Hand-held Reality

Hand-held Reality

A Poem by Sami Khalil
"

It speaks of itself...

"

Image result for free cell phone pics



Hand-held Reality   By Sami Khalil



Hand-held reality!

A tactile sculpture,

At our palms. Warm, gelid.

The marriage of fingers and small worlds.

Within grasp, out of grasp. In fashion, out of fashion with purchasing power of hard currency, ready to inspect or provide a retrospect.

A private museum of sensory overload, a gallery of broken signals, fulfilling, beguiling notions, emotions and motions.

Visages drawn in. Curtains slide over windows. Light enters, exits, suffices vast lexicons, bursts of knowledge, intelligent and purblind minds.

The fields are vast; sonic waves forge ahead across lines of communication, invoking towers alighted on perches.    

Salvation of distances is at hand. Separation anxieties healed, albeit momentarily.

Those vulnerable souls have either honest or rapacious desires, beloved or hated in public, private domains, inviting alien shadows, penumbral outlines where thoughts bleed on magic carpets, Earth-bound, Heaven-bound.

Hand-held reality! The small dances of fingers…

 

© 2019 Sami Khalil


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wonderful words shared Sami.
"Hand-held reality! The small dances of fingers…"
Holding hands, quiet time, paradise for the wise. Thank you my friend for sharing your words and your thoughts.
Coyote

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Whoa! Thank you so much Coyote for all your lovely reviews and kind sharing. Glad you like this writ.. read more
Coyote Poetry

4 Years Ago

A amazing poem my friend and you are welcome.
Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Thank you kindly dear poet...
Well done Sami for describing our nemesis in such eloquent words. Most of us are not aware or choose to be blind to our serfdom. Its quite frightening when you stop and look around and realise everyone is absorbed in a screen. Dancing fingers leading us a merry dance - to where?
I should have sent you a letter!
Alan

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Whoeee! So true and well said dear Alan. You have nailed it on the heard. Hard to get rid of this ad.. read more
Just another way of withdrawing from reality. Send a text, that'll do, perish the thought of face to face; people even get fired by text nowadays.

I read somewhere that every day worldwide, over 150 billion texts are sent; that's one hell of a lot of finger tip tap tipping, ain't it.

It'll all end in tears

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Whoa! I did not know that. That shows you the state of our world now. Things has changed tremendousl.. read more
"a gallery of broken signals, fulfilling, beguiling notions, emotions and motions..."
Very insightful Sami!

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Thank you so much for the visit and review.
Great insight! I am always inspired by your ability to use big words, visages, penumbral and make then seem understandable.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Wow! Thank you so much Phillip for your mesmerizing review and experience sharing. Thank you too for.. read more
kind of ironic isn't it Sami, we live in a world where we are even more interconnected with each other and yet what is most prized is our self containment as seen by the throngs of people looking down at their cell phones.... I am reminded of Isaac Asimov and in one of his books he describes a world where there is almost no human social interaction... everything is done via TV connections... he wrote this back in the 1950's and seems he was quite prolific... also very ironic how a "smart" phone can also make us very dumb....
love the imagery you paint with your words Sami... nicely done...

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Whoa! So true and wonderfully stated. I can't agree more. It is all ironic and worth contemplating t.. read more
Although cell phones are hailed, (in the same way as social media is,) as the ultimate in connection, are they not really the ultimate in disconnect? All those fingers tip tapping, a billion plus texts and calls made every hour of every day, with increasingly less time and inclination it seems for face to face communication.

Whatever did we do before the cell phone came along? Though I do remember posing myself the same question a couple of months or so after I purchased my first microwave oven, which I confess I find a most useful appliance when one is in a hurry. :)

T.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

A double edge sword I guess depending on how we use modern technology. People can go to extremes as .. read more
The marriage of fingers and small world is an imperishable, everlasting enchantment. You have written a stunning poem about world's hand-held reality. The perpetual dance of fingers that we all worship, Dear Sami.
Lately often we have been without electricity for full days now and again ( maintenance reasons) and ( (without wifi)I can see my whole family suffering without that hand-held reality you described perfectly.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Whoa! So sorry to hear that and so glad you have shared this powerful testimony. It is fitting to de.. read more
Mrudula Rani

4 Years Ago

Our powe is back after 3 weekends of inconvenience. Thank you . Your wonderful poems always are a g.. read more
Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

My pleasure. You too...
Ah, yes, the cell phone. We see people having dinner while still on the phone, people walking while on the phone, people driving while on the phone. It is scary. I think people have started to ignore Mother Nature's beauty because they are staring at the small screen. People do not have real face to face conversations....only text message friends. It is a sign of the times and actually quite sad. Good write, Sami. Lydi**

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

Whoa! I so agree with your assessment on our current state with this small screen called the cellpho.. read more
I have to admit not liking my phone overly. When I am out and about, I much prefer to look at the sights and sound around me. Of course, I spent significant time on the computer but the vase majority of it, is to do with writing and poetry. I really do not understand the allure of the small screen, when there is big time beauty to be held in the real world. Intriguing and effective write, Sami:)

Posted 4 Years Ago


Sami Khalil

4 Years Ago

You are so right. It is so vital to have that kind of priority and balance in our lives for we are m.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

216 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on October 13, 2019
Last Updated on October 13, 2019

Author

Sami Khalil
Sami Khalil

Tuscaloosa, AL



Writing
I Feel I Feel

A Poem by Sami Khalil



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Until... Until...

A Poem by MsJewel