Book Marks

Book Marks

A Story by Patricia

“What marks your place in the world?  What turns you on, fires you up, what are you passionate about?”  I teach a creative writing class in a Continuing Education for seniors branch of D.U. and I ask my class these questions at the beginning of each semester.

 

If book marks keep our place in books we read, what keeps our place in the world?

I say too quickly that my heart keeps my place in the scheme of my days.  But too often this is a struggle.  People intrude, duties assume large importance, and worldly things interfere.  For too long, I put people, places, and things ahead of knowing myself.  One day I enumerated to a friend the tasks I was involved in to fix things for others, take care of their desires and wants.  She gently asked me, “What do you want?”�"such a simple question.  I paused and thought and finally answered, “I haven’t a clue.”

 

Friends and family have an important place in my life and in my heart.  But in the midst of being in the busy world, I had no idea where I fit, where I naturally belonged.  I didn’t know what to look for.  I’d marked a place in my book of life for everyone and everything, but when I examined these places I didn’t seem to find me lurking in any corner.  In short, I didn’t have a clear view of who I was or what I wanted.

 

Slowly as I turned the pages of my life I found clues here and there.  Like a movie run backwards, I saw where I glowed up in the mountains, bloomed in the park, I smiled inside and out with a creative writing class.  I heard a whoop of joy watching myself with my grandchildren swimming with the dolphins. Most of all I saw myself, as I matured, stepping out of the coloring lines more and more.  In fact, I delight in stepping out of the lines others have for my life.  Out the window went guilt of enjoying myself and I heard a Whoopee! coming from me.

 

I saw myself finding my own path and having decided which direction to head, I watched a more defined person step forward to lead her own life.

 

Why did I take so long to mark my place�"in my life, in my world?  I don’t know.  Perhaps I was too busy collecting smiles for my behavior, marching to the same beat as others.  It’s not that I’m now creating off-key tunes that jar, quite the opposite.  My tune is quiet and gentle and guides only me, but it feels real.  It feels authentic.  I found my place and marked my book of life, with my heart.


© 2014 Patricia


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

257 Views
Added on June 4, 2014
Last Updated on June 4, 2014

Author

Patricia
Patricia

CO



About
Creative writing teacher. Published author, "The Open Door". Resident of Colorado. more..

Writing
Flight Flight

A Story by Patricia


Waking Up Waking Up

A Story by Patricia