Questions

Questions

A Chapter by D.L. Simmons
"

second chapter

"

“It’s not about people doing what you want; it’s about doing what you can for them.”

~Adam McCarthy~


Chapter 2: Questions


I didn’t wake up once during the night, but when I woke up I felt like I could sleep for two more days. I showered and dressed in a daze, pulled on my socks and went downstairs to have my kind of breakfast. As soon as I poured myself a glass of cold orange juice and sat down at the table, Jonah snickered.

“You might want to fix that,” he said, gesturing at my shirt, “it’s backwards.” I got up and dragged myself to the bathroom to check that he wasn’t just playing a prank on me. Sadly, he wasn’t, so I turned it around and went back to the kitchen to drink my orange juice in peace.

“How come you don’t eat breakfast?” Jonah asked as I drank the last few sips. I looked at him and pondered that for a moment, then I shrugged.

“I guess…I’m not hungry for food in the morning. I just need something to get me going.” He nodded, dumped his dishes in the sink and clomped up the stairs. It wouldn’t sound so loud if we had carpeted stairs, but this was an “authentic old house” as my dad said. That really just meant that  the doors squeaked, the wind got in, and various things were falling apart. Since I’d lived there since I was eleven, I had learned to live with it but we had a love/hate relationship, especially the noisy doors and I.

As I went upstairs for my backpack and shoes I thought back to when we had first seen the house.

“It’s so big,” I said critically. “And it’s so…empty.” I looked up at Dad, and he was grinning.

“It’s perfect,” he said in a voice as if he was talking about a good piece of steak. Mom smiled at him, then leaned over and  kissed him on the lips.

“Guys!”

“It’s beautiful, honey. Let’s get it,” she whispered against his mouth, and I stood, hands on hips.

“Does anyone care what I think?” I asked, feeling ignored. My mom focused on me and glanced at my pose, trying not to laugh. That just made me more frustrated, and I narrowed my eyes.

“Of course, Lydia. I want to hear you. What is it that you don’t like?”

“It echoes. There’s nothing in here,” I pointed out.

“But if we move in, sweetie, we’ll put our stuff in and we’ll fill it with ourselves too. It won’t echo, I promise. Do you like it otherwise?” I shrugged.

“Sure, I guess.”

“Jonah, what do you think? Jonah?”

 

“Lyddie!” My dad was at my door, staring in at me. I wondered how many times he’d called my name.  “If you were planning to walk or even bike, you’ll be late…what are you doing?”

“I don’t know,” I answered. “Sorry. Do you mind driving me?”

“No. Are you all right? You look…sick or something.”

“Gee, thanks,” I tried to joke. His worried face told me he wasn’t buying it.

“I hope you didn’t catch something. There’s so much going around in the winter.”

“Dad, it’s only September,” I reminded him.

“Oh, right.” He shook his head. “We’d better get going if I’m going to get to work on time.”

I gathered the last few things and we got in the truck. When he dropped me off, I had to run to make my first class, but it was worth it. I hated tardies, and I wanted to keep a perfect record. I’d already broken it last year, but this was a new chance.

In English, which was also my homeroom, I listened to Ms. Andrews reiterate the requirements for the Martin Luther King Jr. essay and remind us when it was due. I tuned her out and doodled in my notebook because I’d already finished it the first week. A tightly-folded note landed on my desk. I turned to see Skye looking innocent and attentive. Because I was in the back row, I could usually get away with reading notes during class. I opened it. It was Skye’s straight cursive.

 

Are you okay? I’m not sure why you left so suddenly, but I felt like we barely got to talk…

 

I knew that if I said I was tired, she’d reason that I could’ve just stayed for a sleepover. If I said I was sick, she’d want me to go home and get better. If I said that I was upset, she’d want to know why. So I decided not to answer.

The rest of the morning passed in a blur, and I avoided talking to Skye through lunch. She caught up with me before sixth hour math, and she caught me by surprise, because we didn’t have that class together.

“Lyddie, I know something’s going on. You don’t have to talk to me about it if you really don’t want to, but at least talk to me. We’ve been close since you moved here, and now you’re avoiding me.” She saw that I was about to say something and held up her hand. “Don’t even try that. I know you were. I saw the look in your eyes.”

“Skye,” I said, not at all sure of my excuse, “I need some space, okay? I need to be…alone. For now.” She stared at me, and then shrugged, disappointment radiating from her.

“Okay,” she answered. She walked off without looking behind her. I stood there for a moment, feeling hollow—like a pumpkin all scooped out; its entire messy gunk dumped down a drain somewhere.

I was glad when school was over, and I could stick my books in my bag and go to the woods.  Climbing into my favorite tree, I buried my head in my arms and tried to think. After a few minutes, I realized that my arms felt damp, and I tried to figure out why that would be. It came to me with a jolt; I was silently crying. The tears rolled down my cheeks and I couldn’t stop them, and the more I tried to, the more there were of them. I wasn’t a crier normally, and when I started to sob, I felt so uncomfortable that I considered banging my head on the tree and seeing if it would stop, but I decided pain wouldn’t help this particular equation. My head was still hidden in my arms when I heard a crisp crackle, like dry leaves being stepped on. I raised my head only to see a guy standing about ten feet away, witnessing my once private humiliation. He had warm medium brown skin and dark brown eyes, and he was attractive enough to add a layer of anger to the embarrassment.

“Were you spying on me?” I demanded. “Who are you? What are you doing here?” I leaned forward, keeping a solid grip on the tree so I didn’t fall. I wanted answers.

“Careful,” he said, looking up at me.

“I can take care of myself,” I said, my voice edged with ice. “Answer me.”

“I wasn’t spying on you.” he said slowly, “My name is Adam, and I just moved here.”

Crap! He’s probably in that family that Skye was talking about and I just messed up  welcoming him. I felt my eyes widen, and I wondered how I was going to wiggle my way out of this one.

       “Oh!” I made myself smile. “Well, in that case, let me get down from here and I’ll show you around.” I sneaked a swipe at my eyes. He stared at me; this time he looked wary. I climbed down, walked to where he was and stuck out my hand.

       “I’m Lyddie Gray,” I said. “I’m sorry I blew up at you.”

       “I’m Adam McCarthy,” he replied. “I’m sorry I showed up here, Lyddie. I was running and I just found myself at the edge of the forest. I would have walked away but I didn’t see a “don’t disturb” sign.” He smiled and I found myself laughing.

       “Good one. Yeah, it’s not my forest, although sometimes I wish it was.”

       “You really love it here.”

       “Yeah.” I was quiet for a moment, then motioned with my head the way out. “I was serious about showing you around, if you want. Let’s get out of here, at the least.” I started walking.

       “Um,Lyddie, isn’t this your backpack?” He picked up my bag where I’d dumped it and I felt a hot blush spread across my cheeks.

       “Yeah. Thanks for getting that.” I tried to take it from him, but he held it for me, making it easier to get it on. So he’s a gentleman. Skye would like that. I needed space, that’s what I said. I’ll stick to that. Pulling myself out of my thoughts, I thanked him again and realized that he was quite a bit taller than me. Down on the ground next to him, I only came up a little past his shoulder. We walked out of the forest, not saying much. It was Adam who broke the silence.

       “So, Lyddie, how long have you lived here?”

       “Are you going to say my name every time you talk to me?” I tease.

       “I’m bad with names,” he explained, a wry smile on his face. “It helps me remember if I do that a while at first. I promise I won’t make a habit of it.”

       “Oh, that’s smart. No problem.”

I showed him what little there was of Aspen, and by that time the sun was starting to set.

       “I’ve got to get going, but I’ll see you at school or something,” I said quickly. “Nice to meet you, bye!”

       “Bye,” he replied. “Thanks for the tour.” I turned to give him a thumbs up, then sprinted for home. The woods always seemed to get me in trouble, even if they were my favorite place. I got in the door in time and breathed a sigh of relief. The phone rang as soon I had dropped my backpack by the dining room table. I answered it.

       “Hey, it’s Skye. I know you said you wanted space. I just…I’m worried about you.”

       “I’m fine,” I said, careful to sound cheerful. “I sort of met Adam McCarthy by accident today.” I told her about what happened, and there was total silence on the other end of the line.

       “Lyddie, how come you wouldn’t talk to me but there’s a total stranger that you’re hanging out with and showing around town?” I thought about that for a moment.

       “I just gave him such a rude first impression. I remembered what you said about welcoming them, and I thought I should try to show him I’m not a total jerk.”

       “Sounds like you did a good job. So I guess that means you’re talking again.”

       “I guess so. I’m sorry about last night. I don’t know what was going on with me,” I lied. “I’m fine now. You can come over later if you want, when I’m done with homework.” She laughed.

       “Sounds good. So you’ve told me everything but what he looks like. Spill.”

       “I’ll tell you tonight. I have to hold something back, or you might not come,” I said with sarcasm.

       “Whatever. You know I’ll come, but have it your way. I’ll see you later.” We hung up and I felt a twinge at the lie I had told. It’s a nice lie, I rationalized. It’s what she wants to hear. Walking up to my room with my loaded backpack was a chore. I plopped down in my beanbag chair and took out my math homework.



© 2009 D.L. Simmons


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

160 Views
Added on December 19, 2009


Author

D.L. Simmons
D.L. Simmons

Chandler, AZ



About
I graduated high school in 2008, and I have been writing seriously since about 7th grade. I love writing. It feels like I need to do that more than eat and breathe sometimes. Like anyone, I love to ge.. more..

Writing