Mortal Faces the Enemy

Mortal Faces the Enemy

A Chapter by Molly

Merrick was wide awake, laying on the hard stone floor, trying to get away from them as much as possible. Aurora and Fin had been arguing hushed whispers, almost yelling at each other. What to do with him, where to take him, go after someone that he didn't know, etc.

Honestly, he didn't know how to approach the subject. Not many people get kidnapped by mermaids.

“We’re not mermaids!” Fin spat in his direction.

Merrick jumped, startled and Aurora turned to glare at him.

“I didn't say anything.” he said, surprised that his voice sounded almost natural.

“You didn't have to, your thoughts are enough.” he snapped.

“Calm down, Fin. He still hardly knows anything.” Aurora interceded. “It’s only natural, mortals hardly know about our kind.”

He rubbed his temple. “Whatever, just go and get the damn potion already so we can leave.”

“Well, if you wouldn't argue with everything I said, we could be gone already.” she stated, walking over to the pool.

“Just go.”

Aurora turned around and made a face that would've made Merrick laugh, but not now. He still wasn't sure on what would happen to him. She disappeared, leaving him with Fin.

It stayed awkwardly quiet for most of the time, neither of them speaking a word.

Fin sighed. “Look, it’s not Aurora’s fault you’re in this mess, it’s their mistakes that got you involved... And, possibly, your own.”

“My own?” he spluttered.

He nodded. “You should have just minded your own business.”

“Excuse me, but she came to me. Aurora showed up at my house first. She told me she was blind, then lied to everyone that she had ‘eye surgery’! How the hell is this my fault?”

“She was put under pressure to do those things. Now that, is our clan’s fault, making sure that whatever she does, doesn't look like she really is.”

“A freak?” Merrick asked snidely.

Fin glared. “No, Serpents, you idiot. Would you even consider a blind girl being able to change into a creature like us?”

He didn't say anything, knowing that it was true. No one would suspect someone like Aurora to be... whatever they were. “Well, what are you?”

“Ocean Serpents. Much older than mermaids.” he sneered. “Mermaids are self-centered, power hungry, killing b******s.”

Merrick was sensing some hatred here.

“We didn't even do anything to them! We wanted to live in peace, but they just couldn't keep away for some reason. They've wanted our resources and did anything to get them. That’s why they always go for the royal line.” Fin said, hatred making his voice thicker.

He still didn't believe a word he said, but decided to play along anyway.

“Besides our recent problem, and the kidnapping of our little sister, they've tried to burn Aurora.” Fin said, quietly. “She’s been terrified of going back onto land for a while, but she decided she didn't want to come back to the clan, so we made a deal with her.

“She had to help three people in ways that would change their lives forever in a good way, in only three years. From what I've heard, she’s already got one down, saving you from drowning and all.”

Merrick only stared at him. That dream... that dream wasn't a dream! It was... what was it?

“I’m guessing you just had a subconscious that paid more attention to what was happening.”

“Are you reading my mind?” he asked sharply.

For once, Fin smiled. “It’s one of my talents.”

"Stay out of my head!” he hissed.

Fin chuckled. “I don’t really have a choice in that. It’s not something I can switch off anytime I want.”

The pool splashed, and they both looked over to see Aurora lounging on the edge, her tail moving back and forth lazily. She held up a soaked, leather pouch and tossed it to fin. “I’m back.”

“Great.” Fin said, and took out another necklace. It was still a rock, but instead of the dull gray like Aurora’s, it was a dark sea blue. He handed it to Merrick. “Put this on. You’ll be able to breathe underwater with this. Just don’t ever take it off when you’re in the water.”

Merrick just looked at it. “No.”

“No?” Aurora asked. “Don’t you want to go home?”

“Don’t even say that.” he snapped. “You don’t have any right to lie to me anymore. I know that you guys aren't taking me home.”

She looked a bit wounded at that. Good. The tramp deserved it. Her cat eyes looked over at Fin for guidance.

Fin’s eyes hardened. “You’re not getting a choice in this, Merrick. It’s necessary. We can’t have you walking around without the whole story. You’re lucky that we’re not erasing your memory.”

“Why aren't you?” he asked, bitterly.

Fin hesitated.

“It’ll mess up your mind.” she said quietly. “You could become paralyzed for the rest of your life. I didn't want that to happen to you. This was the best decision that we could come up with.”

“How about just letting me go.”

“Not the way you’re thinking of us.” he said. “You think that we’re monsters, but you don’t understand half the concept of what we are.”

Aurora started to beg. “Please, Merrick. This is a lot safer than being killed.”

Her being reduced to begging did something to him. A knot formed in his chest and it was harder to breathe. Merrick sighed. “You’re not really giving me a choice anyway.” He snatched to rock from Fin’s hand. Instead of wearing it like a necklace, he wrapped it around his wrist and tied it with a knot.

She frowned, but didn't say anything to him.

“Come on, let’s go. It’ll take us a while to get there.” Fin said, changing already.

Like a last attempt at forgiveness, Aurora held out a hand in case he needed help. Of course, he ignored her and slowly sank into the sea. Out of instinct Merrick held his breath, but was forced to breathe when he found that he couldn't hold his breath anymore.

Fin and Aurora swam beside him, the longer they swam, the colder the water got and the more nervous and fidgety Aurora and Fin became. Tension was evident, and Merrick didn't know what to do with it.

After a while, Merrick got tired of swimming, and then he saw the cave. They swam into it, and it was like a whole different world. For a second, he thought he’d stepped into Disney’s A Little Mermaid. Except the palace was just a bunch of rocks with holes in them.

People like Fin and Aurora swam in and out of the place. Light filtered through the water’s surfaces, but that didn't stop the gloom on their faces. And that wasn't the strange part.

It seemed like everyone saw them at once and stopped whatever they were doing. They stared for a moment, then swam upright and bowed as low as they could go. Aurora and Fin switched their worried expressions to a pleasant one.

She smiled and waved at everyone who welcomed them back in some word that he didn't know. Her and Fin were on either side of Merrick, blocking him in, making him feel claustrophobic.

“Calm down.” she whispered. “We just don’t want you to get lost.”

But he knew different. It was something else. When the people’s eyes landed on him, their stares turned to glares, and they whispered behind their scaled hands. Fin and Aurora were protecting him.

Then someone swam up to them. Unlike the two siblings, this man was white. He had a white tail, and white... whatever those were on his head. His gray cat eyes looked tired, but relieved.

“Aurora. I’m glad to see that you’re alright.” he said.

She gave him a grim smile. “Yes, but not without consequences.”

Jealousy shot through Merrick like a knife. Who was this guy?

He glanced over at Merrick, a slight show of distaste went through his expression but he went back to neutral. “Ah, you must be Merrick Demmington.”

Fin shot him a glance. “Yes, Merrick, this is our old friend Cato.”

Cato put a hand to his heart. “Wow, you guys make me feel like a hundred years old.”

“Yeah, you’re right. You’re older.” Aurora said, rolling her eyes.

“That hurt.”

“Too bad.” she said, grinning.

“Cato is one of the highly trained warriors we have.” Fin said.

Cato grinned sheepishly. “Well, not that good. Everyone was taught the same thing back in our day. I don’t see how I’m any different from them.”

“Quit deceiving people! You’re not that modest!” she said, exasperated, like this was a regular conversation.

“Well what am I then, if not modest?” he asked, wagging his brows.

“A masochist.” she muttered.

“What?”

“Nothing. I didn't say anything.”

Cato laughed. “Okay, then. Your father is waiting in his den.” And then he swam away.

Fin and Aurora shook their head simultaneously. “What are we going to do about him?” he asked.

She shrugged. “It’s Cato we’re talking about, remember?”

“Oh yeah.”

“Cato has been a strange person.” Aurora explained to Merrick. “He’s always done the unusual, and for some reason, he likes it when people make fun of him.”

“Of course, we can’t change what he likes, but we worry about him.” Fin said.

Aurora laughed, bubbles coming out of her mouth. “Well, he’s survived so far.”

“Which amazes me.”

Merrick watched in amazement that this was regular to them, being underwater and breathing at the same time seemed unreal. Well, having a tail is unreal too.

She nudged him. “Let’s go see father. We shouldn't keep him waiting.”

He swallowed hard, hoping to get rid of the lump in his throat.

“There’s nothing to worry about.” she soothed. “We’ll just explain what we are, and take you home. Then I’ll stay out of your life and you will never see one of us ever again.”

She thought she was being helpful, but the thought of never seeing Aurora again made Merrick mad for some reason. They swam into the caves, but instead of it being dark, there were lanterns that lit the way.

“How can those...” Merrick asked.

Fin grinned. “Magic.”

The water became warmer, more comfortable as they went into a room. A man was laying down on... a couch? I looked like a couch, but it looked more like sea sponge.

Filia Prima, Heredem. Glad you made it back alright.” he said, warmly. Merrick had no clue what he was talking about really.

The man looked over at Merrick. “Mm... and who is this?” he asked, distaste coloring his voice.


.:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:..:.:.:.

Aurora fidgeted in place, nervous as Michal looked Merrick over. It was odd, because she wanted him to approve of him, which was strange, because her father could never approve of a human mortal.

Fin explained what happened and what we were going to do. Michal sat back, considering. “And you were seeking my approval to tell this mortal about us?” He started to laugh. She shared a look with Fin.

“Father, we were hoping that we wouldn't have to do the mind erasing.” she said, making him stop laughing.

“Well, then we’ll just kill him.” he said absently. In truth, he didn't sound all that menacing as he usually would.

She saw Merrick flinch. Aurora’s shoulder’s slumped in defeat. She couldn't go against the king, much less her father. This wasn't going as she thought it would.

“But what about Reina?” Fin asked.

What? Did she just hear Fin switch subjects? Mental whiplash. He shot her a look, and Aurora caught the hint.

Michal’s face looked older all of a sudden as he described the situation about their little sister. Taking advantage of the distraction, Aurora did a quick bow and propelled Merrick out of the room.

“You said you wouldn't kill me.” he hissed.

“Father isn't usually like that.” she explained, quickly. “We’re all just under a lot of stress right now.”

“And why is everyone glaring at me?” he went on.

She didn't say anything, couldn't deny her people’s hatred towards mortals nor explain it. “At least you’re not dead yet.”

Merrick snorted. “Yet.”

“You really know how to kill conversations.” she grumbled.

They swam until they came to a cave where no one came by. “I guess I’ll explain things right and then I’ll take you home.”

“You better.”

Aurora glared at him. “You have to actually listen.”

Merrick huffed, bubbles drifting out of his mouth.

“As you already know, we’re not like what you mortals call mermaids. We’re way different; a whole different species than them.” she explained. “We’re called Ocean Serpents. What you see right now is our in-between form. We have three different forms; human, in-between, and serpent.

“In our serpent form, we take on who we really are.” Aurora said.

He was looking at her, lost.

“We look like the Lockness Monster.” she said carefully.

“Oh.”

“We’re not any different from you guys. We eat, sleep, live; just a little differently. All this seems weird only because you’re taught that we don’t exist.”

“Is there any other mythical beings that I don’t know about?”

“Besides us and them, no.”

“That reminds me.” he said. “Who is ‘them’ that you keep on referring to?”

Her facial expressions turned dark and menacing. “They,” she spat. “Are what you keep on confusing us with. They are the mermaids that you should fear.”

Merrick considered. “I’m sensing some hatred between you two.”

“We do nothing to them! We steer clear of them, living in peace. They keep on attacking us, killing us off! They've taken away friends and family, including my half sister. I can't forgive them.”

“So you don’t go killing sailors?”

Aurora gave him a look of disgust. “Why would we do that? There’s no gain in that but unwanted attention.”

“I-it was just a thought.” he said, embarrassed.

“Oh, well, no. We don’t kill any mortals.”

“Besides me.”

She shrugged. “I doubt it. Father’s just in a bad mood right now. We’re not the killing type. Unless we’re defending our territory.” Aurora said, smirking. “We don't usually lose a battle. We've lost many lives in the process but we can be persistent.”

“I can believe that.” Merrick muttered.

“Is that an insult I hear?”

He chuckled.

“Grr... well, does this mean that you’re not afraid of us anymore and don’t hate my guts?” she asked, batting her long eyelashes at him and clasping her hands together.

“I guess there’s no real reason for me to hate you.”

“Hooray!” she cheered, and actually did a little twirl in the water. She laughed. “Now we can get you home without any problems.”

“I second that.” Merrick said.

And then they were off back to the land of mortals.


 

 

When they finally got back, it was night, so no one was on the beach to see two figures emerge from the sea, still in their clothes which were still dry. Aurora put on her sunglasses even though it was dark.

Merrick looked at her.

“What?” she asked. “I just had eye surgery. My eyes are sensitive.” The shift from a magical being to a blind-girl-who-got-surgery-so-she-could-see seemed depressing to her, because it was a reminder that she still had to do two more tasks, and still deal with the mermaids and Reina.

He noticed her mood change. “Everything will be okay.” he comforted.

She chuckled. “I should be comforting you, not the other way around. I’m not the one who just figured out that Ariel exists.”

This time, Merrick actually laughed. “True, but I’m not the one who has their sister kidnapped. I think that beats my problems.”

“I think they’re pretty even.” she said.

They walked along the beach, just talking and laughing, Aurora almost confused it with a date. She leaned against the pier to get her thoughts straight. The sun was starting to light up the sky.

“There you are.” someone slurred.

Aurora and Merrick turned around to see a drunk Miranda and a staggering Grant. “See? What’d I tell ya, babe? Always close to the water.”

“I knew it.” Miranda said, pointing a drooping finger at Aurora. “So this is the tramp you dumped me for. Ain’t she suppose’ to be blind?”

“Looks like someone had one drink too many.” she muttered.

“Whatchu say, b***h?” Grant asked, lumbering over towards them.

Merrick got in front of Aurora. “Lay off, man. Just take Miranda and go home.”

“I don’t get it, Merrick. What’s this girl got that I don’t have? I’m way prettier than she is, and at least I can see where I’m goin’.” Miranda complained.

“Doesn't look like it to me," she said, noting how Miranda was walking in drunken circles. "How about brains?” she said, tauntingly, leaning around Merrick’s form.

Just like she predicted, Merrick’s ex girlfriend lunged herself at her, manicured nails sharp and at their ready. Aurora pushed Merrick out of the way and still managed to dodge her attack easily. Miranda looked like an angry toddler who just got her pacifier taken away. It almost made Aurora laugh out loud.

She went at her again, while the two men just argued about something that Aurora wasn't paying any attention to. Like listening to music or playing a board game, this was just entertainment to her. For once, her immortal side came out and decided to play a little bit.

“Is that all you got? It must sting to lose someone like Merrick for a reason that you don’t know. Here’s a tip for your next relationship: don’t cement yourself to the poor guy. It’s called personal space.” Aurora taunted, and skipped just out of reach of her claws. “It’s always happened in your other relationships, right? I bet it gets frustrating after a while, always being rejected; never finding your perfect other.”

Miranda gave a keening cry, and launched herself one more time. She wasn't thinking very well in her anger and almost fell over the safety railing and into the ocean.

Aurora grabbed her arm, but as soon as she was steadied, Miranda gave a stinging blow to her cheek, the slap echoed out into the waves. Merrick and Grant stopped arguing and looked over at the two girls. Miranda was breathing hard and teetering on her high heeled shoes, drunk.

“Is your fit over?” Aurora asked, coolly.

In response, she hiccuped, and slid to the ground.

Aurora held up her hands in defense. “I didn't do anything to her.”

“That’s debatable.” a smooth voice said.

She froze. The voice wasn't Merrick or Grant. “You just don’t know how to leave me alone, do you. I’m surprised that you used that slacker before. He did a terrible job.” she said, glad her voice didn't tremble in fury. Or fear.

“Obviously. Never trust amateurs when you can do it yourself.” the voice said. No one besides Merrick, Grant, Miranda, and Aurora was on the pier. The voice had a metallic tone to it, icy. A voice that Aurora hated with all her heart.

Grant’s drunk form was spinning around in circles, trying to find the person who was talking, and just ended up falling to the ground. That left only Aurora and Merrick standing while the drunk couple just laid there, obvious targets.

Aurora cursed. “Merrick! Help me get these two off the pier!” She was already trying to drag Miranda towards land.

He scrambled and put an arm around Grant.

“Sorry, I don’t mean to get mortals involved, but I can’t let you get away.”

“Then get up here and fight!” she yelled at the ocean.

Instead of complying, she heard a match being struck and the smell of gasoline filled the air. Something that she should have noticed before, but was busy then.

Aurora froze in fear, feeling the flames start to lick at the old aged wood.

Fire.



© 2013 Molly


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
Added on January 19, 2013
Last Updated on January 19, 2013


Author

Molly
Molly

GA



About
Ah... I'm Molly. The weird, awkward hermit that doesn't like people... Yep. That's me... Alright, I'll be honest... I love Owl City (they are my heart and soul) along with the actual owls :3 Mus.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Molly


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Molly