Swallowed by the Sea and Spit Back Out

Swallowed by the Sea and Spit Back Out

A Chapter by Molly

       Aurora raced down the sand towards Merrick, his surf board strapped to his ankle securely, and he wasn't breathing. Great. She lowered her head to hear for a heartbeat -none.

        "That idiot." she muttered. "Why was he surfing at night, alone?"

        There was only one way to save him, and she had to drag him back underwater. Aurora ripped off the ankle strap and started hauling him into the water. When she was waist deep, he was just floating like a dead man. She shook her head; he wouldn't be dead for long, not on her watch.

        She took off her necklace and she plunged down into the water, taking Merrick with her. Swimming back to her cave, she layed him down on a patch of sea sponges, and quickly got to work.

        Aurora took out a bowl and her ingredients. There wasn't much to add, only the right aorta of a heart from an angler fish and a rare type of seaweed called Callophycus serratus. She mashed them together, producing a liquid. It was red and rose out of the bowl, a soft current guided it towards Merrick and went in through his nose.

        It looked pretty funny, like he was drinking through his nose, and the sea gods know how uncomfortable that is.

        A chuckle escaped her mouth and bubbles rose up. Quickly, she gathered him up and took him back to shore. Once there, Aurora made sure she was dry, and got out her cell phone and called an ambulance. By the time they came, she had her cane and played the blind girl again, they made her ride with him and she closed her eyes to the steady rhythm of Merrick's breathing and heart rate.

        A tickling sensation started in Aurora's heart and spread to her fingertips to her scalp and she knew. She had just changed someone's life in an unchanging kind of way -he'd live. Merrick's every action in life, breathing, surfing, everything, from now on was because Aurora had saved him.

Now she needed two more people, so she didn't have to play around Merrick anymore. A slight ache of pity came up to her. He'd live... but he'd also see the downfall of his entire life.

She watched as they whisked him off to be treated and she stumbled around like the blind girl she was until a nurse led her in the right direction. Aurora waited outside his room after the doctor came out and told her he'd be fine.

        "I have to say," the doctor said. ",it must have taken a miracle for him to stay alive like that. He doesn't even have a scratch!"

        "Every day is a miracle, doctor, we only have one life." she murmured.

He chuckled. "That's pretty wise for a girl your age. What grade in high school are you?"

        Aurora huffed indignantly. "I'm twenty-four years old, and out of college."

        The doctor seemed to choke on something.

"I'm guessing you've called his family and girlfriend?" she asked changing the subject.

        "Yes." he said, recovering himself.

        Aurora laughed out loud and tilted her head to the side, hearing the clicking of high heels. "Something wicked this way comes."

        "Doctor! Is Merrick going to be all right?" Miranda asked dramatically.

        Her gaze fixed on the wall, Aurora could see Miranda in her work uniform, a black mini dress that's really short, and some really, really high heels.

        "And who might you be?" the doctor asked, surprised.

        "I'm Merrick's girlfriend, Miranda."

"Ah, well, he's fine. You'll have to thank this young lady for finding him. He might have really drowned when high-tide came."

        Miranda peered at Aurora with striking green eyes, and she didn't even flinch. Recognition showed in her eyes. "But you're blind." she stated. "How could you find him?"

        She shrugged. "I didn't really find him, more like tripped over him."

"And what were you doing out there alone if you're blind?" the doctor asked, a question that he's been wondering about.

        "Walking." Aurora stated, obviously.

        "Alone?"

        "I usually do."

        The doctor stared at her in wonder and Miranda sneered at her.

        Miranda really didn't want her around. "This is the girl that my boyfriend just met, she just showed up at his door apparently, but doesn't know her very well. Doctor, could we go into Merrick's room and talk a little more privately?"

        Aurora held back a hiss at this woman, really! She deserved a good slap or two... maybe three... But he agreed and they went in Merrick's hospital room and shut the door, leaving her alone.

        Aurora sighed, and got up to walk out of the hospital, her work done. She made her way out and went to her condo. The condo was paid by the clan, naturally, and that was where she had to stay. She went into her room and plopped onto her bed and fell asleep instantly.

 


        Antagonist

"She's an abomination, God's mistake." he insisted to James Monroe, a proud member of the Holy Elders. "You will take care of her, right? Driver her into the bay so I can take care of her."

        "And you're sure that she's a monster?" James asked.

        The stranger grinned, smiling those pearly white teeth of his. "Absolutely, I've shown you the pictures, haven't I?"

James shuddered. "Yes, you have. Do you have a picture of her when she's on land?"

        He slid a picture across the table.

        She wasn't looking at the camera, because the picture was taken in secret. A small smile played at her pink lips and her blue-green eyes were lit up. She wore jeans in the picture, her black and blue hair trailing out behind her. She was a demon sent from hell itself, just like the rest of her and her clan, unnatural.

        James nodded, and the stranger's smile widened. Finally, Aurora's end would come.

 


        Back to Aurora

        Aurora walked through the mall, wondering what to do, since Merrick was probably at home, recuperating. She wandered around and started looking into people's History. She stopped by to grab a smoothie and sat down and started sipping.

        A person's History is just as it sounds. It's their past, their present, and even their future. She uses that to help decides who to help.

        One woman was working extra hours to help pay for her apartment, a guy was having girlfriend trouble, a little girl wasn't getting the candy she wanted, a baby wanted her pacifier...

        "Found anyone yet?"

Aurora whipped towards the voice and found him. He walked towards her with a casual stride and sat down across from her.

        "What are you doing here?" she growled.

        Her twin half-brother Fin smiled at her lazily. "Just checkin' on my younger sister."

She gritted her teeth. "Only by three seconds, don't think so highly just because of that small time-span."

How were they twins but half siblings? Aurora's father, the clan leader, took many wives and both of their mothers just happened to conceive at the same time. Since then, they've always been considered twins.

        "Always defensive." Fin chuckled, his black hair. He had the same eyes and hair as Aurora, making the distinction of their relation more obvious. "I'm just worried about you, honestly."

        "I don't need your worry. I'm fine." she snapped, slurping from the smoothie again.

        "Aurora, you can't do this alone, just let me help."

        "And let you take all my credit? I've worked with you before, you know."

        "But I've changed! We were young then."

Aurora rolled her eyes. Fin was a selfish-... it's better that she didn't finish that sentence. "You can't anyway. Father needs you with him."

        "And what about you? You're out here, prancing about, while we're out there working to revive our race!" he hissed, anger seeping in.

        "We can't revive ourselves if we're too scared and are hiding! You and Father might want to hide like cowards, but I'll live freely." she spat.

        "Would you rather we go head on into them? They'll swallow us alive!"

        "I'm not asking for war with them." Aurora said, angrily. "I'm just unconcerned with them. They're a whole different race. They have nothing to do with us."

        "They hunt us like animals! It has everything to do with us!"

Their conversation had risen to a shout and many people stared at them. Aurora and Fin had stood up in their anger, and they glowered at each other.

Fin's expression was first angry, then contrite. He sighed. "I didn't come here to argue with you, Aurora, I want to help you. You know, it might just be easier if you just come home."

        "And put up with your mother?" she said, quietly.

        Fin's mother hated Aurora, naturally, since she was the daughter of her husband and another woman, but usually, she deliberately set out to make things harder for Aurora.

        "I know my mother is horrible to you, but I'll talk to her, she'll listen to me."

        She shook her head. "No thanks, Fin. I'm going to have to decline on both of your offers."

        His shoulders slumped, but then he smiled at me. "Oh well, can't say I didn't try."

        "I'll see you in a couple days, you know. I have to attend the ceremony, too, you know." she said, smiling.

        They both left each other at that, and Aurora wandered on.

        Finding no one, she walked past a TV station that made her stop and listen.

... and a ferocious serial killer is on the loose, he's killed three teenage girls all bearing a cruel branding on their bodies. We advise that you don't go out late at night or if you do, don't go alone. Now, Jim will take us to see what he's cooking for lunch...

        She shook her head in disgust; she just couldn't see how human's could take joy in killing one another. Wandering on, she kept on looking but found no luck. Apparently Merrick Demmington was a special case where Aurora would always think as one of a kind.

 

.:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:.

 

        Merrick sat up, a thin coat of sweat painted on his face. Where am I?  he thought. Everything that surrounded him was foreign. The room he was in was as dark, with multiple blinking lights and a full moon shining through a window making it just barely bright enough to see outlines and shapes. 

        Where am I? The simple yet important thought kept repeating over and over in his head. He felt around for a lamp to get a better view, and realized that he was in a hospital room after turning it on. What the hell happened?

        He pushed the thin, pale blue covers back and jumped out of the bed. Okay, last thing I remember is being on the beach… did I get hurt somehow? He paced around the room, the cold tiles sending chills up his spine and giving him goose bumps. A crinkling noise sounded whenever he moved, and Merrick realized that he was in a hospital room. Okay, I know where I am. But why am I here?

        He looked out of the small window, as if that would give him clues. All he could see was the shore, about a mile away. A large wave crashed against the beach, and the sight brought back memories, and fast.

Everything hurt. I lay on the soft sand of the beach, with the waves washing over my legs in a steady pace. The night was getting cold, but I couldn't move anything. It hurt too much. 

        I could feel myself slipping away. Whatever was beyond this life had to be better than the pain I felt now. What I felt was stronger than anything I had ever felt before. Every limb throbbed, and my bones ached. It felt too… real.

        The sound of footsteps was brought to my attention. Was someone coming? "That idiot." I heard. "Why was he surfing at night, alone?"

        Suddenly, something ripped off of my ankle. Was the person attacking me? I once again wanted to move away, but my body still wasn't listening to my mind. Then I was moving… someone was dragging me. By the growing volume of the waves, I guessed it was towards the ocean. Great, now I was going to be drowned to death. The first option of passing away from pain alone on the beach suddenly seemed ten times better. I didn't want to die in the place that gave me so much joy.

        I floated on the surface for a while, then I was in the water, and was being dragged further and further down. I started to panic, but before I knew it, oxygen was once again available. I breathed heavily, and then returned to the shallow breaths from before. I was on something soft that had a weird texture. Someone was moving around, and the sound of something being stirred echoed off the walls. Then something thick and surprisingly sweet smelling entered my nose. I wanted to freak out, but couldn't.

        Suddenly the pain was gone, and I mentally smiled. Every ache and stab of pain disappeared, and I wanted to sigh with relief. Of course I couldn't, though. Then I was once again in the water, then on the surface. Based on the sound and from the feeling of trillions of minuscule objects moving under me, I guessed that I was being dragged on the beach again. 

        “Woah,” he said aloud, unable to not express his surprise. The whole memory; the feelings, the sounds, the smells, seemed so real to him. But that was just a dream, right? It had to be, he assured himself. 

        As he stood by the check-out counter, hands in his pocket, he tried to keep his head down. Just the thought of his friends knowing that he was put in the hospital for fainting made his face heat.

        The doctor stopped Merrick as he was on the way out the door, “You’re a lucky man, Merrick. It could have been a lot worse than it was. Heck, we almost thought you were dead for a second.”

        He didn't bother returning his smile, “Yeah, I guess I am kinda lucky. Thanks,” I replied. He wasn't glad they kept him over night for nothing, but he also didn't want to be extremely rude to the guy who made sure that he didn't die. He made his way out the door, surfboard in hand. The hospital kept it after the accident, and it felt good to have it back in his hands.

        He ran his free hand through his thick, brown hair. Reaching into his pocket, Merrick took out his cell phone to call for a ride home. He mentally made plans to go to the beach after he arrived home. Anything to get his mind off of the hospital, and the strange dream. As he slid his phone open, 1 new message blinked back.

        Sean: Dude, where r u?

        Me: No where. Y?

        Sean: U no that blind grl?

        Me: Ya?

        His pulse quickened at the thought of Aurora. He didn't know why, though… sure, he thought she was hot. But she was also blind. She was also a little stalker-ish, in his opinion. So why can’t I stop thinking about her? The thought of Aurora reminded him of Melinda. She was getting way too clingy. It was probably time to let her go… the sound of the phone vibrating drew his attention away from thoughts on his current relationship, though.

        Sean: She is NOT blind.

        Then a picture was sent and he saw Aurora and she was talking to a guy at the mall, drinking a smoothie. They seemed to be in deep conversation and she was looking at the guy with a mixture of happiness and weariness, obviously watching him for whatever the reason they were talking about.

        He almost dropped his phone from the news. What? That made no sense… why would she fake being blind? Why would she lie to him about being blind? Why would she want to? Something was off with her. What had she planned to do with him? 

        The thoughts circled through his head, and before he knew it he was on the beach. Merrick put the swim suit from the night before on, and jogged towards the water. When he balanced on his board, riding a wave, all of his worried thoughts disappeared.

        Merrick knew he stayed out way too long when he saw the sun start to set. I bright collage of orange, purple, and pink lit the sky, and the colors eased his nerves even more. After deciding to walk home, he instantly regretted it. All he had were flip-flops, which were not good walking shoes, and the setting sun made the air instantly colder.

        His phone vibrated, and he took a quick glance. 5 new messages from Miranda. He slid the phone shut without thinking. Yep, she was definitely getting too clingy.

        A high-pitched scream coming from a nearby alley got his attention. He ran towards the area the noise came from. The alley was dark, surrounded by bricks on both sides and had a high fence blocking the entrance. In the alley was a familiar looking man. After thinking for a quick second, Merrick placed the face. It was that murderer from the news. The man was fighting someone, and from the looks of it, losing. His opponent was small, but graceful and powerful. Merrick was about to turn away and run to call for help, but then he noticed who was with the man, and the source of the high pitch scream.

        Aurora. 



© 2013 Molly


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
Added on January 18, 2013
Last Updated on January 19, 2013


Author

Molly
Molly

GA



About
Ah... I'm Molly. The weird, awkward hermit that doesn't like people... Yep. That's me... Alright, I'll be honest... I love Owl City (they are my heart and soul) along with the actual owls :3 Mus.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Molly


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Molly