Home

Home

A Story by fishball
"

warm and familiar

"

I dragged my feet across the concrete, feeling my head getting heavier by the second. It was another Friday afternoon and another weekend is up ahead. The only thing I’m looking forward to right now is getting all the rest I could get to make up for the stressful week that had passed. My mind wanders and all I could think about was home.


People say that home doesn't have to be a place, and that it can be a person, too. And it's true because I've found a home in many people I've met. My first home was with my mother, holding me in her arms. As a child, I’d hear her softly singing me a lullaby even with a broken voice. But it didn’t hurt my ears at all. Perhaps her whispers were the first music I ever appreciated, because that’s how she made all my tears disappear. I remember how her warmth was enough to put me to sleep, how she silenced my cries amongst the clapping of thunder and the flashes of light. She was my cradle and my shelter from the storm raging outside.


I hear the clunking of tin cans and plastic bottles and look up to see a bunch of street kids carrying a sack of trash they’ve collected on the street. They pass by without so much as a stare lingering on the books I’m carrying.


My second home would be with my friends, who knew who I am and who I’m not. The only ones who’d wake me up from trying to be something I’m not, and pull me out of the darkness that exists in my mind. They became a shoulder to cry on when the burden was too heavy. Even for a little while, they’d be my companions in the canteen or in the classroom. They’ve put up with the chaos happening inside me, comforted me in every breakdown and were willing to face my demons with me. Unknowingly, they became the teachers who taught me the value of each bond I shared with every person. Every time I received hugs, words of support and pieces of advice from them, I get to feel a little less invisible in a place I feel I don’t belong to.


A group of teenagers pass by, who seemed to be out on a racket. They reminded me of the times I went out with my own friends. I can hear their laughter as they show each other pictures and videos on their phones, and I can remember how my friends and I would joke around and almost get hit by the cars speeding through the road.


Another home would be with the strangers I meet on the sidewalks and in shops. A simple ‘Good morning!’ would start my day and would make me feel more at ease when I’m far from home. A simple smile with a sideways glance would make me think that I can handle walking this street alone every day. It puts a little smile on the face that always frowned on the people it didn’t know. And somehow, whenever a little compliment or a joke is said, I find myself chuckling by the lightheartedness of the people I interact with. A simple act of kindness, like the usual asking for directions or assisting with the luggage, makes me think that there’s no crime in helping a person you do not know the name of. No need for caution nor intimidation, just a helping hand reaching out some kindness.


At last, I feel the cool wind of the afternoon blowing in my face. The setting sun casts the shadow of two figures approaching me, an old lady and her dog. When we are finally at a closer distance, the lady gets the chance to say ‘Good afternoon!’ in a cheery voice. And I return it with the same greeting and a smile as warm as the sunset.


Home is a familiar and warm place. It is full of smiles and comfort. It’s the safety I feel as I walk the same path each day with the sun. I’m sure all of those who passed by had something or someone to return to, somewhere to rest and close their eyes for a few hours before going back into the reality of their world; somewhere to love and be loved, to need and be needed.


The last of the sun’s light guides me as I find my way back home.

© 2020 fishball


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

i love this. very relatable and descriptive, the structure also pulls it together nicely.

Posted 3 Years Ago


RANE!!! I AM AT AWE!!!! your piece made me so soft and i cried. Your analogy of a home is so beautiful. i literally can imagine you in this. i love how you put bits of yourself in your story because it just screams RANENIAB to me AAAAAAAA i love this so much :)

Posted 3 Years Ago


This story really is touching and well thought out. The story truly explores the idea of what exactly is home for you and the idea of familiarity. The sentence structure is very easy to understand and relatable, a very polished work.

Posted 3 Years Ago


AHHHHH this really touched my heart and soul! I loved how you described what the four lettered word meant to you, it was really touching! I kind of pictured all of it in my head, it does remind me of school and walking home with you, I kinda laughed at the " almost get hit by the cars speeding through the road" part looool

Posted 3 Years Ago


It reminds me of Grade 11 Benitez!!! Ang ganda ng story. Huhuhu.

Posted 3 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

49 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 14, 2020
Last Updated on September 14, 2020

Author

fishball
fishball

Writing
the poet the poet

A Poem by fishball


the savior the savior

A Poem by fishball


the spirit the spirit

A Poem by fishball



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


her eyes her eyes

A Poem by mariposa


A Short Love Story A Short Love Story

A Story by Ysa