The Professor (Tentative Title) Chapter Seven

The Professor (Tentative Title) Chapter Seven

A Chapter by Nyida Strong

CHAPTER 7

She had to bite down her fear, eat it, and use it as fuel just like any other meal. Her fear could not control her, as is had earlier that day. She had almost cost everything the Professor was working for, whatever it was. Better was it to be dead than to be a liability to the cause.

She understood the logistics of having a meeting underground. The sound wouldn't make it past the several feet of earth, so anyone could talk, shout or even build without having to worry. Light wouldn't be seen either. The only problem she could think of was alternative escape routes. It was just stupid to have only the one point of access and egress. When her feet his the pack earth at the bottom of the ladder, she could see only the light from Amos' lantern above and hardly a sound at all.

Her eyes opened wide to see in the pitch darkness. She could feel herself loosing grip on her fear. All she wanted was out, the walls felt as if they were going to crush her, the air felt as though it was being sucked right out of her lungs. The struggle to keep her panic down was almost too much, her hands were shaking and she had broken into a cold sweat. What the hell was taking the Professor so long? She heard his feet drop nearby, his voice gently calling for her. She tried to yank her hand away when she felt something grip it. He'd found her in the darkness and wasn't wanting to let her go, not until he knew she was all right. Monroe couldn't make herself answer, too afraid a scream would escape her lips instead of words.

Amos finally arrived with the lantern, apologizing for not sending it down first. He said he'd lead the way because they had designed the tunnels to be easy to get lost in.

"Just what I need," Monroe thought, " to get lose underground and die here."

The Professor was studying her closely, he knew she had to be biting down a panic attack again. That afternoon, she'd had no warning, no time to prepare herself. Now she was in the same situation and it looked as if all her energy was going to be used just to keep herself from breaking into a panic. The narrow path didn't help. Keeping one hand on her shoulder, he fell in step behind her. He wanted nothing more than to spare her from this pain, but there was no way around it. She was tense, shaking, bit still managing to keep her feet moving forward.

"Not too far, just a few hundred yards," Amos said, picking up on Monroe's fear.

Finally, the tunnel turned to a seemingly solid wall of earth. Monroe's heart sank, thinking that Amos had gotten them lost in this terrifying labyrinth and they'd die down in that darkness. Instead of becoming her grave, it became a sanctuary. Amos pushed on the middle of the wall. Turning to the Professor, the man grinned as, a few moments later, the rock wall opened to a three foot wide doorway. The three of them passed through and the door of rock sealed itself behind them.

Monroe was greeted, not by a damp tunnel, but a large cavern. It was warm, dry, and well lit, even though it was so far under the surface, at least fifty feet by Monroe's estimate. People were everywhere busying themselves with moving loads, some ferreting around the engines of old military vehicles.

"You've been busy, Amos," the Professor grinned, "very busy indeed."

"Things are going well, just as you thought. We've done everything you asked and are right on schedule. Only a few more things to complete, then we'll be ready."

"Sorry," Monroe asked, "What things?"

Amos looked at the Professor, who only shook his head slightly. Monroe felt her anger well up in her chest, she was being excluded. She was the one person who had stuck with the Professor, come what may, and he was keeping her out of the loop?

"Just so you know, sir, I stopped being a child and became a soldier when my friends were slaughtered at a protest right in front of me. I'm pretty sure if I can handle that and being God knows how far under ground, I can handle your plan." Her voice had been low, calm, and controlled. Before the Professor could tell her yet again that this was for her protection, she walked away and left him standing there.

"Sir, you've not told her? Why?" Amos asked.

He sighed heavily, "I'm trying to protect her. She left everything, became a criminal, to fight for freedom. I don't want anything to hurt her."

"She's strong and tenacious, I'll give her that. She bottles fear very well, a skill she'll need one day. But don't think it hurts her, knowing that you're keeping something?"

"Perhaps," he paused, watching the girl sit at the edge of the tunnel that brought them. "She'll have to know sooner or later, I suppose."

"If you want to keep her trust, you better tell her sooner," Amos advised.




© 2013 Nyida Strong


Author's Note

Nyida Strong
My spelling is English, not American.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

Stats

132 Views
Added on May 14, 2013
Last Updated on May 14, 2013


Author

Nyida Strong
Nyida Strong

NV



About
When I first discovered my talent for writing, I was thirteen. I discovered that my loneliness wasn't the worst thing in the world. By creating other places, other worlds, other characters, I wasn't s.. more..

Writing
Finally Finally

A Story by Nyida Strong