Orange converse.

Orange converse.

A Chapter by M. Elizabeth.
"

Shelly Martis, An extremely insecure, awkward, clumsy, converse loving teenager. She thought she was different by being the only girl not owning a pair of high heels that don't include shoe laces.

"

An awkward start.

 

Hi I’m Shelly Raine Mortis, a fifteen year old not really loving life but not loathing it either, the reasons why I’m not loving life are kind of simple. 1, I’m not the most sociable teenager on the planet. 2, I remind myself of clumsy carly from the television series troopers, I’m not even sure why I watched that show. 3, I’m extremely insecure and find myself strangely awkward. And 4, I have to have a pair of converse with every outfit, why?

Anyway, my family moved houses closer to the beach... so that means a new school, “yay” I think to myself sarcastically. The new school I’m going to for the next 3 years is called ‘Sealen High’, according to my mum “it’s going to help me with my social life”. I doubt that anything can help me with my social life, I’m as sociable as a brick. We're almost at my new school and I don’t feel too bad because, It’s not exactly  a school day, a few people are coming to just get ready before school time starts again, right? As we turned the corner my mum turned her head to me and smiled “This is so exciting for you right?” she asked grinning widely hoping for an enthusiastic response, “Err... Definitely” I replied trying to sound convincing. “Shell, we’re here” my dad told me, and gasped.we’re here?” I said to myself over and over again in my head, a 5 hour car drive with my parents wasn’t really my favourite thing to be doing on Sunday but right now I’m digging my bitten finger nails into the seat. I looked up and out the window, “wow” I gasped like my dad. The school was huge, extremely modern and I don’t normally say this... but wow it’s cool. The car eased to a stop in a parking space about 100 metres from the giant school doors. My theory about there only being a few people, obviously was beyond wrong, there was about 70 teenagers in their own “friend groups” hanging around outside the school as if it was a normal school day. I’m not entirely excited about the staring that’s just about to happing as I walk down the path to the school doors. I know there’s going to be a lot of wondering eyes staring at me, I’m wearing a just below the knee length blue and black plaid skirt with a blue t-shirt and a grey jacket, and of-coarse my bright orange converse. The bright orange converse don’t really match what I’m wearing, but I guess that’s kind of the reason I like them, Thinking about it made me half smile and relax a bit as I stepped out of the car.

Standing up in the parking lot I hunched my back over a bit hoping not to be noticed, I put my head down so my long light brown hair covered my face or at least provided a dark shadow across my face. “Shelly! Let’s go darling!” mum yelled to me excitedly once dad was out of the car, giving my mother a look to say “keep it down!” I looked around to see if anyone noticed my mother’s excitement screaming. Some people glimpsed at me but then sunk fully back into their conversations. I was so relieved. “Shelly Raine Mortis! Hurry up honey we’re going to be late!” My mum yelled even louder, this time she was more annoyed than excited. “Mum! Shhh!” I whispered with a big worried look on my face, oh crap. Everyone in the school yard looked at me with wide eyes, some whispering in each other’s ears pointing to my shoes, some just staring straight at me. My parents must be blind, they didn’t even notice the reaction I got from the ‘crowd’. I stared at the ground on the way to the big doors only slightly glimpsing at people through the parts in my hair. It looks like more people have came now and they’ve all joined in with the gossiping and staring too, what a surprise!

Walking to the doors behind my parents I was trying to work out whether I should make an effort to make friends or just be ‘that quiet girl’ for 3 years.

The principal’s office was freezing, I loved it. for some odd reason... I love the cold. “Good morning Felicity Mortis, Rob Mortis, and aahh yes Shelly Raine Mortis.” Principal Leanon greeted us, my mum smiled warmly back and said “Principal Leanon! Is it L-e-a-n-o-n?” I put my face in my hands why does it matter how to spell his name? I suffered in my own thoughts. “Yes yes it is, and is it Felicity like F-e-l-i-c-i-t-y?” The principal joked back, I rolled my eyes when he turned his head. While mum, dad, and the principal had a long talk about the school I just sat there staring at the wall. There was a large poster that read “Our kids achieve something new every week!!” I snorted quietly, I can’t achieve anything. “Shelly will you be attending the dance tonight?” Principal Leanon turned to me and asked adjusting his glasses, “Dance?!” I spluttered out then looked at my mum with a confused expression. “Aah... yes? The dance we are holding in the school gym... Just a celebration for the new year.” He explained staring at me, almost tilting his head.

“Err... I don’t think-...”

“Yes! Of course she will!” My mother enthusiastically spoke over me.

“But... mum...” I complained

Perhaps this is something you can discuss later. For now, Shelly you can go look for your locker and settle in.” The principal waved his hand to the door and smiled.

“Fine” I sighed. “Thanks...”

I swung my fat shoulder bag over my shoulder and walked out the door, “I’ll ring you at 3:30” I told my mum and kept walking. The halls of the school were really busy so I kept to the side with my head down but as I was walking a small girl with straight golden hair stepped in front of me. “Shelly Raine Mortis, right? I’m Lou-Lou” Her big blue eyes were gleaming and she smiled like she was trying to welcome me. “Um Yeah” I muttered

“That’s cool, did you know Mortis means death in Latin?” She asked with a smile,

“Yes, Err... do you know where locker 3p5 is?” I asked changing the subject

“I think so, let’s go. I’ll walk you there” I couldn’t say no, she was so kind and I guess making one friend wouldn’t hurt, besides even if I did say no she looks like the person that would show me anyway.

“So... Shelly, Can I call you Shelly-Raine? It sounds cool.”

“Yeah sure, I guess.” I said quietly.

“Yay!” she giggled.

I pushed a smile, she was kind of funny but I just wanted to be alone at this moment. Lou-Lou gestured her hands to a locker as to say taa daa! I squinted and bent down to read the small writing on the locker, 3p5. “Thanks”         I flashed a small grin to her.

“Your welcome Shelly Raine!” she giggled once again and shot a grin back. I waved to her, once she was gone I put my head down and inspected my locker. I twisted the knob, it didn’t open, I pulled on the knob, and it didn’t open. I tried hitting the locker a few times, it didn’t open.

To be continued.

 

 



© 2010 M. Elizabeth.


Author's Note

M. Elizabeth.
Trailor: Shelly Martis,
An extremely insecure, awkward, clumsy, converse loving teenager.
She thought she was different by being the only girl not owning a pair of high heals that don't include shoe laces but theres much more to her than anyone knows, let alone herself.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm not going to give it a rating, lot's of others will do that for you. but like you said, it's a draft, and it's a good one. For one thing, it flows: there's plenty of it, there's plenty on the page, and being able to write 'lots' is really important. You can cut it down later, but the more the better when you do your first draft. Just keep letting it flow. and I like how good your vocabulary is, your turns of phrase, and how you make Miss Mortis believable and "real". Nana says it's better than most of her (adult) writing class at Homesglen Tafe could do after 4 years.
We can talk more about it when I see you again, and Nana's always good if you want to know anything about writing techniques, how to plan the story out, whatever. But hey just enjoy. Changed my mind: you do get a rating, 1 Tim Tam


Posted 13 Years Ago


still need to fix (heals) to (heels) in your author notes, but
glad to see it edited in your description :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


is this a boarding school?
seems like a lot of people at school on a Sunday!
Wow lol If it was a boarding school then I could see
families dropping their children off on the weekend.

You should know that in your Title description and in the
Authors note (heals) should be (heels). heals-wounds that heal
heels-high heels :)

Not bad at all, way to go, so far :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


wow this is pretty good so far,
I would like read more ^_^



Posted 13 Years Ago


sorry 1st chapter is extremely short. im geting there :S
how is it so far?

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

309 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 23, 2010
Last Updated on July 24, 2010


Author

M. Elizabeth.
M. Elizabeth.

Australia



About
loove writting, not really sure if i'm good at it but atleast I enjoy it. I only really write short stories but I don't know maybe i'll write a book :) All friend requests appreciated :) All cri.. more..

Writing
Continued. Continued.

A Chapter by M. Elizabeth.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Fallen Fallen

A Poem by Rose Tyler


Animals Animals

A Poem by Rose Tyler


Can You Can You

A Poem by RTB


KillerClown!!! KillerClown!!!

A Poem by RTB


Emotions Emotions

A Poem by Rose Tyler