Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by The Fallen

My armor clinked with every step I took down the dimly lit, vast hallway of my palace. I fingered my sword's hilt, a powerful blade called Legend, anxiously tapping my fingernail against it occasionally. I couldn't remember a time I'd required this much armor for a simple border skirmish. I could not recall a time any of us had required this much armor, or had to carry as much of a variety of heavy-duty weapons.

It was all for nessecary protection against the Shadow Realm, our rival kingdom of shapeshifters, like us, who was getting stronger, more influential, by the day.

First, it was rounding up wild horses and mercilessly stealing packs of working dogs and mules from human villages to use to haul supplies and ride in battle. Even taking human's crops and supplies when they were more than capable of producing their own. 'Lazy.'

Next, capturing and brainwashing the mystical creatures such as dragons, griffins, unicorns and fairies, that worked willingly for my kingdom. 'Disgraceful.'

Then, using any illegal spell she could get her hands on, Finnra sieged us relentlessly, using ignoble tactics that Casonians would cut of their dominant limbs before resorting to. 'Shameless.'

And, worst of all, using the captives' empty positions in the royal court and battle forces to her advantage, most likely torturing their information out of them. Their long absence had provided weak spots for her to target and we could not train others to take their place fast or efficiently enough. And, when they did finally rise to fill the position, they were always severely targeted in battle. 'Stryder... How I need you with me now...'

Casonia is falling apart. Not long ago, I nearly evacuated the kingdom in fear for my subjects' safety when Finnra attacked. We just barely drove her off.

My mother's death, Queen Arlinia, didn't help matters, the mighty tigress having been killed nearly a year ago by Finnra's venom. I couldn't even bear to glimpse at one of her portraits hanging in the hallway as I passed the infirmary.

Carsina, my kingdom's renowned Healer and mate of my former mentor, the white bear Beltaro, trotted out in her true form as a bobcat. I stopped and took my true form as a wolf, turning to her. She looked exhausted. A border skirmish, having been a result of the Shadow Realm trying to extend their territory into our lands, brought her many wounded.

"Fatalities?" I inquired.

"The original patrol of fifteen are all dead. The shifters you sent for back up..."

"Yes..?"

"Seventeen out of thirty dead, the rest severely injured. All of the living are marred permanently."

I placed a gentle paw on my "second mother's" back comfortingly. Her mindfulness of me had become more intense since the queen passed. She was a good friend of Carsina's.

I set off down the hallway again, feeling like a failure of a princess. My subjects all looked to me for a comfort, protector and a victorious leader. But I hardly felt like any of those things in that dark time. Whenever I heard my full title, I felt so empty. I tried to divert my gaze from the place on any paper that had 'Princess Sitkania Atari Vendelsia' signed on it.

I hurried to my refuge before I had a panic attack right there in the hallway. 'It's becoming so overwhelming...'

I threw open the doors of the ballroom, almost looking down to make sure my gown and dancing shoes were in place, to fix my hair unconsciously, blushing madly, as I awaited my dance instructor and lover to embrace me. I sigh. Stryder Elscar. One of the captives; a nobleman and excellent warrior, with his scythe by the name of Ember, a formidable weapon. Kind, patient with my shy nature when it came to intimate acts, graceful, strong, brave, intelligent... I loved him... I needed him desperately... None of the suitors I had, always sending me love poems and extravagant gifts, could ever compare to the midnight haired, emerald eyed man I had fallen so hard for.

Shedding my armor as I go, I slowly made my way to the largest window of the exquisite ballroom that gloriously overlooked the kingdom and a breathtaking view of the velvet, star-speckled sky could be seen at evening balls. But the gray expanse of sky outside was the dreary sight I saw nearly everyday since Casonia began its slow descent, sometimes accompanied with rain or wind. This was not the norm for my country when it came to early spring. Everything was going wrong, and the weather was not cooperating.

On either side of the window hung portraits of my elder brother, Prince Socorro, often known as Arrow, my father, King Cascadeur, and my deceased mother, Queen Arlinia. A portrait of my parents as a happy couple hung on the wall as well. Also...one of Stryder and me...covered by a curtain. I cannot bear to look at it.

I reached up towards the curtain to draw it back but stopped, simply placed my hand on the wall just beneath the picture, and leaned my head on the alabaster stone, fingering the silver locket around my neck that Stryder gave me the night he was captured, bearing a matching golden pendant himself.

A door opened and closed. Footsteps echoed throughout the massive room, bouncing off of the vaulted ceiling. A warm hand was placed on my shoulder.

"Sitka..." a calming voice spoke my name and I sighed.

"Derek," I greeted him, turning to my Recruit and looking into his azure orbs. There's a bond between us, one of great magnitude and powerful capabilities.

His eyes searched my amber ones, worry plain to see on his face. I slide down the wall and sit on the polished floor, Derek joining me.

He held out his hand to me, our shoulders barely touching, and I hesitate. He had professed his love to me, always trying to win my affection and I'd tried to keep him at a distance so that I didn't give him false hope. But it seemed different in my time of despair. I needed his steady hands gently gripping mine, offering me a stronghold.

I laced my fingers through his and leaned my head back, closing my eyes. The weight on my shoulders was becoming too heavy. We needed help. No. We needed more than that.

"Derek... We need a miracle..."





© 2013 The Fallen


Author's Note

The Fallen
Nora's chapter :3 Make sure to review her as well!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What more do or can I say. It's simply amazing! I can't wait to read the next chapter. :D

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

212 Views
1 Review
Added on May 1, 2013
Last Updated on May 1, 2013


Author

The Fallen
The Fallen

Canada



About
Hey guys, Thank you for checking out my profile! A couple things you should know about me; I am extremely inactive as I have gotten into university and it is a lot of work. I also have a job so .. more..

Writing
Monotone Monotone

A Story by The Fallen


The Glass The Glass

A Poem by The Fallen