Chapter 12 - December 2009

Chapter 12 - December 2009

A Chapter by S.B. Grace

With Mary-ann’s condition, I cancelled my trip to Florida, telling my sister I would try again in the summer.

Colorful lights and decorations filled the Rehabilitation Ward, making it a Christmas wonderland. The yellow brick road was painted red, green and white. Santa and his reindeer took up most of the wall in the main hallway. Paper snowflakes hung from the ceiling. Several children skipped between rooms dropping off freshly baked sugar cookies cut in different shapes.

I waved to nurse Benson, signed in and walked to Mary-ann’s room. The door was open when I arrived and I could hear the faintest of giggles coming from inside. I took the seat outside of the room and watched as Mary-ann sat by the window, a pair of scissors in her hands, cutting her own snowflake.

A little boy sucking a lollipop sat next to her. He wore a red sweatshirt, black shorts and a pair of white Nikes on his feet. On his head was a blue hat pulled down over his ears. It was then I realized it was the boy that had given her a hug in the park so many months ago. I couldn’t hear what they were saying, but their laughter filled the room every so often as small pieces of paper fell to the ground.

I moved the chair slowly to the edge of the doorway.

“I used to make these with my children,” Mary-ann said, setting the scissors down on the windowsill and unfolding her snowflake.

“Wow,” the boy said, twisting his body to get a better look. He spun upside down, his tongue falling out of his mouth.

“Oh, you stop that,” Mary-ann giggled, tickling him on the neck. “Where should I put this?” she asked. The boy pointed at the window, just above his head. “Tear off some of that tape and hand it here.”

Mary-ann demonstrated how to make a loop with the tape so you could stick it to the back. He helped her secure it to the window and they sat back in their chairs, their faces oozing with satisfaction.

“Remind me of your name. I think I’ve forgotten,” Mary-ann said.

“Again,” the boy sighed, shaking his head in confusion. “My name is Landon. Landon, Landon, Landon. My full name is Landon Patrick Seawith. I was born on May fifth to my parents Sherry and Michael. My mother is a nurse here at the hospital and my dad works as a building manager for schools. He says that--”

“Slow down, slow,” Mary-ann said, gesturing with her hands. “I’ve almost forgotten your name again with all that talking.”

“We should make name tags, that way we won’t ever forget.” Landon’s smile grew, baring a missing tooth on the left side of his mouth.

“That is a wonderful idea.” Mary-ann looked out the window. Snow fell gently from the sky, piling up on the ground below. “Tell me why you’re here again,” she said, turning her attention back to Landon.

“I like to say a monster climbed in through my ear and started eating away at my brain. But, my mom says that I shouldn’t tell people that.” He reached for his head and pulled away his hat. His head was bald, thin ripples of blue and red veins running along his scalp like rivers on a map.

“A monster?” Mary-ann gasped, holding her hands over her mouth. “What kind of monster?”

“Its name is cancer. It’s the third time it’s come back.” He turned his head to show her the scar that ran along the back. “The first time was when I was four. The doctors said if I survived the surgery, it was likely the cancer would return. And it did. Two years later they tried to cut it all out again.” Landon slipped his hat back over his head and crossed his arms. “‘He’s a strong kid.’ That’s what all the doctors and nurses keep saying.” Uncrossing his arms, he raised his right arm and flexed, pulling the sleeve up to make his arm look enormous.

“Oh my, you are strong. Look at that,” Mary-ann said. She reached out and grabbed his arm, pulling him in close and tickling his armpit. Landon rolled free, his breath heavy and mouth spilling with drool.

“That’s my most ticklish spot,” he pouted, trying to catch his breath. He couldn’t stay upset very long, his arms crossed over his chest and a smile creeping back to his lips.

I heard footsteps from down the hallway and turned to find Allan walking up with a vase of flowers and a small box of chocolates. He smiled and waved. “Hey, I didn’t know you were coming today. How is she doing?” he said, stopping at my side and considering the room. “Hey, what--”

I grabbed him by the arm and held my finger up to my lips to silence him. “Just watch,” I whispered.

“I’m almost ten now and this time, the doctor said he hopes it won’t ever come back. I can’t ever play football though. I really love football, but I wouldn’t be able to handle all the contact.” Landon rolled his sleeves up to his elbows to show Mary-ann another scar. “This happened when I was walking through the kitchen. I wasn’t looking where I was going and walked into the side of the table.”

Mary-ann let her lips fall to a frown, the leaned down and kissed his arm. “Pour thing, what happened?”

“I just told you I walked into a table,” Landon said with a laugh.

“Yes, of course. Remind me of your name sweetheart.”

Landon exhaled audibly and stood. “I’ll be back. I’m going to go ask nurse Benson for paper so I can make a name tag.” He turned and bolted for the door, dodging between Allan and me as if he didn’t care that we were there.

Allan walked into the room and set the chocolates down on the bed. “Hello love,” he said, taking the seat next his wife.

“Allan. I’m so glad you’re here. I’ve just met this nice young boy but I can’t remember his name.” Mary-ann searched the room for him. “He was just here, I swear it.” She was growing agitated, her hands stiffening into fists.

“He will be right back. Don’t worry.” Allan stroked her back and she calmed, looking out the window at the falling snow. The tree branches were bare and you could see the buildings that sat on the other side of the park.

“Look, I’ve brought you some flowers.” She set the vase down on the windowsill.

“Their beautiful Allan. Thank you. Amaryllis too, they’re my favorite.” She leaned forward and sniffed the pedals. “Lovely,” she said, hugging herself.

“Nurse Benson said to be careful with the scissors Mama,” Landon said as he walked back into the room. “Hey mister.” He looked Allan up and down, then dropped a handful of materials onto a small table. “My name is Landon. Landon Patrick Seawith. I’m going to make a name tag so Mama won’t forget.”

“That’s a clever idea. Would you like me to help?” Allan asked.

“No, I’ve got this. I will need to you move when I’m done though. I was sitting there.” Without hesitating, Landon went to work on his nametag. Allan, shot a funny look my way and laughed.

“There we go,” Landon said, pulling the tag off the back and sticking his name on his chest. “I wrote my entire name, see. Landon Patrick Seawith, but you can just call me Landon.”

Mary-ann turned and clapped her hands together. “Allan, this is the boy I was telling you about. His name is--”

“Landon Patrick Seawith. I know, we’ve just met,” Allan interrupted sarcastically. Instead of making a fuss, Allan stood up from his seat.

            “Thanks mister,” Landon said, quick to move in.

            “I also brought you some chocolates love,” Allan said, getting the box off the bed and setting them on her lap.

            “Thank you. Are you going somewhere?” she asked.

            “Just over here to this chair.” Allan sat just inside the room. “Quite the kid huh?” he asked, turning towards me.

            “Yeah. Smart. I think he might be good for her you know.” I closed my notepad and placed it on the ground beside me.

            “How so?” he asked.

            “Well, he doesn’t have much concept of the disease and he seems to push past the frustration of her forgetting things. Maybe it would be good for her to spend time with him.” I crossed a leg over my knee and folded my arms. “I don’t know. Just a thought.”

            “Yeah and next thing you know, he’s pushing her all around the hospital. I don’t think so.” Allan looked back at his wife who was smiling, listening to Landon tell a story.

            “I’m sure the nurses could keep a close eye on their movement,” I said hopefully.

            “Well it doesn’t look like anyone is keep an eye on either of them right now,” he responded. “Who is he anyway, and why is just allowed to be in the room.”

            With a smirk I said, “His name is Landon. Landon Patrick Seawith.”

            “Ah, shut up,” Allan spat, a twinkle of a smile gracing his lips.

Just then, nurse Proctor walked up carrying a small plate of fruit. “Hello gentlemen. I see you’ve met our newest couple. Landon and Mary-ann.” She smiled and walked into the room, placing the fruit on the small table.

“Thank you, Ms. Proctor,” Landon said, reaching over and snatching up a few grapes.

“You are most welcome little superman,” she said as she walked back toward the door.

“What do you mean new couple?” Allan asked. “Why haven’t I been told they were spending time together?”

“I could hardly believe you should be worried Mr. Cauldwell. The boy is only nine years old.” Nurse Proctor leaned against the doorway, one hand stuffed into a pocket. “Anyway, we found Landon about a week ago putting together a puzzle and talking to her while she was taking a nap. We didn’t see any harm in it and reported to Dr. Imish. He said, ‘a bit of young energy might actually be good for her.’”

“It still doesn’t explain why I wasn’t--”

“Allan,” I said, resting my hand on his shoulder. “I think they were worried you might overreact. Now I know I’m not your son, but I think I’ve gained some respect over the last year and half, right?” Allan nodded his head. “Then believe me when I say you are overreacting. Let’s just see how this all plays out.”

“Watch this,” Landon said. We looked over as Landon was tossing a grape in the air. It fell cleanly into his mouth and he bowed like an Olympic gymnast.

“Well done Landon,” Mary-ann said, clapping her hands. “Try another.”

Landon reached back to the plate and grabbed the last two grapes. “I’ll throw it even higher this time okay?” The grape nearly hit the ceiling and came crashing down into Landon’s cheek.

Mary-ann burst with laughter and I heard her snort for the first time. I glanced over at Allan, his eyes wide and filling with tears. I could tell it was the first time he had heard it in a long time. Squeezing his shoulder, I mouthed the word, ‘see,’ and smiled.

Their laughter went on for several minutes, tears of joy streaming down their faces.

            Before leaving, Allan mention there would be a Christmas party at the hospital at the end of the week. “You should join us. It will be fun.”

 

<>

 

            The lights flashed to the sound of Jingle Bell Rock. Doctors and nurses alike were dressed in ugly sweaters. The patients sat in a circle in the main lobby for a round of white elephant. Christmas presents were piled high in the middle, the smell of warm apple cider floating through the air.

I sat off to the side and watched as some of the children poked at presents and family members piled in for an evening of celebration.

Allan sat beside Mary-ann, his arm resting gently on her leg. He wore clip on elf ears

and a green hat, his smile breaking easily through his lips. Landon sat on the floor between Mary-ann’s legs; his parents, sat on the other side. He collapsed his fingers together and looked at the pile with eager eyes and a drooling mouth.

            “Can I have everyone’s attention please,” nurse Benson said as he climbed onto a chair. His sweater was dark brown with strips of real bark glued to the chest and arms. A cardboard cutout of a squirrel rested on his shoulder, its cheeks plump with acorns. The room settled save for the occasional child giggling. “Thank you for coming out this evening. We have the pleasure of hosting the annual white elephant gathering and hope everyone leaves very unhappy with their gift.”

            The room bounced with laughter. Nurse Benson raised his hand to quiet them before continuing. “There are plenty of snacks on the table in the corner, as well as drinks, so don’t be bashful. Without further ado, let’s get this thing started.” He raised his fist into the air and shouted, sending excitement through the room.

            A girl of seven battling seizures was the first to choose her present. Dozens of little hands pointed all around the pile trying to convince her which one to choose. A small blue box with a white bow caught her eye and she snatch it into her hands. As she opened the box, it was hard to see as every child rushed to look over her shoulder. Confused, the girl raised the gift into the air and said, “What is it?”

            Her mother, a plump blonde wearing jeans and a white sweater giggled, pulling her daughter close and whispering in her ear.

            “Ewe. I don’t want this,” she said, throwing a small box of Q-tips on the ground.

            “It’s alright Mikenzi,” nurse Benson said. “Hold onto the gift because you will have a chance at the end to steal anyone else's gift you might want.”

            Though reluctant, she knelt and picked up the Q-tips before finding a seat on her mother’s lap.

            In ten minutes, we saw a toy car, chocolate (which was stolen), a gift card to Starbucks, a flashlight and a bar of soup. Having never seen or played this game, I was at the edge of my seat after each number was called and a new present was being opened. I made a quick note to make sure I mention it to my brother for our Christmas party a few weeks later.

            “Number sixteen,” nurse Benson said as the room quieted.

            “That’s you,” Landon said, turning to face Mary-ann. “I can get your present for you. You just need to tell me which one you want.” Landon stood and placed his hands-on Mary-ann’s knees, leaning in close to her face.

            “I can’t see the pile if you’re standing there, now can I?” Mary-ann crunched her nose and stuck her tongue out at him. He jumped to the side. His mother grabbed him by the waist and pulled him in for a hug. “That one, there,” Mary-ann said, pointing.

            Landon wriggled free and lunged toward the pile grabbing a large black box. “This one?” he asked, barely able to lift it.

            “No, that one.” Landon moved to a smaller, yellow box but Mary-ann shook her head. “Not that one, the bag next to it with paper coming out.” Landon hurried back with the bag and set it down on her lap.

            Mary-ann slowly pulled out the tissue paper. Inside was a round, heavy ball covered in green and red wrapping paper. Her hands shook and her nails were too brittle as she tried to tear the paper free.

            “I can help if you’d like,” Landon said. Mary-ann gladly handed it over, watching as Landon tore the paper off and handed back a snow globe of New York City. “So cool,” Landon said, jumping up and down. “Hey everyone, look. It’s a snow globe. Did you know that the grandson of Erwin Perzy, and Austrian man, invented these back in 1905?”

            Landon seemed to miss the shocked stares that waved through the room, turning back and admiring the flakes of snow as they fell over the Empire State Building.

            “No one better steal this from Mama. It’s good luck. It will make her remember.” He looked up at Mary-ann with an expression only a child could, eyes gentle, cheeks dimpled and mouth agape with glaring white teeth.

            “It really is beautiful. What did you say this was?” Mary-ann asked.

            “It’s a snow globe sweetheart,” Allan said, reaching over and giving it a shake. “See, all the snow is falling over New York.”

            “How wonderful. This will go right on the windowsill next to the--” Her eyes wandered back to the pile of presents, forgetting and remembering all in one.

            By the end of the evening, the pile of presents turned into a giant pile of wrapping paper and empty gift bags. Landon came away with a candle, which he wasn’t too upset about, saying, ‘It’s supposed to smell like strawberries. I love strawberries.’ He continued to protect Mary-ann and her snow globe every time someone walked by, looking for a present to steal. Mikenzi, traded her Q-tips for a bag of peanut M&Ms.

            “That was quite the game,” I said to nurse Benson as I helped clean.

            “You’ve never played?” he asked, tossing a plate of half-bitten cookies into the trash.

            “Never even heard of it. That’s something my family and the office needs to do.”

            “It can get a little crazy when a few drinks are involved.” He opened another trash bag and I pushed an arm full of wrapping paper to the bottom. “Thanks for helping clean up. That means a lot.”

            “Of course. Allan’s helping Mary-ann into bed and I told him I’d ride the train back with him. I wasn’t going to just sit here and watch.”

            “They don’t all come like you. Some of the parents leave fifteen minutes early just so they don’t have to.” He laughed, taking a bottle and spraying the table with it.

            “I can’t say I would have always done it. After meeting the Cauldwell family, I feel like I’m a completely different person, and better for it.” I helped wipe down the table and walked to the front desk when we were finished.

            “You ready?” a voice said from behind me.

            Turning, I found Allan with a small basket of cookies in his hands and a wide grin strapped across his face.

            “I’m ready. Have a good night nurse Benson,” I said, knocking my knuckles on the counter and heading for the door.

            “You too fellas,” he said.

            Allan fell into the train seat with a thump, the smile still glued to his lips. “That was really nice,” he said, setting the basket to the side and turning to face me. “I think that kid really will be good for her. She hasn’t had an outburst in two weeks and she’s getting her smile back.” Allan’s head fell onto the window.

            “What did I say. Young energy.”

            “I didn’t believe it at first, but you were right. Hey, thanks for coming out tonight.”

            “Of course.”

            Allan sat forward, his elbows resting on his knees. “God knows I have enough, but you’re like a son to me now, you know that right?” He turned his head and smiled a different smile, a fatherly smile. “If there’s anything I can ever do, don’t hesitate to ask.”


© 2017 S.B. Grace


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

71 Views
Added on September 15, 2017
Last Updated on September 15, 2017


Author

S.B. Grace
S.B. Grace

Earlville, NY



About
Born in Upstate N.Y. Journalism degree from Liberty University. more..

Writing