August

August

A Chapter by Fay Adora
"

The changes begin.

"

August 13th, 2043

                College is boring.  I had only one class today, and the Professor seemed strange but I guess if you’re teaching Abnormal Psychology then you have to be. When I drove to the campus today I wasn’t sure where to park. I most likely looked ridiculous sprinting around with my schedule held up to my face, looking for the ES building, and checking the time. I walked into the wrong classroom at first. There was this guy sitting beside me, making awkward glances until he introduced himself. Of course, this was all before I realized I was in the wrong place. I tried to act like I had to go the bathroom and left. When I made it to my class I felt like I had walked into a funeral. Not a single person was smiling or even looked like they’d ever had a cheerful thought. Sitting down in that room was what I would imagine sitting in front of a jury that hates you. I don’t think I did anything wrong, how could I? It’s my first day.

 I was hoping I could go to lunch with Kaiya but she has some heavy courses. She’s going to this big private school and they are intense with their workload from what I hear. It’s ok, I’ll visit her soon. She’s there on a cheerleading scholarship. So I’ll go surprise her at a game sometime soon.

Oh! I got an interview! I forgot to write about it earlier. It’s for a fast food chain. I’ve always wondered how those places work. The only thing I’ve ever known about fast food is you go up, you press the picture of what you want, you swipe, and then the pictured food comes out the belt. I never realized that the little help button calls someone out to help you select something. I guess some people like to keep it old fashioned. Anyways, this guy called me because I had put out a general application for jobs in my local, and he called me a couple days later. He is what they call a director which just means he is one of the people in charge. He told me usually there are one to two people working at a time, but that a director has to be working at all times. So like I could work but a director has be there, but directors can work by themselves if it’s slow. It pays four dollars an hour since minimum wage went up from last year.

Finally, something to look forward to. I’m so tired of sitting by myself at home. Maybe if I was working then I would actually be around others. I don’t need money, my sanity needs people. I haven’t told Eve anything about this. I think if I tell her I’m feeling lonely that she’ll worry and make me say everything in my head. The truth is that I’m ok. If she starts to act like I’m not then I’ll start to feel like I’m not, but this is a new phase of life and I’m not going back.

Sara hasn’t gotten back to me yet. Ami has been weird towards me. Well, not so much her as her family. From what I understand, her parents don’t like me. Which is weird because they used to be so nice to me. I don’t know what changed but Ami has been avoiding me. It’s hard not seeing her right now, and I’m hoping I didn’t do anything wrong. It’s confusing but I don’t have time to worry about it… I actually kind of have too much time to start thinking about it. If I start I may not ever stop.

-Fay

 

August 30th, 2043

Sara is ignoring me. Look, I need you to understand that I am not the type of person to be involved in relationship drama, or any type of drama. From what you’ve heard of me so far, it may appear that I am every type of typical. I want you to know I’m not. I just am in a weird season of life right now. People are being particularly difficult, but I’m still me. I don’t know what’s going on with Sara. I know it’s probably not personal but it feels like it is. I’m sure she just has stuff going on with her family.

I’ve started reading this book and I think it might become my new favorite book. It’s about this kid in high school who is slightly awkward but quite smart. I know I should be reading books about college now, but this book is different. It’s not shallow. There are so many stories about dumb drama, gossipers, and over-the-top romantics. All of which, I am none. I never could really relate to those kind of stories where the girls are always airheads and the guys are always jerks. Real life isn’t like that. People are more complicated than that, and I’m a firm believer that even when you think you know someone that there is always more. I think that a lot of people see me a certain way that is not entirely true. I’m not very quiet around large groups and I like to make everyone feel included. I love to make people laugh and sometimes I act like oblivious and stupid because then people tease me and they laugh. I also think it makes people feel like they are smarter than I am, and that makes them feel good. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes I really am totally oblivious… but I do fake it a lot.  That’s ok though it doesn’t bother me. The only time it bothers me is when people think that is all of me. Like I’m nothing but unaware and lost.

                Oh! I got that job. I started last week. I only am working like two days a week right now because the director, Eric, is training me. I’ve only watched videos so far, and I’m a little nervous to actually start. I’m just getting ready to go out with my parents to dinner. Mom has been a little weird this week. Like something is definitely bothering her. I think she’s just stressed from work. Dad has been his usual. Quiet.

-Fay



© 2015 Fay Adora


Author's Note

Fay Adora
Need help and thoughts!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Cool! I like the direction that this piece is going in, but there is definitely room to grow in this piece. The big thing is detail, this is what I would call a skeleton, you got the back bone to this as well as the voice for the main character, but there is major room for growth in the piece. Good stuff so far, keep writing and don't stop until this draft is done!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Fay Adora

9 Years Ago

Thank you! So are you suggesting I just write the entire story and then go back through this and as .. read more
Ceuthonymus

9 Years Ago

I would write the full story first, that way you don't spend forever on just these two chapters and .. read more
Fay Adora

9 Years Ago

Awesome thank you! I appreciate that.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 1, 2015
Last Updated on March 1, 2015
Tags: Changes, college, new situations, intelligence, cliche, freshmen, first day


Author

Fay Adora
Fay Adora

About
I'm writing a little something.. more..

Writing
July July

A Chapter by Fay Adora


September September

A Chapter by Fay Adora