I

I

A Chapter by Mikayla Rasmussen

Ballet is a dance that requires elegance and concentration. I have done this since I was 5 years old. I remember my older brother Leslie, who was 7 at the time, would always make fun about me looking so feminine when I had on my ballet equipment. I would laugh with him too, because I may have done ballet a lot, but the clothes were not something I preferred.

---

I usually wore torn up blue jeans and sneakers like my brother. Not tutus and ballet flats. We grew up in a house that was back in the woods some, but not completely secluded. Next to the house was a river. That's where Leslie and I would spend most of are time. We even built a little tree-house there. We would spend our days covered head to toe in mud. He and I didn't care if it was blistering hot or bone chilling cool, we always found a way outside. Leslie and I have always been best friends.

The river had many spots to swim and little beaches to play at. There was this one little inlet of land, right below the tree that we later built our tree house in, that was our favorite spot. The water wasn't super deep and there was shallow spots where the water rippled over the rocks. One thing that was peculiar about the beach was a spot in the pebbles where there was a little bouquet of red flowers. It seemed so strange that these flowers that usually needed lots of moist good soil were growing right there so well.

Off to the side of these flowers was this little patch of rocks. Leslie and I had always thought it looked as though there was a face formed by them. The face appeared to be so peaceful and serene. Almost as if the person were sleeping. About two feet down from this spot was this patch of slippery rocks. One time I went to get a few nice stones from the water there and slipped. I hit my head hard the rocks and heard a snap like a whip. I had landed on the stone lady. It left me with a dizzying head ache and bump on my head, but like the trooper my brother taught me to be, I didn't mind it. I went straight back to building our little castle in the sand.

That summer that Leslie was 12 and I was 10, we built our tree house. Even though it was a rather hot summer, hotter than others, It was one of the best we ever had. The heat just made it so much more better for us. We enjoyed the temperature being almost sixty-degrees by seven in the morning. it gave us a lot of extra time to get to the river and build our tree house. During the nights that we would spend sleeping on our porch, we would always watch the stars come out as the sun  finally set at 9:30. They were such long days and ones full of so many memories.

The day the tree house was finally finished was one we loved most. Although we would have to find another project to do, those 6 weeks of building made a lot of memories. One I remember the most is the time I fell off the side of our structure. We hadn't put the wall up over there yet and I had turned and tripped over a hammer. I feel six feet and cut my leg opened on a sharp branch sticking out from under the ground. When I sat up, I noticed all the blood and saw it puddling on the grass below me. Leslie was quick to run to my side and help me back to our house where my parents rushed me to the hospital to get stitches.

We returned home 6 hours later. As soon as we finally coaxed my mother into letting me back outside, we were right back to building the tree house. That night when we camped out under the stars, Leslie and I were talking about when I fell. I told him about how I had noticed all the blood dripping to the grass under my leg.

"Well then we should have some pretty healthy soil in that spot." He responded.

"What do you mean Lez?"

"Don't you know that stuff like decaying corpses and blood is healthy for the soil. The bugs love it too. Worms gobble it up and bathe in the moistness of it."

"Ew Leslie! That's gross! Don't say that. You're so full of it!" I smacked him in the arm and looked at him in disgust.

"What?! I'm not lying it's true! All the stuff holds a lot of nutrients. It's valuable and nutritious for the plants and bugs. That's why flowers grow where we buried Dot. The roots reach all the way down to his little dog skeleton and are feeding off of his rotting corpse."

He said it so straight like it was nothing. I started getting frustrated with him, but was he right?

"Stop it! Don't say that about my puppy!"

"Well it's true Winnie. And now that the bugs have had a taste of you, they want more. They are over there right now squealing in their little bug voices, 'Winnie! We must eat more of Winnie! Wiiiinieee!'"

"Stop! You're so stupid! They're not saying that! They are too stupid to know where it came from or who I am. Shut up!"

"Okay then, don't believe me. I just hope you remember which one of use is older and in a middle school science class, there for, is smarter. Then maybe you will believe me." He got up and went inside our tent.

I got scared without him there. What if he was right? The crickets outside started up. I knew they were just chirping, but all I could here was a feint whisper of my name coming from all the little noises they made. I even heard it in the mosquitoes buzzing, so I got up and rushed inside the tent with my brother and went to sleep. I kept my self wrapped up in my sleeping bag all night, scared to death that the bugs were coming for me.

A couple weeks later, I glanced over the spot where my blood had fallen and noticed red flowers. They were almost like daisies and were growing where my blood had hit the soil. The only spot in our whole, dry, sun burnt yard with lush healthy flowers. Maybe Leslie had been right. That frightened me a lot.

When Leslie and I both had hit adolescence, it surprised people to see us close. Even though Leslie had made other friends in High School, he still kept me around. I wasn't one to socialize with other girls because I couldn't relate much. Every time I tried to talk to boys, they would just start hitting on me. I didn't mind only being with Leslie though. His friends would talk to me and they included me in the things they did. They never hit on me too which was good. I suspect that was because Leslie threatened them and they soon grew to see me as a sister as well.

I was a sophomore when Leslie graduated, so he had been around long enough that people knew not to mess with me. I didn't have any problems with that because of him and I was grateful. My brother taught me to be like a boy, but when it comes to conflict, I still shrivel up into a tiny ball, and hide until it all dissipates. Standing up for myself or anyone else was not something I could do.

Not long after Leslie graduated, he joined the army and started basic training. During the time he was gone was a hard one for me. I looked at it as preparation though, because I knew once he deployed, It may be well over a year before I see him again.

He went on active duty four months ago. His friends still drop by to say hi and ask if we have heard anything. Only his best friend, Colton, will come by and stay to hang out with me, watch t.v. and just keep me company. Colton is a cool guy. We get along well and consider ourselves best friends too. We just aren't as close as Leslie and him. But we are still close enough that he comes over if I ask and will sometimes just drop in. He even comes over to comfort me when I haven't heard from Lez in a while.

I haven't heard from Leslie in 3 and a half weeks now. I miss him so much and I try so hard not to worry, but its hard knowing he is over seas fighting and at any moment he could die.

I remember I told him this at the airport the day he was leaving. I pulled him aside a few minutes before he boarded his flight. I said that I was so worried that he could die any second while we're here living our normal lives and thinking nothing is wrong. He just laughed when I told him this, and I got so frustrated and mad that he wasn't taking me serious.

"Do you think this is a joke? Leslie you could DIE!" I complained to him and stamped my foot.

"Whoa calm down there Winnie. I know you will worry, I will too. I know you're scared, even though I don't show it, so am I. Yes, where I'm going is dangerous, but I promise you, I will come back. I won't ever leave without saying goodbye. I promise. We are strong Winnie. Both of us. We can do this. I know we can because I can and you're my best friend and my baby sister, so I know you can too."

"Then don't say goodbye now. Please." I pleaded him. I didn't want to hear those words from his mouth yet. Not now.

He cracked a half smile and hugged me tight. I heard him sniffle like he was crying, I fought the best I could not too cry as well. Not in front of him.

"See you soon little sister."

"You too big brother."

He turned his back and headed to go tell our parents goodbye once more before he left to board his plane. That's when I let myself cry. I made sure he couldn't see me first and then I just dropped to the floor and wept.  My parents came to collect me as soon as they finished and we went on our way.

---

I always think about those memories as I dance. I always get told when I dance I move with such grace. And as I glide across the floor its almost as though I'm chasing something, like a goal. What they don't understand is I'm not chasing the future, I'm chasing the past. When I move across that hardwood surface, I am chasing my memories as they play out in front of me. All I want is to go back to when my brother was home.

Today's practice was longer than usual though. I guess I got lost in thought or something, because eight hours had gone and past from the time I left until now. It's four p.m., which means my mother is over at the neighbors for tea and my father is still at work. Neither of them will be home until six.

I decide to go watch a bit of television until my parents come home.

It hits six p.m. and I hear the door open.

I got to where I could see the front door when I see man suited up in a green military uniform with a familiar sparkle in his eye and a smile on his face.

"LESLIE!" I scream as I run and wrap my arms tight around him. I felt the cold metal of his dog tag on my cheek and as I pulled away it got caught in my hair. He got it out and I noticed a small notch in the side of it as he tucked it in to his shirt.

"Why didn't you tell us you were coming home? I missed you so much!"

"I missed you so much too Winnie, but you have to listen to me, I love you OK? And no matter what, no one can know I'm here. No matter what you get told, don't tell them I'm here. I missed you so much. I told you I would come home." He finished his sentence with a smirk and then panicked as the sound of a car pulling into our driveway reached our ears. He put his fingers to his lips and gestured that he was going to go hide in our coat closet.

I didn't think much of it because I figured he was just hiding from Mom and Dad or something to scare them. I wonder if that's them now.

A second later I hear a knock at my door. I open it to see two army officials standing there with an envelope. I know that usually when this occurs, it's because a member of your family that is serving has died, but Leslie is home. Why are they here?

"Mrs.Bronx?" The older of the two officers spoke.

"No, this is her daughter. My parents aren't home yet." As soon as I say so, my mother's silver ford pulls in. She gets our of the truck and reaches the porch just as she looks up and notices the two officers. Her first reaction is shock, which  is then replaced with horror and tears. Her hand shoots to cover her mouth as she takes a deep breath and drops to her knees on the stairs. She starts to babble words that we can't understand, but they almost sound like she is begging and pleading no.

The oldest of the officers goes over to offer his hand to help her up. He introduces himself then. "Hello Mrs.Bronx? I am Officer Kim. The Secretary of the Army has asked me to express his deep regret that your son, Leslie Bronx, was killed in action in Afghanistan on 1/28/13. He died in a helicopter crash when his craft got shot from the sky by opposing forces. The Secretary extends his deepest sympathy to you and your family in your tragic loss.”

My mother tried to reply, but couldn't. She was shaking violently and I wanted to help her so much, but all I could do was stand back away from the door stalk still and catatonic. I was just watching it all play out in front of me. I couldn't even hear there voices over my own in my head, "How is it possible? I just saw him. He was just here. He was home. He came home."


© 2014 Mikayla Rasmussen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I wouldn't have repeated the prologue or at least not exactly the same I would change it some perhaps by going into more detail but as it is it just looks like you copy and pasted it (perhaps you did) and because of this it will hold no interest for some people. However if you are going for a kind of journal or diary feel then it works well but I wouldn't call chapters I or II and I wouldn't make the Prologue a prologue. instead I would make everything an "Entry" or something... perhaps a date. I'm also a little annoyed with the small amount of dialog both the small amount and how its written. it seems clucky to me if that makes sense not sure why though. Despite all this I am enjoying your story and I have a few thoughts about the apparently dead Brother.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mikayla Rasmussen

10 Years Ago

i thought i had put in the authors note for the prologue that it was going to be changed? sorry. i a.. read more
Matthew Ian Herrawood W

10 Years Ago

Its late for me and I tend to miss things when im tired so you may have put it in the authors note. .. read more
Mikayla Rasmussen

10 Years Ago

im really glad it does that. thank you



Reviews

I wouldn't have repeated the prologue or at least not exactly the same I would change it some perhaps by going into more detail but as it is it just looks like you copy and pasted it (perhaps you did) and because of this it will hold no interest for some people. However if you are going for a kind of journal or diary feel then it works well but I wouldn't call chapters I or II and I wouldn't make the Prologue a prologue. instead I would make everything an "Entry" or something... perhaps a date. I'm also a little annoyed with the small amount of dialog both the small amount and how its written. it seems clucky to me if that makes sense not sure why though. Despite all this I am enjoying your story and I have a few thoughts about the apparently dead Brother.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mikayla Rasmussen

10 Years Ago

i thought i had put in the authors note for the prologue that it was going to be changed? sorry. i a.. read more
Matthew Ian Herrawood W

10 Years Ago

Its late for me and I tend to miss things when im tired so you may have put it in the authors note. .. read more
Mikayla Rasmussen

10 Years Ago

im really glad it does that. thank you
Replace the line, "That's where Leslie and I would spend most of ARE time", with "That's where Leslie and I would spend most of OUR time." Overall is awesome!

The first thing I wanna say that I love the way of your writing. How you added your prologue here in the story or how your prologue becomes complete is damn surprising to me! That's all what a director needs to make their audience surprised with the great turning point, with some suspense! I love it!
Now, am feeling shame on me that I always thought, "am a best writer!" but neah, you've proved me wrong. so, now the created goes to you that your the best writer.

The story's awesome n emotional as well! For a second, I thought that am watching a movie. You've reminded a some serial clips, some movie's clips n much more through this chapters. This story's i've watched before on t.v, I don't know for how long ago, but am sure, I've watched and it's you who showed me a new version of it n showed me something new in a new form...n that's damn impressive n awesome!

Yeah, you really made me emotional! My heart was crying as well When I was reading or watching this! Am sure, with the time or in future, either you'd be a film director or a great novelist across the world. Am honored to read your this chapter even i've learnt much from you, form your this chapter!

I know the rest of the chapter very well! So, sorry am not gonna read more cause, it's too hard to me to fill my eyes with tears daily! lol

And the most deepest part I love about the chapter's that "Leslie" had promised to her "Winnie" that he'll come back so, when I analysed this chapter again on my mind (at the time of reading your IInd chapter) then I knew that yeah, he completed his promise! He came for "Winnie" (even after the death) to tell her that he love her the most n he gone right after completion of his promise so, I love the depth of the chapter! "He proved that he's the best brother of his best sister n he proved how much he love or loved her!"
And that's the depth of the chapter that makes me emotional too!
"How they both grew up n how within a second he gone from her life's created suspense!"

I love you work! My wishes're always with you!
All the best for your upcoming chapters!

May God Bless you!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stephen

10 Years Ago

Cus, you asked, what do I mean? even what should I mean? The story of yours contained all the summar.. read more
Mikayla Rasmussen

10 Years Ago

the summary is that the story id about a girls emotional and mental breakdown of losing her brother .. read more
Stephen

10 Years Ago

Fine! I don't think, am gonna crack some more jokes with you. I hate people who don't understand jok.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

231 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 23, 2014
Last Updated on March 5, 2014