Chapter 15 - April 2010

Chapter 15 - April 2010

A Chapter by S.B. Grace

Most of the snow melted away leaving small puddles of water all around the city. Work in the office was slow and I only had a week left until Amy needed my three-page spread for the May release; so, I hopped on the train and headed to the hospital.

            Mary-ann’s room smelled of lavender, a small candle flickering on her bedside table. She sat in her wheelchair with her back to the window, an eyepatch over her right eye and brown marker drawn all over her chin. Landon sat on the bed across from her, a paper hat resting on his head and a stuffed bird tied to his shoulder.

            Taking the seat by the door, I opened my notepad and blended into the background, letting the scene unfold.

            “So what kind of treasure are we going to be looking for?” Landon asked, trying to sound like a pirate.

            Mary-ann giggle, holding her hand over her mouth and shrugging her shoulders. “Well, I don’t know. Something shiny I guess.” She clapped her hands together as she smiled her famous smile.

            “Jewels and gold and silver eh?” Landon raised his hand above his head, thrusting a paper sword into the air. “Okay, now we need to name our ship. Some of the most famous names for pirate ships are Roebuck, Queen Anne’s Revenge and The Black Pearl. But I think we should come up with our own. Something clever eh,” he said, giggling every time he said ‘eh.’

            “What did you have in mind?” Mary-ann asked, gingerly scratching her face.

            “Hmm. How about… Mary-ann’s Delight. What do you think Craggy?” he said, turning to his bird. Mary-ann’s Delight. Mary-ann’s Delight, the bird squawked. “That settles it. We are pirates, sailing the seven seas on board our vessel, Mary-ann’s delight. In search of buried gold, silver and jewels.”

            “Where do you reckon we should go first eh?” Mary-ann said, her chest bouncing with laughter.

            “Well we aren’t ready to go yet.”

            “We aren’t?” she asked, turning her head to the side.

            “Of course not. We need a crew of at least five others and we won’t be the only pirates on the water.” Landon hopped down from the bed and began to pace back and forth as if walking the deck of a ship. “We need a cook. Someone that will make great food. What should their name be?” he asked, pointing the sword at Mary-ann.

            “Let’s see. Oh, you know I’m no good with names. If you didn’t have that name tag on I would keep forgetting yours.” She let her hands fall on her lap, hopeless.

            “No. Think really hard. What’s a good name for a cook.”

            Mary-ann blew air through her nose, pouting like a child. “Oh, I don’t know. Uh...Carol. Why not Carol. That’s a good name don’t you think?”

            “A wonderful name. See, I knew you could do it.” Landon paced back the other way, now walking with a limp, his peg leg tapping sharply on the floor. “Four more names. We need two men to man the sails and two men to load the cannons.”

            “Okay, let’s see here. Luke and Prince. Those sound like the names of strong men who could man our sails.” Mary-ann suddenly sat higher in her chair, a sense of excitement exuding from her face. “And Paul and Aaron. They could shoot our cannons if another ship came our way.”

            “Perfect!” Landon shouted, standing up on the chair and pretending to look through a spyglass. “One more thing before we set sail. All pirates have an arch nemesis. Another pirate who seeks the same treasure. Someone we must fight to find riches that will allow us to feed the hungry, and give shelter to those in need.” He jumped back down and stroked his chin in thought. “The evil pirate captain, Allan Slumpshoulder.”

Mary-ann burst, holding her hand in front of her mouth. “That sounds an awful lot like my husband,” she said, reaching up to tickle him. “And let’s say he’s holding a pretty princess captive. Princess Stacey of--” Just like that, Mary-ann’s eyes drifted off to the other side of the room.

“Of Angeland,” Landon finished, springing back onto the bed.

Mary-ann turned her attention back to the game, shaking her head as if she understood.

I sat baffled, unable to believe what had happened myself. It had been months since Mary-ann spoke the names of her children, and with the magic of this little boy, she brought them back without even knowing it.

“All aboard Mary-ann’s Delight,” Landon exclaimed, standing up on the bed and pointing his sword. “We are heading east to Dark Beard Island in search of the greatest treasure this world has ever seen.”

Mary-ann let out a hoot.

“Prince, Luke, man the sails. Carol, get below deck and start cooking us all something delicious. Paul, Aaron, load the cannons, we must be prepared to fight at any moment.” Landon hopped back down and leaned in close to Mary-ann. “Lieutenant, be my eyes on the horizon. Captain Slumpshoulder is bound to be out there.” Waving his hand in an arching motion, Landon spun her wheelchair and began pushing her slowly around the room.

Mary-ann held her hand up to her eye and peered through it, moving her head from side

to side. “Nothing yet captain.”

I felt a tap on my shoulder. Allan stood in the doorway with his hands on his hips. “Looks like they’re having fun,” he said, pulling the hallway chair into the room and having a seat.

“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you,” I said, handing him my notepad and crossing my arms.

For a long while, Allan stared at the pages, flipping them back and forth in disbelief. “You’re joking, right?” he asked, pointing at the names I’d circled.

All I could do was shake my head.

“But how?” Allan handed the notepad back and I continued to write.

“It just happened. I don’t know, but I can’t make something that up. It was like her family came rushing back all at once.”

Landon wheeled her around in a circle and headed back towards the window.

            “I think I see a ship,” Mary-ann said, pointing out at the neighboring buildings.

“Let me check.” Landon played at his spyglass again with a grunt. “Skull and crossbones on the banner. It must be Captain Slumpshoulder.” Captain Slumpshoulder, Captain Slumpshoulder, the bird squawked.

Allan leaned over and asked, “Who is that?” a puzzled look drawn across his face.

Snickering, I flipped back a few pages and pointed.

“Captain Allan Slumpshoulder,” he read, letting out an airy laugh. “They just got the whole bunch of us didn’t they.” Shaking his head, he turned back to watch the show.

“Ready the cannons,” Landon shouted turning their ‘ship’ sideways.

“Cannons ready captain,” Mary-ann exclaimed, lowering her voice to sound gruff.

Landon’s breath quickened and he darted back and forth quickly. “Steady. Wait for my call.”

Mary-ann twisted in her chair, sweat dripping from her brow in anticipation.

“Ready. Fire!” Landon ran back to the chair and gave it a nudge, acting as the backfire from the cannons. “Direct hit. We’ve done it lads. Ready yourself to board that pesky ship and save the princess.”

            Paper sword in hand, Landon pretended to fight off an enemy, stabbing him through the heart. “Yield, Captain Slumpshoulder, or be sentenced to walk the plank,” he said, pointing his sword at the wall.

            Mary-ann clear her throat and said, “Take my life if you will, but I will never yield.”

            “So be it. Captain Allan Slumpshoulder, I sentence you to die by the sea. Men, tie him up.” Landon jumped over one of the chairs and knelt down. “Don’t be afraid,” he whispered, reaching out his hand. “Princess Stacey of Angeland, you are safe with me. We will find our treasure and bring you back to your father, the king.”

            “Oh, thank you so much,” Mary-ann said, her voice soft and delicate. “I’ve never met a pirate that was so kind.”

            Landon stood and placed his hand over his heart. “We may be pirates, but we will never prey on the weak.”

            By this time, nurse Benson, nurse Proctor, Dr. Imish and Landon’s mother Sherry, were all standing in the doorway. It was as if the room had transformed. We could smell the salt of the sea, hear the seagulls cawing overhead, the sound of the waves crashing into the boat.

“I found this map captain,” Mary-ann said, holding out her hands.

Landon took the map and examined it. “The location of the treasure is different from

our map to this one,” he said, holding it up to the light of the sun. “When we reach Dark Beard Island, we’ll have to split up.” Landon grabbed the wheelchair and pushed. “Full speed ahead boys,” he shouted, pointing his sword. Full speed ahead. Full speed ahead, croaked Craggy.

The others leapt out of the way as Landon pushed Mary-ann through the door and started down the hallway. Chasing close behind, we watched as they rounded the corner, nearly knocking over a nurse pushing a cart.

As they entered the main lobby, Landon slowed, pulling out his ‘spyglass’ and looking

over at the chairs. “Land hooooo!” he shouted. Land ho! Land ho! “Drop the anchor.”

Mary-ann threw her arms over the side of the chair, making a splashing sound as the anchor hit the water.

“Cook Carol. Guard the prisoner, see that he does not escape.” Landon jumped onto the oval rug in the waiting room. “Lieutenant, take Prince and Luke and follow this map. I will take the others and follow this one. Meet back here before the setting sun, and good luck.”

Landon took off to the left, crawling along the floor. He jumped to his feet, swinging his sword in a paranoid motion, his head jerking back and forth.

Dr. Imish was quick to move, stepping over and gently pushing Mary-ann to the right. She searched the chairs, lifting cushions and setting aside pillows. As they made it to the wall, he turned and brought her back along the coffee tables in the middle of the room. She lifted a magazine, then another, her eyes growing wide and her mouth opening joyfully.

Landon stomped along the floor, ignoring the two-people sitting in the room waiting to be seen. He rummaged under their chairs, then stood, giving them a stern look. The older of the two women returned his stare with even intensity, pulling her bag close and shooting her nose in the air with playful arrogance.

Landon and Mary-ann looked up at the sky. Seeing that the sun was floating behind the distant mountains, they made their way back to where the ship was anchored.

“I found nothing of value on my journey. His map must have been a fake,” Landon complained, throwing his sword on the ground in disgust.

“Captain, his may have been a fake, but ours was not.” Mary-ann pretended to lift something with great weight. “I found this chest, but the lock is too strong for me to open.”

Landon reached down and grabbed his sword. “Well done lieutenant.” He raised the sword high above his head and slammed it back down against the lock. “No lock is too strong for me,” he praised, sheathing the sword in the waistband of his shorts. Reaching forward, he lifted the lid. “You found it! Gold, silver and jewels,” he said with excitement. Craggy squawked suddenly, gold, silver and jewels. Gold, silver and jewels. Jumping forward, Landon throwing his arms around Mary-ann’s neck.

They sailed back into the room, shouts of praise coming from everyone watching.

“That was too much fun,” Mary-ann said, coming to a stop by the window.

 Landon kissed her gently on the cheek and thanked her for being such a great lieutenant. He set his sword and his hat on the windowsill next to Mary-ann’s snow globe and left the room gripping the hand of his mother.


© 2017 S.B. Grace


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

64 Views
Added on September 15, 2017
Last Updated on September 15, 2017


Author

S.B. Grace
S.B. Grace

Earlville, NY



About
Born in Upstate N.Y. Journalism degree from Liberty University. more..

Writing