How fast the world is growing

How fast the world is growing

A Story by olachery

When I was a kid I loved to visit my grandparent’s home. There would always be lots of kids in the neighborhood to play with. The journey to the house itself would be wonderful with all the greenery around and it always provided a nostalgic moment to cherish We loved to play football, cricket, and whatever we could. I still remember the day when I followed the moon while traveling on a bus and thought what wonderful creatures Mother Nature has built for us. We waited for the exams to be over so that we could enjoy leisure time with friends. We would return home late and our parents used to shout.

My father used to say how he struggled during his childhood days to go to school. My grandfather was a merchant and was rich enough to own some land. I never listened to my father’s words. As a kid, I could have never imagined how his childhood days were as I could see all luxury around. I often fought with him for books. I needed books fresh from the store with all the fragrance and would read the whole story before the school opened One of the finest gifts that I received from my parents was education. My father never said "NO" whenever I asked him that I would pursue my higher education. He knew how important education was as he never had that opportunity to continue his studies as he had to continue his grandfather's business. That was the tradition. He could have asked me to concentrate on business but he never did.

We had lands wherein my grandfather harvested rice and it was a wonderful memory with all family members plowing in the field. My parents taught me how to respect elders. Ours was the only house in that area and the next one was quite far. During those days we were known by our family name as people respected us with pride. My mother’s father had a mill wherein people weaved cloths. It was easy for educated members to get a government job but people never concentrated on education. Instead, they had their own family business to go for. It wasn't a different scenario in our family too. 

As the time passed by, parents provided their children the best education they could give and it made wonders in their lives. Lot of people moved to foreign countries and the money was utilized to buy some land in the neighborhood or invested in some businesses. Nowadays none are farmers. Everyone seems to be rich. It made a lot of differences to the kids. There is no greenery nearby. Those days are gone. I could see 2 or 3 houses built next to our home. The population is a big concern in the current world. No one cares about family values but wants to make money somehow. No one listens to elders' words.
            
I wonder how I would be able to describe our childhood days to the next generation. They would either feel it as fancy or a fairytale.

© 2020 olachery


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

26 Views
Added on October 17, 2020
Last Updated on October 17, 2020

Author

olachery
olachery

About
I am an avid reader. Loves reading motivational stories, and fiction. I try to find meaning in things that look different and are at times out of place. more..

Writing
Loneliness Loneliness

A Story by olachery