The Crijan Kingdom Chapter 4

The Crijan Kingdom Chapter 4

A Chapter by sam

Chapter 4

Fairbell, Pennsylvania

            In the living room, Zeke and Kellan paced back and forth waiting for the women to return so that they can continue on their journey back home. Zeke radiated annoyance as he ran his fingers through his hair. After a moment had passed he stopped and looked at his traveling companion the “oh mighty great and powerful Fae Guardian Kellan Danar.” Seconds passed, and he started to get more agitated “Do they not understand the urgency of the situation?” He asked out loud. “It is only a matter of time before Sapphire finds out from her spies what the high queen has asked of us and send her slaves in this world after us.” He said as he shuffled around on the hardwood floors.

             Kellan looked at Zeke with distastes. He did not like the fact that the mutt was asked to join him on this mission. Kellan could not fathom what the Queen was thinking having a shapeshifter involved. He was young and not yet capable of these types of tasks and not to mention completely impatient. Finally after a moment passed he replied to Zeke. “Give them a few more minutes. We have time to spare, besides I hear them coming.”

             As the ladies walked into the living room, they could sense the tension had risen between the two men and it was awkward. Janet grabbed onto Sophia’s hand. “Are you ready to go home?” She asked her with excitement laced in her voice. Looking at the woman, you could tell she was happy to go back finally, and it made Sophia’s heart beat fast with the realization that they would be leaving here. “I can do this. I can do this.” Sophia kept repeating this mantra in her head and said allowed “I think I am ready.”

              Zeke was finally happy to be obliged in the thought of leaving lead the way out of the house walking towards the woods that surrounded the back of the little run down farm house. Janet and Sophia followed behind him in the middle while Kellan brought up the rear making sure that nothing and no one was following them. In a whispered voice Sophia asked anyone who would answer “Why are we walking into the woods? I thought we were leaving?” This confused her and left her with a sense of dread.

               Kellan looked at her with a sense of humor in his eyes and a smirk on his ridiculously good looking face. “The portal is just through the lining of the trees and is the fastest and safest way to get back to Crijan, besides it should by time for your other guardian to arrive before the vail clothes” He answered her question.

            “Stop talking!” Zeke hissed at them “if we are being tracked you will lead them straight to us. Now come on just a little bit further this way and we will be in the clear.” He added agitatedly. He could not for the life of him figure out why the princess had to question everything all the time. Even more importantly he hated the fact that Kellan has just succumbed to giving the child the answers she wants. “Warrior my butt,” He thought to himself and let a chuckle slip out. If it weren't for the high queen requesting his services he wouldn’t be wasting his time when he could be making sure his pack of shifters doesn't become traders in service of the dark one and her promises.

            Sophia looked at Janet when Zeke finally stopped his ranting, and they both shook their heads. She couldn’t figure out what his problem with her was. It seemed all her cared about was getting back to this Crijan place as fast as possible. Sophia couldn’t help but favor Kellan for his generosity and the fact that he had one of those laid back attitudes that let her be curious and ask questions without feeling like a burden. However, she could tell that those two would much rather be alone than with each other.

As they continued walking in silence and the night surrounding them the sound of twigs snapping in the woods behind them caught their attention and caused them to stop abruptly. Janet grabbed ahold of Sophia’s arm pulling her close to her. While Kellan the Greek God stepped in front of them holding on to what looked like a spear he pulled out of nowhere, and Zeke on their side making what would appear to be a growling sound radiating from deep within. “Oh please will you be quite, it was hard enough to find you and cover all the tracks as well.” Said a soft, delicate voice that brought comfort to Sophia as she looked around to locate the girl it belonged to. Finally, Clair stepped into vison, and they both ran to each other.

“Clair, Oh my God I am so happy to see you,” Sophia stated staring at her best friend. “Wait why you are here?” she asked and then the answer to her question hit her in the face. Her closest friend is from this Crijan place as well and just like gram’s she has lied to her. Sophia slowly backs away as she realizes no one has been telling her the truth and her whole life has been a lie.

Clair sense the pain in her friend’s voice grabbed her hand and spoke in her soft angel like voice. “Hey, don’t get like this you and I were best friends in Crijan and we are here as well. It is why I was able to come through to this world with you. They knew you would need a friend, guide, and protector at school so I was chosen because of our bond. Trust me I never wanted to lie to you, but we had to keep you safe. I promise.” She felt dreadful about keeping this secret from her and for years she has been struggling with it. Sensing that the time was near to leave Clair skipped school today to get her affairs straight. It helped that Janet provided her with the skills she needed to protect Sophia and a person to talk to when it was important that they stay hidden.

              “Okay, that’s great that this whole love fest “I am so sorry to forgive me” thing is going on, but we need to get going. We have maybe an hour before that portal closes, and if we are not through it, we are stuck until the Queen get restore her power to make another one.” Zeke said with agitation and a hint of paranoia in his voice.

Kellan looked at them all and shook his head “The mutt has a valid point, let’s keep walking north, and we should reach the Vail soon.” He stated smiling at Sophia as he turned and started walking behind the group for safety.

            Everyone continued walking in their narrow little group in an eerie silence. The risk that Zeke kept referring to clung to the air and the thought of being captured by the wrong group before they made it home made it seem like the tension would not be gone anytime soon. After what appeared to be fifteen minutes they came to a grinding halt in front of an enormous old oak tree that seemed to have a northern light effect dancing around it what appeared to look like a door cut out of it.    

 



© 2016 sam


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
Added on July 21, 2016
Last Updated on July 21, 2016


Author

sam
sam

PA



About
25 year old psychology student and mom. I am an avid reader mostly fantasy and yes even young adult at times. I am always found with my nose in a book. I use to write poetry and slowly getting back in.. more..

Writing