Chapter 16 - May 5, 2010

Chapter 16 - May 5, 2010

A Chapter by S.B. Grace

“Landon, you need to calm down,” his mother said, holding onto his arms. Landon squirmed, tossing his head in all directions.

            “But I want her to come. They said she could come.” Tears streamed down his face, soaking the collar of his shirt.

            “If she isn’t feeling well, then she needs to stay here and rest.”

            “But it’s my birthday and I want Mama to come with us. She said she would watch me play in the ball pit and hold onto my tickets. We were going to pick out a prize together.” Landon fell into his mother’s arm, his wailing echoing down the hallway.

            “I know baby. But sometimes when people get really sick it’s not safe for them to go outside.”

            “Then I want to stay here.” He pushed her away and bolted around the corner.

        Mary-ann had developed a cough over the last several weeks and nurse Proctor recommended she stay in bed, limiting the time she could spend with visitors. Allan agreed, sitting bedside most days and through the night.

            We heard fists pounding on the door and rushed down the hallway. As we turned the corner, Allan stood overtop a frightened Landon, his finger thrust into Landon’s chest. “You need to leave. She’s not feeling well and with all that noise you’re going to wake her.” Allan turned his head and saw that we were watching. Embarrassed, he went back inside.

            Sherry fell to a knee as Landon walked back, sobbing into her arms. “It’s alright sweetie. Mr. Cauldwell didn’t mean that. He’s just scared. Mary-ann’s not feeling well and he’s just scared.”

            I walked to the room and peered through the small window on the door. Mary-ann was hooked to the respiratory machine, with an oxygen mask on her face and her body tightly wrapped in a blanket. Allan sat beside her, his head laying heavily on her arm. The dim light from a candle cast long shadows across the room.

            My hand hesitated by the handle, my heart pounding anxiously. As I opened the door, Allan’s head shot up. Though dark, I could see that he was crying.

            “I’m only here for a second,” I whispered, taking several steps forward.

            “She’s fading Sal.”

            “What happened?” I asked as I rounded the bed and placed an arm on his shoulder.

            “Her fever worsened a few days ago, and her body hasn’t been able to fight it off. She started having trouble breathing so the doctors said it would be smart for her to rest.” He turned back to Mary-ann and reached up to caress her face.

            “She’ll pull through. I know it. Have you told your family?” I asked.

            “I called Aaron early and he said he would let everyone know.” He shook his head and laid his cheek on the bed. “Now Landon is going to think I hate him.”

            “No, he’ll be fine. Children get over things much easier than we do.” I thought for a moment, flipping through pages in my head of all I had seen over the last two years. “How long has it been since Landon’s seen her?” I asked.

            “Other than the staff here at the hospital, I’m the only one that has been in here in over a week. I didn’t want someone bringing in anything that might make things worse.”

            “I fully support that decision. I’m not saying the kid has special powers, but it is his birthday. Why don’t you let him come in here and just talk to her?”

            Allan picked up his head, dried tears glistening on his cheeks. “I guess that would be alright.”

            Out in the hallway, Landon sat with his back against the wall, a bowl of ice cream in his hands and smudges of vanilla on his nose, lips and chin. Sherry sat beside him, her knees pulled to her chest and her left-hand massaging Landon’s head.

            “Mary-ann wants to see you,” I said as I knelt down beside him. His eyes grew wide and he set the bowl down on the ground. “Wait,” I said, holding up my hand. “She is very ill and she is still trying to rest but she said she wants you to tell her a story. Or talk about all the things you know because it will help her to feel better.”

            “I can do that. I can talk about a lot of things.” Landon jumped to his feet and marched to Mary-ann’s room, pausing in the doorway. Walking behind him, I saw Allan standing by the bed looking down at his wife.

            Allan looked up and motioned for Landon to enter. He walked around the bed and place a gentle hand on Landon’s head. “I’m sorry little guy. I didn’t mean to scare you.” He pulled him in and squeezed, planting a kiss on his forehead.

            Allan and I sat by the door, a place we often found ourselves when at the hospital, watching what seemed like magic swirl around the room.

            “Mary-ann,” Landon whispered as he approached the bed. “Mama. You go ahead and get some rest alright. Did you know that the average adult needs between seven and nine hours of sleep per night to perform well? I’m not sure why they don’t just say eight hours, that is between the numbers of seven and nine.” Landon shrugged his shoulders, inching closer to the bed and resting his tiny hand on hers.

            Allan and I exchanged glances, the faintest smile touching his lips.

            “But did you know that when you’re asleep, your body is fighting some of the bad things inside you. So, when you’re sick you need more rest.” Landon slowly climbed onto the bed, sandwiching himself between Mary-ann and the railing, laying his head on her shoulder.

            Allan tensed, fidgeting in his seat.

            Leaning over, I whispered, “Let’s just see what happens.”

            Landon wiggle next to her, then closed his eyes. “I’m ten today. You probably don’t remember but I told you it was my birthday. We were supposed to go to Chucky Cheese and play games together. We were going to see if they had any snow globes there so I could have one that matched yours. But you’re not feeling well, and you know what, that’s okay. I can wait and when you get better we can go.”

            Soon their breath rose and fell in unison.

            “Salvador said I should tell you story.” Landon turned on his side, draping his hand over her waist. “There once was a little girl who lived in a faraway land. She had long black hair that she tied into a braid and it hung over her shoulder like a snake. Her name was Abigail, but everyone else called her The Witch of the Wood.”’          

            “Her parents abandoned her as a little girl because she had one blue eye and one green eye. There was a prophecy telling of a child bearing this feature that would be the darkness of the world. She survived off the waters of the Yie River and plants and berries she found amongst the trees.”

            “It’s hard to believe he’s only ten years old,” Allan whispered, his face stretched in disbelief.

            “I know. This kid could be president one day,” I said, making a note of the light flickering through the blinds.

            “On her sixteenth birthday, Abigail ventured back into her village. You see, the prophecy said the darkness would come before she became a woman. When she returned, her village was empty and smoke rose where there had once been straw homes.” Landon yawned. “She found and old man dying by a tree who told her the king sent men…” he yawned again, his voice fading with each word. “The king…”

            As his mouth closed we could hear the gentle roll of air as it passed through his nose.

            “I supposed we can leave them be for now,” Allan said as he struggled to his feet. “Captain Slumpshoulder could use a cup of coffee.” He looked back at me and smiled.

            “I hope you’re not upset with me,” Allan said to Sherry who was standing by the front desk. “I overreacted. I know he cares for her very much.”

            “Of course not. We share the same fears. Some days when Landon is connected to all the equipment, I worry it will be the last time I ever see him alive.” Sherry gave Allan a hug. “Are they alright in there?” she asked.

            “Yes, they’re fine. He fell asleep telling her a story.”

            A thin line drew across her lips. “That sounds like Landon. The only time he’s not talking is when he’s asleep. As a matter-of-fact, that’s not true. He’s told a story or two in his sleep as well.”

            Allan nodded his head in understanding. “You’ve got a great kid. He’s going to make a difference in this world, just like my Mary-ann. It’s so ironic that they found each other.”

            “I’ll take healthy for now. We can talk about changing the world once we’ve dealt with that.” A buzzer went off on Sherry’s wrist. “I guess I can get a few hours of overtime since we won’t be taking Landon out tonight. That is if you’re okay with leaving him in there?”

            “Yes, of course. He’ll be fine. Sal and I are going to grab a cup of coffee.”

            “Alright. I’ll be back up in a few hours. Thanks again, he really needed this.”

            “As did she,” Allan said, waving as Sherry left.

 

<>

 

            “You won’t believe this,” Allan said the following afternoon.

            I sat in my office making edits on a transit piece I had been working on, and shut my computer. “What’s going on?”

            “I came in this morning to check on Mary-ann and she was sitting in the hallway with Landon playing go fish. I heard her laugh from down the hallway. This kid’s an angel sent from heaven.”

            “I’m starting to believe that myself,” I said, scribbling a few notes.

            “Join us tonight at five for Landon’s birthday dinner.”

            “Chuck E Cheese,” I said sarcastically. “Can’t say I’ve ever stepped foot in that place, but when Landon and Mary-ann are together, amazing things happen. I’ll see you there.”

             By the time four-thirty rolled around, I was knee deep in edits and needed a break. Collecting my things, I raced down the stairs and caught the train north.

            A giant mouse greeted me at the door with a smile, and a hug, which was rather unwanted on my part. But, I smiled, feeling sorry for the person stuck inside and walked to the table.

Landon sat at the edge of the booth, with Mary-ann on the end in her wheelchair. His cheeks were covered in red sauce as he stuffed pizza into his mouth. Allan helped Mary-ann eat, patiently holding the fork in front of her lips.

            “Hello Salvador,” Landon said with his mouth full.

            I waved, then removed my jacket and sat in the booth next to them across from Aaron, who I was surprised to see was there.

            “Allan didn’t say you were coming,” I said, reaching out to shake his hand.

            “I wasn’t planning on it, but my wife decided she wanted to go to a show tonight with some of her girlfriends.” He wiped his face with a napkin. “Rather than sit at home alone--” he said with a shrug.

            “I’m glad you did. Landon and your mother have really gotten on well.” I took a plate from the table and served myself.

            “Yeah, my father told me. ‘Angel from heaven,’ he keeps saying.” Aaron shook his head in disbelief.

            “Don’t doubt it quite yet,” I said with a smile, taking a bite of my pizza.

“Are you ready?” Landon said, sliding from his seat. His mother was quick to wipe his hands and face and it was a clear reminder that he was still, only ten years old.

Mary-ann turned to Allan, her eyes like that of a child asking their parent if they could be

excused from the table. Her brittle hands quivered as she took one of Allan’s in hers. “Thank you,” she whispered.

Allan leaned forward and planted a kiss on her cheek, then turned to Landon and smiled. “She’s all yours little man.”

            Landon pulled the sleeves of his three quarter, black and white t-shirt up to his elbows, and adjust his hat before heading toward the ball pit. He weaved Mary-ann in and out of games, their lights flashing and voices calling out for them to play. Landon struggle for a moment to lock her wheels, then, taking a few steps back, he sprinted forward, landing belly first into the rainbow.

            We could hear Mary-ann’s laugh amidst the games, her head rolling back and forth with joy.

            Aaron’s expression shifted away from doubt, the corners of his lips twitching, making small divots in his cheeks.

            Landon burst up through the balls, his mouth wide, screeching like a ferocious animal. “I wish you could jump in with me,” he said, trudging back over to the edge. “Did you know that these used to be called a, ball crawl. A guy name Eric McMillan invented them in the 1970s. He said that the traditional playground was more like a graveyard and that adults had forgotten how to have fun.” He tossed a ball into Mary-ann’s lap.

            “What is this?” she asked, holding it in her hand.

            “Duh, it’s a ball,” he said as he climbed out. “You hold onto that, it will be good luck when we play the games.”

            We all watch for the next hour as the two went from game to game. Landon danced in circles around her chair, stashing the tickets he’d win on her lap next to their lucky ball. Mary-ann would cheer him on, chanting his name and moving her body as she’d watch balls drop, and machines push, hoping to win the jackpot.

            Out of coins and panting with joy, Landon pushed her back to the table holding a piece of paper.

            “What do you have there?” Sherry asked. Landon handed her the paper and sat, taking a huge gulp of soda. “Fourteen thousand two-hundred and six tickets,” she said, her eyes growing wide.

            “Yup. I told you it was a lucky ball, Mama. Now we need to go see what prizes they have.” Landon snatched the ticket out of his mother’s hand, hoped to his feet and pushed Mary-ann to the back corner of the building.

            Large, stuffed animals hung from the wall next to remote controlled cars; lava lamps next to sling shots and bouncy balls next to tiny pieces of candy. A tall man with light brown hair stood behind the counter holding a stick with a hook at the end.

            “Do you have your slip?” he asked, holding out his hand.

            Landon gave it to him and leaned on the glass, looking at all the prizes. “Do you have any snow globes?” Landon asked.

            “That’s not much of a toy. We have an RC car, a balloon hammer.” He walked to the end of the counter. “We also have this cool transformer. It goes from car, to robot, to boxing glove.”

            Landon stared at him with a blank expression. “But do you have any snow globes?”

            Confused, the man slid one of the doors of the counter and pulled out a snow globe half the size of Mary-ann’s. “Eight thousand. It’s not really worth the tickets buddy. You’re better off going with--”

            “I’ll take it. And four of those candies and the sticky hand thing,” he said, pointed through the glass.

            With a shrug, the man dropped the prizes into the bag and handed it to Landon.

            “Look!” Landon shouted as he returned. “It’s just like Mary-ann’s, only smaller.” He shook the snow globe and watched with wonder as the snow fell around the city scape.

            Aaron nudged me on the arm and said, “I wish the rest of my family were here to see this. We haven’t seen her smile like that in almost a year. The kid really is something special.”

            Smiling, I turned back as Landon fell softly into Mary-ann’s lap, giggling as she poked at his sides.

            “You’re going to make me pee,” Landon shouted. He rolled onto the floor trying to catch his breath. As he stood, he narrowed his brow and stuck his tongue out at Mary-ann.

            “You’d better watch it or that thing is going to be mine,” she snickered, opening and closing her hand like a claw.

            Landon giggled. He walked to the table and upended the contents of the bag. “Look what we got,” he said, spreading them around. “Do you want a piece of candy? I got one for each of us.”

            Mary-ann shook her head and said, “No sweetheart, you can have them both.”

            Excited, Landon stuffed one into his mouth and the other into his pocket.

            “It’s starting to get late,” Sherry said, pushing all the plates to the center of the table. “I’m going to go ask for a box for the leftover pizza.”

            “What about the cake?” Landon asked as she stepped out of the booth.

            “Cake and presents back at the hospital remember,” Michael said.

            It was odd because it was the first time I had heard him speak. His voice was soft and airy, the ends of his words drifting to nothing.

            “Oh yeah, now I remember.” Landon shook the snow globe and set it back down on the table.

            I watched as Mary-ann’s eyes floated away from the flashing lights and landed on the falling flecks of snow. It was as if her world had fallen still and sound longer existed. It was just her and a sense of weightlessness. I wondered then what it felt like, to be absent amidst a chaotic world.

            “This was nice.” Aaron said.

            “I’m sure your brothers and sisters will be happy to hear how the night went.”

            “Absolutely. I’ve sent a few pictures throughout the evening already.” Aaron stood and shook my hand before saying happy birthday and hugging Mary-ann and Allan. Landon waved happily, his toy sticky hand, stuck to his cheek as Aaron walked away.

            “Alright everyone, we’ll meet you back at the hospital for desert and gifts,” Sherry said as she closed the pizza box.

            After helping Mary-ann into Allan’s car, I pulled him to the side. “I’d love to head back with you, but unfortunately work is piling up on my desk as we speak. Give this to Landon for me, would you?” I said, handing him a small gift bag. “It’s not much, but I hope he likes it.”

            As I walked back to the train station, I wondered what his reaction would be as he read the title of the book I had gotten him. A Thousand Things to Know for No Reason. The book of facts he was, I imagined he would like it very much.


© 2017 S.B. Grace


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

65 Views
Added on September 15, 2017
Last Updated on September 15, 2017


Author

S.B. Grace
S.B. Grace

Earlville, NY



About
Born in Upstate N.Y. Journalism degree from Liberty University. more..

Writing