The Death of Bruce Lee

The Death of Bruce Lee

A Story by Samuel Pennell
"

Ancient Chinese curse and wisdom

"
The news of Bruce Lee's death came in across the wire, and sent shivers down everyone's spine. There was yellowed footage of his death, his funeral, and his coffin. There were even shots of him lying in his coffin. There was queer and strange Chinese violin music that had this wilting and weeping sound to it.  It had this quivering, sorrowful sound that reminded one of a woman whining. His coffin wad dragged through the streets, as the rain drizzled on it. There were paper dragons dancing and bumping through the streets. They were paraded by; they celebrated the sad news of his death. The infinitely powerful dragon had been cut down in his youth. Some said he had tempted the gods; some said that he had incurred the wrath of an ancient Chinese curse. He had built his house upon a graveyard, and there was a hex upon his soul. The storm clouds gathered above his head, and the Chinese gods reached from beyond the grave and touched him with the hand of death.  
Strange transmissions came from a strange place. It was rumored that wise old Chinese men were talking in back rooms. The body lying in the coffin was not actually Bruce Lee.

© 2014 Samuel Pennell


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wish the body lying in the coffin were not actually Bruce Lee's.
He is a LEGEND. My dad insistently showed me Enter The Dragon and I watch it everytime it airs on TV, especially the three fights at the three levels in the climax.
Not only was he a superb martial artist, but also a conscientious and thoughtful man, and loved psychology. I was shocked when I came to know he died at a young age of 24.
Thanks for this piece. It adds to his awe and aura.


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Pennell

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading and for the compliment! Bruce changed everything. We wouldn't really h.. read more
Akshay Rawal

8 Years Ago

Yeah, and this write-up highlights that well.



Reviews

Wish the body lying in the coffin were not actually Bruce Lee's.
He is a LEGEND. My dad insistently showed me Enter The Dragon and I watch it everytime it airs on TV, especially the three fights at the three levels in the climax.
Not only was he a superb martial artist, but also a conscientious and thoughtful man, and loved psychology. I was shocked when I came to know he died at a young age of 24.
Thanks for this piece. It adds to his awe and aura.


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Pennell

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much for reading and for the compliment! Bruce changed everything. We wouldn't really h.. read more
Akshay Rawal

8 Years Ago

Yeah, and this write-up highlights that well.
I opened this piece being a fan of Bruce Lee and hoping for a new perspective upon his life and death. I enjoyed the retelling of events, but I’m wondering if there’s more the author (you) meant to bring to light. The legend and the curse are well known, some say Brandon’s fatal shot on the set of ‘The Crow’ played a roll. The movie ‘Dragon, The Bruce Lee’ story used it as a heavy theme, finishing with Bruce (Jason Scott Lee) conquering the curse/demon elevating his heirs . . . of course we know that didn’t truly happen. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed reading, I’m just curious of your intentions with the piece, or is it simply homage to a great man and legend? I ask because I’m curious if I missed something, not putting the work down. In fact it’s well written and brings a great being to the forefront of our minds.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Samuel Pennell

9 Years Ago

I'm not sure that there is any new perspective on Bruce Lee's death in here, it was just told from t.. read more
Jack Wolfe

9 Years Ago

I couldn't agree with you more. I wasn't putting the work down, just a curious statement.
Bruce Lee has left the building...or not. Found this little hint of a bigger story quite fascinating.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Pennell

9 Years Ago

Thank you! I wanted to plant a little jewel of intrigue there at the end.
It is sad indeed. heartfelt.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Pennell

9 Years Ago

Thanks, Ivory! It was a haunting experience. The ghost of Bruce Lee haunts me.
Hearsay can go in anyway. It is an art in itself. The storyteller who could not write often resort to it.
Your way of writing provides weight to the gravity of the situation. Fact is the world is still mourning the death of Bruce Lee. Thanks for inviting.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Pennell

9 Years Ago

Thanks for reading! I almost called this piece "The Curse of the Dragon."
i had not known of all the theories surrounding his death .. only the family curse ... which is even spookier given his son's untimely and weird death .. i might start reading new papers if articles were delivered the way you have .. there is such a quiet reverential superstitious pall over it ..

such a tragic end just when he was coming into his own :(
E.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Samuel Pennell

9 Years Ago

Thank you, E! I really appreciate you reading and of course your review is really insightful as well.. read more
Einstein Noodle

9 Years Ago

yes .. giving me a chill for sure .. who can say what happens in the land of dragons and mirrors .. .. read more
Hmm... Makes one think of all the rumors but this is a new one to me.


Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Pennell

9 Years Ago

Thank you Rachelle!
Aristotle referred to the balance of mind in body ... its an important rule. Our health and condition should be able to keep balance with our drives and ambition. It makes for a long life. Nice ...

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Pennell

9 Years Ago

Thank you for reading Dayran! Bruce pushed himself beyond his limit, and indeed this may have been h.. read more
Dayran

9 Years Ago

It helps!.............................
That I had not heard. Much mystery has surrounded his untimely demise. You write with a reverent hush in this piece.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Pennell

9 Years Ago

Thank you, Icelandic! I appreciate your insightful analysis. It means a lot!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

378 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 22, 2014
Last Updated on December 10, 2014
Tags: Bruce Lee, death, death of Bruce Lee, Chinese, martial arts, king fu, curse

Author

Samuel Pennell
Samuel Pennell

ME



About
I'll think of something later. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Downfall Downfall

A Poem by A. Amos