Chapter 10 - Sybling Rivalry

Chapter 10 - Sybling Rivalry

A Chapter by Patricia Gayle
"

Caleb and Kit come head to head for the last time.

"
Previous Version
This is a previous version of Chapter 10 - Sybling Rivalry.



          With the family once again restricted to the property, Caleb began to spend more and more time with Elizabeth.  He still, however, kept his growing feelings to himself.  She seemed to have feelings toward him, as well.  She spoke softly and gently to him and was much more careful to be “lady-like” when she was in his presence.  She sat with him in the sitting room for hours at a time helping him learn to read and write, and seemed almost sad and a bit disappointed when he had to leave her. 

Mrs. Meyers even seemed to notice the growing attachment they had for each other.  She allowed them more opportunities to be alone, all the time still slipping in regularly to check up on them.  Mr. Meyers, however, was never aware of this.  He kept busy in his study and with his frequent visits to town.  Had he known, however, he may not have been so relaxed about their spending time together.

          Caleb wondered what Mr. Meyers did in town.  Perhaps his trouble had not slowed or come to an end.  Is this why he still keeps his family confined to their home? he thought.  Months passed and other than the occasional run in with his brother, everything remained calm and quiet on the property.  Caleb no longer made trips to town and visitors to the Meyers place were rare.  The family remained cut off from the rest of the world, by Mr. Meyers’ instruction.  What was he so afraid of?  Was he protecting his family from harm or was he protecting them from his secret?

          Another year passed and the family seemed miserable remaining confined to what had become their prison.  Still Mr. Meyers remained busy and did not notice the misery he was putting his family through.  The only member who seemed to remain happy was Elizabeth, who was growing more and more fond of Caleb.  Caleb, being sixteen, and Elizabeth, twelve, still kept their feelings to themselves as best they could.  Mrs. Meyers, and anyone else who would have paid much attention to them, could see how they felt, despite the efforts on both their parts to keep it secret.

 

          One fall afternoon, Caleb was once again confronted by his brother.  Since Kit had come to work for Mr. Meyers he and Caleb had frequent confrontations.  After the first time, however, Caleb had begun to carry a loaded gun on him at all times and, knowing this, Kit remained cautious.  The fact that Caleb was carrying a weapon, however, still did not put an end to the trouble with his brother.

          Caleb stepped out of the house onto the porch.  A cool wind blew across the yard indicating another winter was on its way.  Kit stood in the doorway of the barn watching the house.  Seeing him, Caleb stepped off the porch and walked toward his brother.  He decided to put an end to the trouble with Kit before he could do something to harm the family.  As he approached, Kit stepped back into the barn, Caleb following him all the way to the back. 

As he stepped out the back doors, Kit stopped and turned toward him.  He sneered at Caleb and remarked, “I told ya I’d get ya.”  He reached into his worn coat and pulled out a gun. 

In the past couple of years, Caleb had become a quick draw with a weapon.  With the many confrontations he found himself in, he had begun to practice his marksmanship at every available opportunity. 

He drew his weapon and shot Kit in the arm before he had time to aim.  Kit’s revolver flew from his hand and dropped to the ground.  A look of shock and disbelief spread across his face.  He lunged at Caleb and began beating him with his good arm. 

Caleb dropped his gun and stumbled back against the barn wall. 

Kit, noticing the gun immediately, dropped to the ground and grabbed for it, but Caleb regained his balance and kicked it away.  He scooped it up and turned, putting it on his brother.

Caleb now stood between Kit and his gun.  He backed up slowly and picked up Kit’s revolver never letting him out of his sight.  Caleb now had two guns and Kit stood unarmed.  He stood a moment watching Caleb, then broke and ran around the side of the barn and out of sight.

 

The next day, as Caleb sat with Elizabeth in the sitting room, Kit sneaked into the house and standing in the doorway of the room, prepared to shoot Caleb in the back. 

As he raised his gun, Elizabeth looked up.  Seeing him standing in the doorway ready to open fire, she jumped to her feet. “Caleb!”  She screamed hysterically.

He sprang to his feet and spun on his heels to face Kit.

“Elizabeth, get out of here!” 

Caleb grabbed his gun and pointed it at Kit.  Both stood still, neither making a move to fire on the other.

Mr. Meyers, who had been working in his study, ran down the stairs with Samuel close behind, both with shotguns in hand.  They both took aim at the intruder.  With so many guns pointed in his direction, Kit dropped his and backed toward the front door of the house. 

“Get off my land!  If I ever see you again, I’ll kill you!” Mr. Meyers demanded.

Kit turned and ran off the porch and away from the Meyers’ home.

This was the last the Meyers family saw of Kit.  A new hand was quickly hired to take his place. 

 

          As winter grew closer, Mr. Meyer’s trips into Boston grew less frequent.  At the same time visitors to the Meyers home became more and more frequent.  These visitors, however, were not coming to see the family.  They were there to see Mr. Meyers.  All of Mr. Meyers’ visitors were men not much more than twenty years old.  As soon as they would arrive Mr. Meyers would escort them to his study and speak with them behind closed doors or they would walk out away from the house and family to talk.  The visits were always short and Mr. Meyers nearly always disappeared into his study for several hours afterwards.  He did not discuss the visits with his wife and family, and always remained somewhat mysterious.  Caleb noticed even the family seemed to grow rather suspicious of his actions, though no one ever spoke of it.

 

 



© 2010 Patricia Gayle




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

7 Views
Added on January 1, 2010
Last Updated on March 19, 2010

Burning Bridges


Author

Patricia Gayle
Patricia Gayle

College Station, TX



About
I'm 25 and have been writing for close to 10 years now. Writing is my release...my therapy. I've written and self published one book, a regional non-fiction I completed in the summer after highschoo.. more..

Writing