September

September

A Chapter by Fay Adora
"

The 42nd memorial of 9/11

"

September 11th, 2043

                We didn’t have classes today at school. It’s 9/11 so everyone watches these really old documentaries in the morning. Every year my mom tells the same story. She was only six years old when that first attacked happened. When I was born our country was going through a lot, but for some reason they still use 9/11 as a memorial for everything that happened.

                I’m about halfway through that book. The main character is really different than me yet his thoughts are really similar which is weird. It makes me think that maybe all of us really do have the same thoughts but nobody actually says these kinds of things out loud. However, it is totally possible that nobody else really thinks about anything and that I am… alone. I hate that word.

                This Friday I’m going to an event on campus. It’s a freshman, meet new people, be super awkward type thing. Mom says I’ve been home too much. Even with my job it seems like there’s a lot of time left. Everyone else seems really busy. Kaiya is all involved in her cheerleading and classes. Ami is a senior in high school so she has a bunch of school work, parties, and college scouting to do. Sarah is a junior and has sort of disappeared from my world and I’m not sure if I should be worried. You know how when someone pushes you away and you don’t know if they want you to chase them or to leave them alone? I don’t know what I’m supposed to do, but I miss her. I miss Ami too and wish I knew what was going on with her family and me. What did I do?

-Fay A.

 

September 15th, 2043

                Aaaaahhhh! Tonight was amazing! I went to that freshmen thing and at first it was super uninteresting. Teachers introduced themselves and everyone was really reserved. People aren’t very talkative at my school. They had food there which I thought was the best part, but when I got a drink… I met someone. I had just written “Me” on a plastic cup when this guy walked up and said, “Me? Then wouldn’t it be everyone’s?”, and caught me off guard. Normally, this sort of usual humor would just annoy me. At first it did, but then I looked up. Oh man, I can’t even put him into words. His black hair was the first thing I noticed, and the guitar pick hanging around his neck. There was something about his eyes. It was like when he looked at me I knew he was regarding me. Like the type of look that tells you someone is truly listening. Instead of the common glance in your direction like regular people do. Regular people just think about whatever it is they are doing, wanting, or going to say next… but this guy… He wasn’t doing anything. He was just looking at me… waiting for my response.

                Eventually, I actually did respond with something like my name… or something… Now that I think about it I have no idea what I said. Oh gosh, I hope it sounded intelligent. Not too intelligent…What in the world did I say?! Well it was a fun night. I will probably never see him again. It’s not like we talked all night or anything. We had a short conversation about…. Err something… and then I went around to the different club tables. Not that I was actually interested in any of the school groups. All I could think about was getting home to write about him, but I didn’t want to be obvious. Clearly, I’m not quite as talented at listening as he is. All I could think was how I wanted to know him. Well at least I got one thing.

                His name is Benedict.

-Fayyyy

September 20th, 2043

                I came out of class crying today. There have been all these debates on the testing of infants and I seem to be the only one who believes what I do. I may not be as educated or as old as other people, but I know what I believe. I also know that it is a hard decision to categorize a child as unwanted, but I believe there has got to be something more we could do. It’s hard to be the only one in a room who trusts in something while everyone else stares at you like you are the dumbest person they’ve ever met.

Anyways, I came out of class looking awful and then I saw him. Benedict was walking towards me from the end of the sidewalk, but he hadn’t seen me yet. With both hands on his backpack straps he was watching his feet. I tried to make my face go back to normal color but I’m pretty sure my anxiety just made it even redder. He was within getting distance, and I prepared myself to say the most attractive hello I could. Then he passed me. He never looked up. So I followed him.

I realized which building he was going to so I sprinted to the back of the building, came in through the back, and ran to the front doors. Before I could make it to the doors I saw his head come around the corner so I stopped and turned towards the wall. Staring at a picture of the school with a sign that wrote: “EST. 2015” I heard him say my name. This time I knew for sure if my face wasn’t red from the crying or the anxiety that it was from the running.

He asked me about my day. I asked him what class he was heading to. Then I did something I’ve never done before. I gave him my number. Sounds so old fashioned and cliché right?! I’ve never done that before and it’s only something I’ve heard in old movies. Later, I got a phone call. My heart jumped because I thought it was Benedict, but it wasn’t. It was Sara.

And she was not ok.

-Fay

September 21st, 2043

                It’s late. I’ve been up since yesterday. I don’t want to begin to try to understand all that happened. I don’t know what else to say. I’m too tired and scared I’ll say something immature. Yesterday Sara’s little brother had his testing and I totally forgot. However, usually these things come and go, no big deal. Sara’s mom rejected her little brother. His testing came back with a high chance for disability. I’m in shock, but I can’t imagine how Sara is feeling. She’s confused and I don’t know how else to calm her down. “I’m sorry for your loss” just doesn’t seem to help. No one I’ve ever known has actually rejected a child before. It makes me wanna… I need sleep. Goodnight.

Sincerely,

Fay



© 2015 Fay Adora


Author's Note

Fay Adora
Help is appreciated. Reviews are not taken personal.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on March 1, 2015
Last Updated on March 1, 2015
Tags: 9/11, school, college, fay, girl, bored, friends, loss, brother, rejected, unwanted, no sleep, being there, for a friend


Author

Fay Adora
Fay Adora

About
I'm writing a little something.. more..

Writing
July July

A Chapter by Fay Adora


August August

A Chapter by Fay Adora