Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Heather Maria
"

The beginning...

"

There is not a book that prepares a young eighteen year old for the challenges they will face in college. There’s not a manual to tell them what to do make straight A’s, to know which friends to make, to know which parties to go to, or which guys to date. Every teenager transitions from being an adolescent into an adult at some point in their lives and college is just a stepping stone in that direction. For Laura Williams it was going to Yale and becoming a famous journalist that traveled around the world chasing top stories for the New York Times. Some say it’s about the journey, not the destination and if that’s the case then knowing she’ll become a famous journalist means nothing. It is the journey that got her there and it was a heck of a ride.

Laura sighed as she climbed out of her parents BMW and stared up at the buildings on the campus of Yale University. She was exactly where she wanted to be and had dreamed of being for the last fifteen years, and it was finally here.

“Laura…Laura,” her dad Richard Williams yelled at her and chuckled.

“Sorry dad. I just can’t believe that I’m here and that everything we dreamed is coming true,” Laura was a petite brunette with a heart of gold.

“Well, don’t get too excited. If you don’t like it here I’ll be on the red eye to come get you,” her dad chuckled and she rolled her eyes at him.

“Oh Rick, she’ll love it here. I’m sure she’ll meet her husband here if not then she can go up to Harvard,” Julia Williams remarked while checking her outfit. The Williams was a typical American family that lived in a cozy (massive) house in the historical district of Indian Hill, Cincinnati, Ohio.

“I don’t really care as long as I become editor of their school paper,” Laura grabbed one of her suitcases and her dad followed her lead.

“You are in the nicest suit they have and if you have any problems with your roommate don’t hesitate to tell your RA.” Her mother advised sternly.

“I’m sure that we’ll be ok. Besides I’ve already talked to her on Facebook,” Laura replied and they walked together to her dorm.

“Well, its big enough that’s for sure,” Henry remarked and sat her suitcase in the spacious sitting area of the dorm room.

“When is your roommate supposed to be here?” Julia asked going through the rooms.

“This weekend I believe. You all wanted to get here four days early so that we could sight see and get “to know” the layout of the campus,” Laura answered in a mock tone and rolled her eyes.

“Oh I’m going to miss your sarcastic comments constantly torturing me throughout the day,” Her mom chuckled.

“Can we visit the library?” Laura asked excitedly after they brought in the last of her luggage.

“Really? Don’t you want to go shopping instead?” Julia groaned slightly. “She is so your kid.”

“We’ll stop by as we go to the registrations office to get your schedule and then we’re going into New Haven,” Henry made a negotiation and winked at Laura. He had been a lawyer for twenty years and a father for eighteen�"giving him lots of experience in making deals.

“Awesome,” Laura beamed. She took a look around the dorm room and couldn’t believe that she was a Yale student. “The next four years are going to be the best years of my life!”

***

"Oh my gosh. I can't believe I'm finally here! This is so crazy," an eighteen year old Chanel Robinson exclaimed to her friend, Michelle, Saturday afternoon as they were standing on the grounds of Yale. She finally made it to the school she dreamt of ever since she was a little girl and was very excited. 

"You'll be fine, and your mother would be really proud of you too," her friend, Michelle, said. Chanel's mother passed away when Ellie was seven years old. She remembered her mother telling her stories of when she went to Yale. She was determined to make it into the same college her mother went to years ago. 

Yes, she would be. Oh well. At least I'm away from home and no more of my overly strict father. I'm finally on my own. Thank God." 

Since her mother died, Ellie had to move and live with her overbearing father in Massachusetts. He was hardly around in her life, and when he was he attempted to be what he thought a real father was. Ellie couldn't stand him. She was very relieved to be leaving from under his roof. 

"I know what you mean. Now, are you ready to get all of your stuff in your room? Speaking of room, do you know your roommate?" 

"I've messaged her on Facebook, but it's not like I really know her. Her name is Laura something. We're both majoring in journalism. I think, or at least I hope, we'll get along well," Ellie expressed as they began to carry her belongings to the new place she was to call home for the next year. 

When the girls arrived at Chanel's room, her roommate, Laura was not there. 
"I wonder where she's at," Michelle said, "we've been hauling all your crap up here for a good thirty-five minutes and haven't seen her yet." 

"Maybe she's at lunch or something. I actually like it better this way. Let's hurry up before she decides to come back. I want my room done now." 
It took the girls a chunk of two hours until Ellie situated her side of the room the way she wanted it. 

"I can't believe your roommate still hasn't shown up yet." 
"Michelle, you seem like you want her to be your roommate more than me. She might be trying to get a head start with being involved in student activity groups. The way these pictures look like, she seems very involved. That's good." 

"Yeah, until she pressures you to do stuff too. Then it becomes a problem. What if she's wicked pushy?" 

"I'm not worried. I know how to say 'no' to people. Don't worry about it. Now are you ready to find something to eat and for me to drop you back home in the MA?" 

"Sure, I guess so, you traitor." 

"Hey! Even though I'm here, I'm still a Massachusetts girl." 
The girls laughed and headed out the building and began what would be a new journey for the both of them. 

 

***

 

“Hi, you must be Chanel.” Laura smiled walking into her dorm room around 4 pm that evening with a book in her hand. “I’m Laura Williams.”

 

“Hi, it’s good to meet you. This is my friend Michelle and you can call me Ellie.” Ellie replied.

 

“So how long have you been here?” Laura asked shifting her bag.

 

“I just got here a couple hours ago and Michelle was wondering if we were ever going to meet you.” Ellie chuckled.

 

“Oh, yeah. I have been in the library getting my schedule situated and trying to find my classrooms before Monday.” She replied going to set her bag down in her room.

 

“That’s ambitious.” Ellie remarked and Michelle gave her an ‘I told you so look’.

 

“Well, I try to stay a head of the game but it would be my luck to sit in the wrong class for the first ten minutes of it.” Laura replied.

 

“I see. We were getting ready to head out into New Haven to see the city and grab dinner. Do want to go?” Ellie asked.

 

“Sure.” Laura replied and grabbed her purse. “So, Ellie I know we talked briefly through Facebook, but I didn’t catch what student organizations you were planning on being in.”

 

“Well, I haven’t taken much thought into it but definitely the dance team, maybe do intramural sports, and who knows what else they have everything! The list is practically a book.” Ellie remarked as they walked to Main Street of New Haven where there were shops.

 

“I completely agree with you on that one. I am going to be editor of the Yale Daily News it is the oldest college newspaper.” Laura beamed and Michelle rolled her eyes.

 

“Really…that’s cool.” Ellie replied thinking that ambitious didn’t describe this girl.

 

“You should be on it!” Laura smiled.

 

“Er…I really wouldn’t want to steal your thunder.” She answered.

 

“At least think about it. Anyways I plan on being the student council and the symphonic orchestra.” Laura stated as they walked into a shop.

 

“You play an instrument too?” Michelle asked in mocked surprise.

 

“Violin. So what is your class load like?” Laura directed her attention back Ellie.

 

“Not too bad. I have ENG 114, a LIT course, a HIS course, and a SCI course. What about you?”

 

“I’m in ENG 114 also, a Detective LIT course, a MTH course, and a Latin course. Oh, this is really cute!” Laura picked up cashmere sweater.

 

“Cool. I think there’s a freshman party later tonight you wanna go?” Ellie asked Laura.

 

“I’m not into the whole party scene.” She answered.

 

“I’m sure it won’t be bad, because it’s hosted by the freshman council. Who at Yale would break the law that blatantly?” Ellie stated.

 

“I guess it could be fun.” Laura shuffled her feet and shifted her purse.

 

“Oh lighten up! Maybe there’ll cute guys who aren’t super dorky.” Ellie laughed.

 

“Alright. Maybe there’ll be an upper classroom who I can suck up to and get me a foot in the door.” Laura’s eyes gleamed.

 

“Stated like a true politician.” Michelle twirped and the girls laughed going into a cozy restaurant.

 

***

After eating dinner, the girls went back to the room and relaxed for a while before getting ready for the party of the weekend.

 

"I'm assuming you don't go out to parties very much." Ellie stated as the three girls were getting ready for the freshmen party.

 

"I, uh, go out all the time. What makes you think that?" Laura questioned.

 

"Girl, you're lying, aren't you?" Michelle picked up on Laura's lie.

 

"Yeah, maybe a little bit," she confessed, "how'd you know?"

 

 "Because the way you're dressed is not how you're supposed to do it when you go out to party," Michelle pointed out. "Do you see me and Chanel? We're wearing jeans, not a khaki skirt. We're not goin to a luncheon."

 

"I like the way I dress. Thank you very much. I may not go out to parties a whole lot, but I can have fun in my own way." She turned towards her closet and continued getting ready.

Michelle just laughed and said, "Whatever."

 

"Leave her alone, Michelle." Ellie whispered so her roommate wouldn't hear them talking.

 

"She's so weird. Who wears a skirt to a party? Good luck staying with her for a year. It'll be painful."

 

"She's really not that bad. If she's comfortable, she's comfortable. Who cares what she wears. It doesn't bother me. I'm not sure why it's bothering you so much. You should probably get that checked out."

 

"Ha. Ha. Whatever. Just be careful of Little Miss Perfect. There's no telling what she might try to do next."

 

"Ya know I can't wait until you go home, so that I can form a fair opinion of my roommate without your mean comments."

 

"You know you're gonna miss me, at least until two weeks from now at least. I'll be back. I'm always back."

 

"Yeah, that's what scares me. Now, if the two of you are ready, let's go and have some real fun."

 

The girls arrived at the party around ten, and it was already poppin. There were so many freshmen around. Some were socially drinking; others were playing drinking games, and the rest were dancing to loud music.

 

"Now, this is what I'm talkin about!" Michelle began mingling with the crowd of freshmen.

 

"Um, Chanel, can I ask you a question?" Laura tried to be heard over the loud music. "Do you drink?"

"Oh gosh no! I've seen what it does to people and refused to follow them. How about you?"

 

"No not at all. Just wondering. What about Michelle?"

 

"Yeah, she does, but I know how to take care of her. Don't worry about it. Just try to have fun. I'm goin after her. Text or call me when you're ready to leave. I'll most likely be on the dance floor. Ha-ha."

 

After Ellie found her friend she told her she'd check on her in an hour, because she knew her friend would be a little toasted. Ellie went out to the dance floor and started showing her moves. Everyone noticed and wanted to dance with her. She danced with a couple of guys and danced

with a group of people. As she was dancing, she noticed a really good looking tall dude eyeing her. She couldn't help but flirt back. She continued to both dance and flirt at the same time. After a while she realized she had to check on Michelle. As she walked through the crowd, the admirer bumped into and began talking to her.

 

"Hi, my name is Alex. You wanna dance?"

 

Before Chanel had a chance to answer, he started leading her to the dance floor and began slowly dancing with her. Being the person that she is, she went with the flow and had no objections. When the song was over, he wanted to dance with her some more, but she had to protest.

 

"Um, Alex, I need to check on my friend. Maybe another time we can dance again."

 

"Well, what's your name?"

 

"Chanel."

 

"Chanel, it was very nice dancing with you. I'll see you again." She walked away not sure how to feel from that experience. Luckily, she spotted Michelle and ran to her. Her friend was toasted just as she thought she'd be.

 

"Michelle, are you ready to go back to the room now? I think you should rest some."

 

"Whyyyy are you beeeing on my cassse?" Michelle slurred her words.

 

"Because I love you and we should go. Let's find Laura and tell her.""Noooo, let's just go. I don't like her."

 

"I know you don't, but she has to know where I'm at since I'll be gone for a while." Ellie tried calling her roommate's cell number three times before giving up. She decided to take her friend to the room and come back to the party later.

 

"I hope Laura will be ok by herself for a while."

 

***

Laura looked down at the outfit she was wearing and chuckled. The night had proven out to be exactly as she had hoped, but entirely worthless too. The party was out of control that was for sure and Ellie’s friend was no exception. Laura took a couple pictures of the party scene with her iphone and headed out the door bumping into a guy.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t see you!” Laura blushed up at the tall handsome, dark haired, blue eyed guy.

“It’s cool. Did you come from the freshman party?” He asked with a slight smile.

“Oh, I’m not drunk, I swear!” Laura immediately tried to cover up her clumsy’ness’.

“I didn’t say you were.” He smirked at her.

“I was just leaving. It’s gotten pretty wild for my taste and there wasn’t anyone of caliber to talk to, until now.” She flirted. “I’m Laura Williams by the way.”

“I know who you are.” He replied mischievously.

“You do?” Laura raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah, you’re the 4.0 student from Cincinnati that happens to majoring journalism. Who happens to be getting ready to rat out this party for a good cover for her first application article for the Yale Daily News.” He answered learning against the doorframe.

“I was not!” Laura gasped.

“You’re going to have to work on your lying skills Nancy Drew. No one would go to a party looking like they were going to luncheon, not even people here at Yale. I’m Henry by the way.” Henry James, the president’s [of Yale] son, laughed at her.

“Why does everyone keep saying that? How did I know pull off the whole Yale look? Oh, whatever Sherlock! I know who you are too. You are Henry James the ‘it’ guy on campus who is assistant editor of the Daily, president of student council, my RA, and of course the president’s son.” Laura twirled her hair and yawned.

“Haha, so what are you going to do about this party? You have to have a killer story if you plan on being a freshman staffer on the Daily.” Henry winked at her.

“Oh, I was getting to that. Really though underage drinking is a thing of the past!” Laura leaned against the doorframe enjoying herself.

“Yeah, but we’re still at Yale. Spice it up a bit and it’ll be the talk of the administration and campus for days.”  He stated giving her a tip.

“Right. So let’s add a little heat to this flame!” Laura smirked and got out her iphone.

“Hi, I would like to report underage drinking at the freshmen party hosted by the freshmen council. No, I would like to remain anonymous. Thanks!” Laura put her phone in her purse and Henry chuckled at her.

“You’ll make a pretty good reporter, but you’re going to have a ton of enemies!” He replied.

“Not unless you leak the information. Now, we can’t stand here while the campus police bust up this party!” Laura looked around for a good hiding spot.

“The second floor is a nice spot if you just want to get a quick photo. Honestly you won’t need more than that to make this a front cover! Wow.” Henry followed her up the stairs and they waited for the campus police to shut the party down.

OK. EVERYBODY OUT!” A big muscular man stormed through the tight room.

“What man? This sucks! Who snitched, I don’t know but they can rot in…LET’S GO!” A stream of people filed out of the room angry, drunk, and half passed out.

“Get a picture for me.” Laura whispered to Henry and he did.

“Where are you? The party just got busted, but luckily I grabbed Michelle in time and we left out the back.” Ellie texted her.

“I met this really awesome guy and we went to Starbucks. I’ll be back in a couple hours, don’t wait up!” Laura replied and Henry raised an eyebrow and mouthed ‘great’.

“That’s really cool and risk’ay’ of you! If you need anything let me know.” Ellie answered.

The campus police cleared out the room and Laura and Henry walked out the other entrance of the hallway.

“That was awesome!” Laura shrilled.

“Yeah, it isn’t exactly the most exciting thing I’ve done or reported. It gives you a rush doesn’t it?” Henry looked at her knowingly.

“It’s like a drug! Ok. I really could use some coffee.” Laura twirled and he just looked at her.

“Coffee? You are already hyped up and you want coffee.” He shook his head but walked with her to Starbucks enjoying her company.

“So tell me something about yourself that everyone on campus doesn’t know.” Laura calmed down after she had her double expresso mocha.

“I dropped out of boarding in England to backpack through Europe with some buddies.” He smiled mischievously.

“No way!” Laura laughed not believing him.

“I swear! My dad pulled a few strings so that I could take a test to graduate my expected year.” Henry answered.

“That’s crazy! I don’t think I’ve done anything that absurd in my life.” She replied.

“I’m sure you haven’t, but I know you have a few stories beneath that perfect resume.” Henry winked at her.

“Wouldn’t you like to know.” She smirked at him flirtingly.

“You’re bad. Come on I told you one.” Henry pried.

“I went to jail for faking a press pass to get into an exclusive meeting about the Mayor taking money from the city to support his prostitution habit.” Laura smiled at him taking a sip of coffee and his eyes got wide.

“That’s the best lie I’ve ever heard!” Henry starting laughing.

“I’m not lying!” Laura defended herself. “You even said I was a bad liar, how could I make that up?”

“That’s true, but how did you get that off your record?” He asked downing the rest of his drink.

“My dad is a lawyer for the biggest firm in Ohio.” She answered.

“That’s impressive! You’ll do anything for a story and the rush.” Henry shook his head really liking this girl.

“Well, it was bound to come out sooner or later. I just really enjoy writing about political dirt! Yes, I do enjoy the adrenaline rush of it all too.” Laura threw away her drank and looked at her watch.

“It’s one in the morning. I believe you just got your cover story for the Daily and you’ve stirred up a hornet’s nest.” Henry stood with her and they walked back to campus.

“Hm…and I have the president’s son as a resource. The guy is also my RA and I’m out with him at one in the morning, how does that work?” She replied as they got to dorm building.

“I would say that you could get in trouble for that one, but I won’t tell.” Henry smiled at her.

“Technically school hasn’t started yet and we haven’t a floor meeting.” Laura justified as they reached her door.

“Mum’s the word. See you later Nancy.” Henry kissed her cheek and walked down the hall. “What a night!” Laura beamed

 

 

 

 

 



© 2012 Heather Maria


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The chapter is a long conversation with no descriptive writing and I have no idea where these people are. I know Yale is in Conneticiut because I just looked it up & that's about all I know. THat's what's scary about a book. You gotta hold a readers attention for a LONG time.

Posted 11 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A beautiful female reporter... so am expecting a lot of suspense to follow. Superb work, keep it coming :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


I liked this chapter. It was a quick read and it held my attention all the way through.

My parents died when I was 6 and the part about the memories of her mother didn't really ring true to me. I would make her a little older when her mother died, like maybe nine or ten. I got a little tripped up when her name was switching from Chanel to Ellie.

Nice!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Heather Maria

11 Years Ago

Thank you for reading, I hope you continue! Yes, the mother is a small detail in Ellie's characteriz.. read more
This was very good! I like this kinda stuff. It really makes me want to continue.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 18, 2012
Last Updated on July 18, 2012


Author

Heather Maria
Heather Maria

About
Hello, I am a senior in college and an amature writer. I enjoyr reading and performing while creating new stories for my friends to enjoy. more..

Writing