Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
YOU

YOU

A Poem by Poetic82

YOU

 

Primpin' in the mirror

Reflections face can get no clearer

Yet you deny the person there is really you

You see your face, and touch your hair

And wonder how could you be there

Yet never comprehend the things he's put you through

Through a fist, a kiss, a hug

Promising it's always love

But it's the only time his love is truly pledged

Help yourself, regain your grace

Heal your bruises, wipe your face

Drop that man, take those steps to move ahead

Because your make-up cannot hide

All the hurt you feel inside

Fearfulness through the years that you have grown

Get out of there and know

Each days another day you gorw

And you have the strength to make it on your own

 

By: Audrey Booth-Edwards

© 2008 Poetic82


Author's Note

Poetic82
Some secrets aren't meant to live through, some secrets are meant to live with out.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

no your makeup can not hide the bruises ,no its not you ,it was when he pledged love to you now no more ,its time to run to find your life away from his,away from pain and hurt ,for you can make it on your own ,lovely words,great showing of emotions ,this sad how two lives can turn from loved promised forever to pains cruelty ,bruises,and some one you never thought you would find yourself be living with,just wonderful i liked it ,everything is great here

Posted 15 Years Ago


It is so very difficult for some people. Sometimes there are children involved. Sometimes the worry of finances are too large. And she suffers. I have seen it. There was a time I lived through it...as a very young boy. Sometimes scars are more painful than the wound... You write of the wounds and I hear your pain. Thank you for the release...I did release to.

Todd

Posted 15 Years Ago


Very well written. You expressed the pain of abuse.

So true are the following lines:

Help yourself, regain your grace
Heal your bruises, wipe your face
Drop that man, take those steps to move ahead
Because your make-up cannot hide
All the hurt you feel inside

It's just sad that it takes a tragedy before some women leave.



Posted 15 Years Ago


I appreciate the way you've put a difficult subject into a form that all can understand. I've never had to endure any physical abuse but I spent years living with a man who enjoyed abusing his wife and kids verbally and emotionally. I understand how important it is to know that no matter what you are worth more than what that person says you are. It takes courage and determination but your life can be different. I applaud you for this poem. Thanks for writing.

Karen

Posted 15 Years Ago


Lovely! I can't understand people imprisioned in a relationship with out lots and lots of RESPECT for each other - and i don't think there is "love" when you don't respect others be it parents and children, or wife and husband... There is no love when you scream or hurt another person... so my idea is that a grown up person abused by other is just playing the "child" or the "victim" and kind of "liking" this play in some sick way... but i suppose this comes from education that took out all self respect from this person... the abuser is also a very sick person that should be in a hospice... but then most of them are considered, by our world "values" as heroes!!!! so i'm very glad when a person finds again his/her self respect!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Lovely! I can't understand people imprisioned in a relationship with out lots and lots of RESPECT for each other - and i don't think there is "love" when you don't respect others be it parents and children, or wife and husband... There is no love when you scream or hurt another person... so my idea is that a grown up person abused by other is just playing the "child" or the "victim" and kind of "liking" this play in some sick way... but i suppose this comes from education that took out all self respect from this person... the abuser is also a very sick person that should be in a hospice... but then most of them are considered, by our world "values" as heroes!!!! so i'm very glad when a person finds again his/her self respect!

Posted 15 Years Ago


I can't imagine that spousal abuse is as secretive as people think it us. However, I am ignorant to such things, because I can't even imagine that they take place. But, I know that they do. I see it in the news, and I read about it in magazines and books. What I mean is, if the woman (or man - men are victims of spousal abuse too) goes to work with a black eye, how could no one know? It doesn't make any sense to me! Or maybe, the people at work do know, but they are just too cowardly to make any notice of it! This kind of s**t makes me VERY angry. I cannot stand that innocent and harmless people are taken so advantage of!! When I think that women, children, or men (in som cases) are abused so badly, it just angers me!! And, I want to do something about it!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


That is a fantastic and true poem. That is my belief in life, that you can do it...you can walk away. You have that strength. Keep up writing these true words! Thanks for sharing!
Janice Ann

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

257 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 6, 2008
Last Updated on June 6, 2008

Author

Poetic82
Poetic82

West Covina, CA



About
I am a writer by nature. It flows from me like water. I find that my greatest joy and peace comes from my words and creations. I find wonder in what becomes each time my pen hits the page. I never kn.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Blue stone heart Blue stone heart

A Poem by emz