesn't seem to fit here." Also, didn't would probably be better as did not.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

New Theory

9 Years Ago

Thank you KLGoode for the review :). I will fix those asap. I hope you enjoyed the story :)
Oh snap... It's a double turn to the dark side! Very, VERY well done sir! So are you leaving it up to reader speculation again, or do you plan on continuing this? Either way, these stories have been amazing to read and always grab my attention the best way possible.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

New Theory

9 Years Ago

Thank you Miles :) . I will keep trying to write more interesting stories. The kinda ones I used to .. read more
disable viewing first until I can go over it?

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

New Theory

9 Years Ago

Thanks Science Lady for helping me edit it. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

306 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 3, 2014
Last Updated on May 29, 2014


Author

New Theory
New Theory

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India



About
I am a lazy writer, a day dreamer with lots of ideas which take me to a different land often. I often just jot down ideas which I never really work upon. An avid fan of horror, I am one who you ca.. more..

Writing
Accidentally Accidentally

A Chapter by New Theory



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Waiting Waiting

A Poem by New Theory


~ Reflection ~ Reflection

A Poem by s y e