II

II

A Chapter by Mikayla Rasmussen

I couldn't stand seeing my mother like this. Yet, I couldn't bring myself to go to her side. I just stood there in utter shock. What just happened? He was right there. I can still feel his arms around me, it was so real. I have to tell her he's not dead. I know he told me not to, but she has to know.

Within five minutes the officers completed their business and left. My mother walked in puffy eyed and shaky.

"Leslie's not dead!" I threw at her. She seemed so taken aback by my sudden outburst.

"Wha- what did you just say?" she stuttered through her quivering lips.

"He's not dead Mom. I saw him. He came home right before the officers showed up. He told me not to tell anyone he was here, but I can't keep it from you. You're so sad."

All she could do was stand there and stare at me dumbfounded.

"He is here Mom. I swear. He hid in the coat closet right when they pulled in. Isn't that right Leslie?" I shot back at the closet door.

I waited a moment but there was no response.

"Winnie, what are you going on about. If you are trying to play a joke, now is not the time and what the hell are you even thinking making one about your brother. We just got the news that he is dead, Winnie. Have you lost all ability to show the tiniest ounce of sympathy?" Her look of confusion had turned into subtle rage. She would blow any second if Leslie didn't come out soon.

"No, Mom. I'm not joking he was here. I swear he was. Look, I'll show you." I turned and headed towards the closet. "Okay Leslie, That's enough. Game's over."

I opened the door and stepped to the side to show her Leslie. She didn't flinch or make a sound. Her eyes turned slowly over to me and she pursed her lips. I didn't understand why she looked so furious, but then I realized, since I had opened the door, I had heard nor seen any sign of Leslie. I rotated to face the closet and all I saw was a couple hangers and a broom.

I looked back at her and couldn't find words to explain. "Mom, he was here. He really was... He, he hid right before... I hugged him... He was here. I swear."

"Whitney Jane Bronx! How dare you! How could you be this insensitive! Your brother just passed away and you choose to mock his passing with a joke! I can't believe you would do this. I thought you were better."

She looked at me like I was a monster and walked away. She has never gotten that enraged at me before. I walked over to the corner where I am still hidden, but can see her in the kitchen. She grabs the phone. She will most likely call Dad first, then she will start on a glass of wine. The first of many.

I walked up to my room before my tears became audible. I laid there for hours cuddled up with my pillow just sobbing until it was dark. When no more tears would come and I started to hear my mother being hysterical, I got up. Without thinking, I walked straight out of my room and to Leslie's.

I opened the door and it smelled just like his cologne still. Everything was exactly how he left it. I walked over to his bed and climbed under the covers. I remember I used to do this when we were younger. Mom used to be an alcoholic. During the time she was trying to quit she would go screaming and rampaging through the house breaking things at night. It would scare me and I would always come to Leslie's room and sleep with him. He would reassure me that everything would be okay and make me feel safe.

This was always where I came to feel good and safe. Laying here now makes me feel like he is still here. Like I could I could reach my arms out and cuddle up to him. Just for old times sake I did. Just as I think all I'm going to feel is empty air, My hands stop midway unable to go further. I hit what feels like someone's chest. My eyes shoot open as arms wrap around me and I see someone in the bed. I thought I was alone.

I jump off the bed and gasp. I run to turn on the light and when I do I see Colton sitting up in the bed staring at me with wide eyes.

"H-hey, Winnie." He stammers.

"Colton, what are you doing here? How did you get in? And why are you in Leslie's bed?"

"Your mom called my house and told us the news. I tried knocking but no one answered so I climbed through the window. I was going to go to your room and wake you, but then I saw you in here and could tell you had cried yourself to sleep. I kinda just climbed into his bed too and figured you wouldn't mind."

"What? I don't remember falling asleep. What time is it?"

"Yeah, you were passed the hell out. It's been about 4 hours and I got here about two a.m., so it should be like six in the morning."

I walked back over to the bed and sat on the edge with my back to him. I could feel myself starting to cry again. I sat there staring at my hands in my lap for a short time before Colton came over next to me and put his arm around my shoulder.

"I'm sorry Winnie. I really am. I just am not sure what else more I can do besides say that and hug you. I have never had this happen to me before. No one close to me has ever died. I'm just so sorry Winnie."

I couldn't even speak to him. I wanted to tell him that what he was doing was just fine and that him being there was more than enough, but I couldn't. I just laid my head in the crook of his neck.

We must have been sitting like that for a while, because when we broke apart there was sunlight shining through the windows. We walked downstairs to make breakfast and as we did, my eyes scanned over the coat closet. Thinking about the previous day's events now made me seem so stupid. They don't even seem real anymore. Maybe I should get checked out.

I walk into the kitchen and see Colton with eggs, waffles and bacon already started. I didn't realize how hungry all the crying made me. Although I did feel too upset to eat, I couldn't pass up such a good breakfast.

I sat at the counter and watched him cooking. I noticed how he would reach his hand up every now and then and stroke his chin. He has a bit of facial hair that looked as though he hadn't shaved for a couple weeks. That, his messy hair and the look of exhaustion from staying up all night would have made most guys seem like slobs. For some reason though, he looked like a god.

I sat staring for a few more seconds until he turned around and looked at me quizzically. I looked away fast and felt the heat rise in my face as I began to blush. "Snap out of it Whitney, he is your brother's best friend and like a brother to you as well. Besides, he is way out of your league." I think to my self.

We take two hours to finish our breakfast and then went to the living room to watch television. 11 A.M. rolled around and I started to feel cooped up and stressed. I need to get out before I have a total melt down. I think dancing all day may just be what I need to do.

"Hey, can you give me a ride to the studio?"

"Yeah. When?"

"In a few minutes." I smiled at him and rushed upstairs to get my bag and purse.

When I came back down, I noticed broken glass in our sitting room. My mom must have broke something last night. I walk to the coat closet to get the broom. As I do, I notice something shiny on the floor. I reached down to see what it is and it's Leslie's dog tag with a little broken piece on the side. The same one that I saw him wearing yesterday.

I let it roll over my mind for a minute but it still didn't make any sense. I tucked the necklace into my coat pocket and cleaned up the glass. It wasn't difficult to carry at all, but the necklace felt like it weighed 20 pounds and every step I took was excruciating work for my heart.

I worked as fast as I could and left. Colton and I climbed into his truck and blasted the radio as we made our way to the studio. I looked out the windshield at the road and felt a little better knowing I wouldn't have to travel down it again until tonight.


© 2014 Mikayla Rasmussen


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well, I know very well, I'd wrote in an earlier chapter that I won't read more chapters but I really couldn't control myself to read so, I read but now no more, cause it's very hard to dripping down some drops from the eyes in front of all especially when am staring at a laptop screen n crying n moreover, it makes me feel bad when I become emotional. Anyway, it's just a chapter! Lol

Replace it, "what the hell are you even thinking making ONE about your brother" with "what the hell are you even thinking making FUN about your brother" Overall is good but the ending's not well suited here in this chapter...I meant, the ending of the chapter's not suited, you should have to replace some statements with some emotional ones cause, her brother has died so, how can she think even a once for a breakfast or a ride at all!! and much more! No way! So, you gotta modify the end one portion...
...
Replace it, "Your mom called MY HOUSE and told us the news" with "Your mom called ME HOME and told us the news" Overall is awesome! Starting, middle one part of the chapter's also great but after the middle one portion of the chapter, you, may be, got diverted from the concept a bit so, make it clear!
But I still love your this book! May you get published very soon! :)

All the best! :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stephen

10 Years Ago

Hhaha, keep making the world beautiful with you scents, pretty one :)
Hey .. do you remember l.. read more
Mikayla Rasmussen

10 Years Ago

Its called Not gone. if you actually look through my writing you will find it. it says its a story a.. read more
Stephen

10 Years Ago

Yup, now i've read that one, thanks for letting me know. That's an awesome story i've ever read. Tha.. read more



Reviews

Interesting chapter. Is that the beginning of a love interest? if is I kinda expected that but then again now that I think about it emotions would be up the creek if this happened... By the way dialog didn't seem so clunky in this chapter.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Mikayla Rasmussen

10 Years Ago

thanks and i am not really aiming for a love interest that reason being one of them, so good eye. i .. read more
Matthew Ian Herrawood W

10 Years Ago

Well go write some more then!!! :P lol inbox me when you publish more my read requests are off but i.. read more
Mikayla Rasmussen

10 Years Ago

you got it :)
Well, I know very well, I'd wrote in an earlier chapter that I won't read more chapters but I really couldn't control myself to read so, I read but now no more, cause it's very hard to dripping down some drops from the eyes in front of all especially when am staring at a laptop screen n crying n moreover, it makes me feel bad when I become emotional. Anyway, it's just a chapter! Lol

Replace it, "what the hell are you even thinking making ONE about your brother" with "what the hell are you even thinking making FUN about your brother" Overall is good but the ending's not well suited here in this chapter...I meant, the ending of the chapter's not suited, you should have to replace some statements with some emotional ones cause, her brother has died so, how can she think even a once for a breakfast or a ride at all!! and much more! No way! So, you gotta modify the end one portion...
...
Replace it, "Your mom called MY HOUSE and told us the news" with "Your mom called ME HOME and told us the news" Overall is awesome! Starting, middle one part of the chapter's also great but after the middle one portion of the chapter, you, may be, got diverted from the concept a bit so, make it clear!
But I still love your this book! May you get published very soon! :)

All the best! :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stephen

10 Years Ago

Hhaha, keep making the world beautiful with you scents, pretty one :)
Hey .. do you remember l.. read more
Mikayla Rasmussen

10 Years Ago

Its called Not gone. if you actually look through my writing you will find it. it says its a story a.. read more
Stephen

10 Years Ago

Yup, now i've read that one, thanks for letting me know. That's an awesome story i've ever read. Tha.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 28, 2014
Last Updated on March 5, 2014