Banning Mills

Banning Mills

A Story by Sami Khalil
"

From a ghost town to an adventure resort...

"

Image result for Haunted Banning Mills pics


Banning Mills          By Sami Khalil

(From a ghost town to an adventure resort)



He felt caged, unable to escape the vagaries of life. A world without comparison was taking a toll on him. As the weather was unsettled, so was he. Being a lineman himself, he remembered in an eidetic manner the death of his father, who died abruptly from a lightening bolt during a bad storm, tending the power lines in Atlanta, Ga. He wasn’t being careless, but accidents happen. For when it is time for us to go, hold on tightly to the paddles. The boat has arrived.

Here he is alone, needing some comfort, beholden to those ornery memories of the past. His wife suggested a zip lining trip to Banning Mills, claiming that zip lines represent our journeys through life from point A to point Z. Being herself a purveyor of hope, with a twinkle of mirth, he agreed to go with her, hoping it will all take his mind off the concentric rings of depression. While the loss symptoms were on his face, nary a sedentary passenger of brokenness took seat.

They packed their bags, and on they headed for a weekend getaway to Banning Mills. They stayed in a lofty tree house, fully furnished, surrounded by lush foliage all around. Next morning, they paid the fees for zip lining, him wanting to go first before his wife. Harnessed up to the challenge, he hooked his courage up on steel cables and, down he went from the tree canopy, above the babbling Snake Creek gorge. Suspended in midair, high above those waters, he raced in an increased speed, seeing trees, clouds and even a large falcon flying along his side. His quivers of the heart echoed far and wide.

When the adventure ended, he told his wife what he saw. After pondering, she was joyed. Being a Native Indian herself, she shared with him that this Falcon was the spirit of his father. All his gloom was gone. Next, they went to visit the haunted old cotton mill, which supplied uniforms to the confederate soldiers when the town thrived and, before it was deserted long ago. It even had electricity to run its mills in 1887. Now, only shadowy figures abound, left to the not so faint of heart. 

 Image result for Banning Mills tree houses pics

 

© 2019 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You sure can write Sami and my fine literary friend, you do it so bloomin well.. this reads very much like an autobiographical tale, and details several very significant losses, associated anxieties and a whole lot of love.... Confronting our fears whether rational ones or otherwise sure takes some doing and it seems you managed to overcome yours my friend with the help of a zip line and a loving wife.... I have no doubt in my mind that falcon which was by your side was indeed precisely what you both believe it to have been... Neville

Posted 5 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

AGT.........
Neville

5 Years Ago

Yes.. AGT's :)
Sami Khalil

5 Years Ago

::::::::)))))))))))))
"Harnessed up to the challenge, he hooked his courage up on steel cables and, down he went from the tree canopy, above the babbling Snake Creek gorge."

Posted 5 Years Ago



2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

447 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on March 31, 2019
Last Updated on April 1, 2019

Author

Sami Khalil
Sami Khalil

Tuscaloosa, AL



Writing
I Feel I Feel

A Poem by Sami Khalil



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


It rained today It rained today

A Poem by Gee


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic