Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Stars and Whales

Prologue


Over infertile lands and dusty paths, and under the constantly drifting, blood-red sky and burning sun, Zobby #776 ambled along through the thin dirt amidst many other Zobbies and Zobbas to the Prine. Just for clarification, a Zobby is a male, whereas a Zobba is a female. #776 had dark, reddish, puffy skin with welts across his face, almost as if his skin had been contused in some way. In fact, all Zobbs looked as such, worn and battered. The sky was huge, and the scorching sun covered a large portion of it.

Each Zobb had a specified number given to them by the Prine, the reason being so that the Prine could easily punch in a number to their tech and find every piece of information there is about that Zobb. And not just a name and a background...everything, and that means an exact location, everything they’ve said or done EVER, and several angles of them through camera. They could even pull up a personal perspective coming from that Zobb’s eyes. The Zobbs “lived,” if you could call it living, in the middle of an infinitely expanding barren desert, the sweltering sun and twinkling stars acting as their roof. They didn’t eat, nor did they drink, for they did not require nourishment to survive.They were headed to the Prine now, the dusty wind pressing into #776’s face.

Once a week the Zobbs were summoned to the Prine to take part in the Pluck. This was a reaping of death. Whomever was chosen would be sacrificed to the sun. You see, the Prine felt indebted to the sun in a way.The sun’s enormity and overbearing heat had little effect on the Zobbs. Several events can be used to back this up. At one point when “humans” roamed the Earth, the sun started acting up. “Humans” are a species of prehistoric creatures who thought they had the Earth to themselves long ago. For almost 5 billion years they developed and adapted to several small environmental changes, but the struggle and stupidity of their state kept them from evacuation and survival. When they were least expecting it the sun roasted them to a crisp. Humans would not have lasted long whether they had escaped their fiery death or not. The humans hated each other down to the marrow of their bones; the hatred was within every one of them, and they didn’t care for anyone or anything.The whole world was at war, and there was no peace. They died at a point when they were farthest apart as a species. So they were gone, and the same could be said for whatever other species had at one point coexisted with these humans. That was when the Zobb people tore themselves from the sun’s core and came to inhabit the Earth.



© 2015 Stars and Whales


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I thought I'd stop by and read this too before chapter 2 comes along. This part is both scientific and theoretical. You use correct English and it was easy enough to read, which is the mark of a good writer. Later on you should expand in the historical aspects and any interpersonal relationships between characters. You did great either way.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stars and Whales

8 Years Ago

Yes, I actually have a whole novel before this about that history, and this is the sequel! Check it .. read more



Reviews

Good start...the reader gets it that we are beyond human civilisation and the game has changed. Indeed intriguing, you wonder who are the Prine and where do they get their power over the Zobbs ? This prologue makes you want to get into chapter 1 to find out what new 'life' has taken hold over our earth. Well done, strong opening.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

lol. this is actually funny. zobb........lol. keep writing, cuz it's interesting so far.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, that is a great beginning. I honestly don't know how to start with this by saying that I love the proluge to this story. It is wonderful.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

On first look it reminded me of the "Borg". Not sure how a sacrifice of a non human will work, but it is your story and I guess I will have to read more to understand.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Awesome! At first sight, it looks like a short prologue but it's incredible the amount of information you give here to the reader. Culture, religion, history and great physical descriptions in just a couple of paragraphs. Great job! Can't wait to see how you will tied this to your other novel.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stars and Whales

8 Years Ago

Thanks. That really helps.
A lot put in the introduction. Made the reader want to know more. You create bad situation and interesting characters and story line. Thank you for sharing the excellent introduction. You gave enough to tempt the reader.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stars and Whales

8 Years Ago

Thank you!
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

You are welcome.
Good read so far... very interesting

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Dak
interesting concept, i love dystopian world stories, looking forward to more

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What an active imagination you have! I think that I told you once that I like to read realistic fiction, stuff that I could bite my teeth into and sort out what might or might not be happening. Fantasy is a bit whimsical for me because there is no solid base of what can or cannot be done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stars and Whales

8 Years Ago

Thank you! I appreciate it.
It is intriguing enough to make people want to read more, which is exactly what you want a prologue to do. The story has a hint of originality which helps, the last thing you want to do is rewrite something already in print or at least without adding some originality.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Stars and Whales

8 Years Ago

? Thanks...I didn't rewrite this from anything?
Bear

8 Years Ago

What I was referring to when I said "rewriting something already in print" for an example: There was.. read more
Stars and Whales

8 Years Ago

Ok lol. Thanks.

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

682 Views
21 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 14, 2015
Last Updated on September 15, 2015


Author

Stars and Whales
Stars and Whales

Middle Earth, The Shire



About
"Even Darkness Must Pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines, it will shine out the clearer." -Samwise Gamgee I love to write, and I hope to become a published writer some day. I ho.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stars and Whales



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


A Woman A Woman

A Poem by Saumya