Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by SabrinaShall

Chapter Two
Elise was dead on her feet when she got to Oklahoma, but she had to keep going. It was just before noon, she hadn’t slept in over twenty-four hours. She pulled into the first used car lot she found… She wasn’t even sure what town she was in, but it was close to the highway. She flipped down the visor and looked in the mirror… She looked like hell. Her brown hair was crumbled, her eyes were puffy and blood shot. She pulled out a hair tie from her purse, threw her long hair up into a messy bun and put on her sunglasses. Grabbing her purse with attitude, she was determined to make these people think she had money.

“Can I help you miss?” the sales man said, emerging from the small building. He looked like she felt… Good, maybe he’ll be easy to bargain with she thought. She shrugged and looked at him.

“I’m looking for something… I hate this stupid old truck. I’m not sure that you have what I’m looking for though.” she turned her face to look at the vehicles, snuffed her nose. He was nervous, his hands twisted together and he let out a deep breath.

“What is it you’re looking for?”

“I want to trade in the truck, find something else… Doesn’t have to be special, just run well. A fair trade, no extra money down. Can you help me with that?”

“Uh…” he stuttered, he wasn’t used to dealing with a women in charge. “I like to think so. Tell me about your truck and we’ll see what we can come up with.” He seemed a little arrogant, he figured Elise knew nothing of the truck.

“Well…” she paused, smiled at him. “It’s a two door” she smiled a crooked, smart a*s smile “only 10,511 miles”

She kept talking, he kept nodding. Finally he decided that he just couldn’t give her more than a thousand dollars trade in value and she told him she was going to take his business else where.

“No, no, no… There’s no need for that miss. Let me go talk to the manager and see if we can work out a deal.” Elise nodded as he turned back to his office. She walked around, looking at the cars. One stood out to her… It was a light blue, few rust stains, two door, and priced at $1,200. When he came back out, he look frazzled. Before he could say anything she held up her hand.

“I’ll trade you the truck for this car… That’s my only offer.”


****
Elise felt accomplished driving away in her 1991 Buick Century. She couldn’t deny that she needed sleep but she was going to push it off as long as she could. She stopped at a gas station to fill up and get the largest coffee they had, and some caffeine pills. That should keep her up another ten or so hours, she hoped.

It was midnight again, she couldn’t keep her eyes open any longer. She got off on the exit to Edwards, IL. It was a small town as she drove through it and there was one motel. She pulled in, parked, and hoped like hell someone was in there.

“Hello, can I help you?” he said before she was fully in the door. She looked lost, dead on her feet, and mysterious.

“I need a room please.” she smiled, her eyes were a beautiful unusual shade of gray.

“Ok…” he handed her some papers. “Fill this out please. I’m Aaron and I’ll be your host tonight” he smiled and laughed a little. Her smile was brilliant.

“Thanks” she giggled and filled out the paper work. She pushed it towards him and he looked it over.

“No phone number?” he asked curiously.

“No… in the process of moving. Just need a place to stay for a little while.”

“Right this way.” he led her out the door. The walk way was covered and the nights air was cool. Elise suddenly wished she had got her jacket out of the car, but soon she’d be in bed. The stars here were incredibly beautiful, even with the chill. She wondered if it looked like this normally. Maybe she could stay here a while, find a job, just to save up enough money to head to New York. No plans she reminded herself. She would go when she wanted, stay if she please.

I could get used to this view she thought as Aaron walked ahead of her. He was tall, muscular build, gorgeous, that’s for sure. What’s he doing working in a motel over nights? He could be a cop, a bouncer, a male prostitute, she laughed to herself.

“Here you are, miss.” He opened the door and ushered her in.

“Call me Elise, please.” he nodded and looked her over. She looked like she might fall asleep right here. Better get out of here so she can get some rest. Then he noticed she only had one duffle bag and a purse… surely if she was moving there was more.

“Do you need help carry anything else to your room? I’d be glad to help you.” He noticed her body tightened.

“No thank you, this is it for me.” she smile a weak smile as he walked out. She shut and locked the door, collapsing onto the bed.




Elise awoke slowly, rolling over in the big empty bed. She wasn’t sure where she was but she did remember that she was free now. Rubbing her hands over her eyes, trying to wake up a little more she found a clock but she didn’t believe what it said. Four o’clock, in the after noon. Holy s**t. She  got up and went to shower.

With a fresh set of clothes, brushed hair, and finally a small layer of make up, she felt better. Felt more like Elise than she had been in years. She opened the curtains in her small room and let the sun light fill the room. She basked in it, letting herself feel almost happy, then her stomach grumbled. Reminding her that she hadn’t eaten in two full days… she was starving. Slipping on her flip flops, she walked out the door and soon realized that it was much cooler here than it had been in Tucson.  She took in the scenery and really, it was beautiful to her. There wasn’t a lot of cars driving by, no loud music, just calm, little town life.

I think I’m falling in love she thought with this town. She had always wanted the small town life, but it just wasn’t possible for her. Duncan had never wanted to leave Arizona for long and even then, he just wouldn’t leave the city life. Her parents had moved to a smaller town, but when they passed away any hopes of getting Duncan to get, shattered. Her older brother hadn’t talked to her since she moved in with Duncan almost ten years ago, he knew what kind of man he was, but Elise had refused to see him in that light. Oh the trouble I would have saved myself! My new motto, listen to your older brother! She wanted to call him, touch base with him, but she had to figure out some things first.

Across the street there was a small gas station, three pumps, an air hose, and a bathroom. To her right was the check-in office. Nothing special, just a small white building, dirty, big windows though. And to her right, a diner. One of those old ones you see in the movies. She sniffed, and oh boy did it smell delicious! Elise decided it was time to eat, she was starved and couldn’t wait any longer.

When she walked in, the tile floor was off white, matching the walls. It was small with about six booths and twelve stools at the counter. She surveyed the place as she walked to a booth and slid in. Everyone was watching her… of course they were, it’s a small town and she was an outsider. There was a family sitting next to her, just watching her. She smiled at them and tried to keep to herself as she heard them begin to talk. It’s nothing Elise, it’s just a small town and they’re not used to new people. They don’t know who you are and they don’t know Duncan, they won’t tell him. You’re safe here… for now.

“Hello again, Elise.” His voice was familiar, she looked up to see Aaron standing in front of her with a menu. He handed it to her and smiled.

“You work here too?”

“I do, from time to time.” he nodded

“You sure do get around, huh?” Oh great… wrong words. “I’m sorry, that came out wrong… I… uh..” she stuttered and he laughed a deep throaty laugh.

“It’s ok, I know what you mean.” the old men at the counter looked over at her and began to talk, Elise looked back at them then down at the table. Aaron slide in next to her. “Don’t mind the people here, they just aren’t used to you.” he smiled, his perfect lips curved upwards. “Just give em’ time.” She nodded, stunned by his thoughtfulness and his sent. He smelled of wilderness and the cool air. For the first time in a long time, she wanted to be touched. “So have a look at the menu and your waitress with be right out!” and he walked away.

“Hi there, I’m Melody and I’ll be your waitress. Most people just call me Dee.” her voice was chipper and she had a big smile on her face. Her jet black hair was pulled back into high pigtails, curled at the ends, her eyes a crystal blue, and her lips were painted a deep red. Really she was very beautiful and Elise felt a tinge of jealously. “Can I take your order?”

“Yeah..” Elise smile at her. “I’ll have the house salad, light ranch dressing and an iced tea.”

“Sure thing darlin!”

She ate in silence and she had some time to think, which she didn’t really want. She was thinking about Duncan, how he was reacting to her being gone… I’m sure he’s more concerned with that damn truck. Elise thought of his face the night she decided it was time to leave, his dark blue eyes were smoldering with anger.

“You didn’t get my coffee?” he asked.
“No honey, I’m sorry. It completely skipped my mind. I’ll go out and get it right now!” she pleaded, obviously frightened.
“What good it that going to do Elise? Huh? You’re already ruined the evening! All you had to do was get the damn coffee, but NO! You just want to make my life a living hell, don’t you?”
“No, no… I’m so sorry Duncan, it was an honest mistake.”
“That’s more than I can say for you!”
It stung her, even after all the years. His careless words still cut through her like a knife. She knew that she didn’t deserve this but there was no easy way out. She had no friends, no one to run to, no one to protect her. No one but herself and right now she couldn’t do much. He looked at her, eyes still angry.
“Where’s my whiskey?” Oh God she thought… it was still in the car. She looked at him, pleading with her eyes. She felt the tears start to well up in her and her throat burned. It would do no good to cry now Elise, she told herself. He had no sympathy for that sort of thing. What to do, what to do. Distract him! He walked toward her. Too late, she whispered.
“It’s in the trunk, I’ll go get it sweetheart!”
“Jeez, you forgot it in the car huh? Didn’t even THINK about bringing it in to me now did you?” he snarled “Too busy being a little w***e, huh?” She shook her head feverishly. “Liar” he spat at her. She knew there was no since in denying him, it would do no good. He had it in his mind that she was cheating on him and suffered for it a lot. He raised his hand to smack her.

“Oh God” she flinched and whispered. She pulled herself back to today and shook off the image of an enraged Duncan. She left a twenty dollar bill on the table and walked out. She needed a long walk, some fresh air, to feel the breeze on her face. She heard the diner door open and heard someone walking towards her. It was Aaron, all six foot of him. Man he was gorgeous with his shaggy blonde hair, milk chocolate brown eyes, and those plump lips. I wonder what it’d be like to kiss a man like that Elise wondered.

“Hey there! I was wondering if you wanted a tour of the town.”

“Oh… well, I was just going to take a walk…” she smiled a little and saw that he was frowning a bit. “You’re welcome to come along if you’d like… I’m feeling the need for some fresh air.”

“Are ya sure? I don’t want to intrude or anything.” Elise started walking away and looked back at him, cocked her head flashing a grin at him.
 



© 2009 SabrinaShall


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
Added on September 9, 2009


Author

SabrinaShall
SabrinaShall

Cheboygan, MI



About
I'm 25 years old, I've been writing since I was around the age of 12. Poems mostly but as I got older, I started trying my hand at stories. Writing is my outlet, I enjoy it and I think other people en.. more..

Writing