Unknown Origins

Unknown Origins

A Poem by LSS
"

Struggling with Free Verse, I mean to set it right.

"

 

If Diction isn’t ary

          Then I’m a Lexicon.

I haven’t any Marry,

          Or Wed, or Hitched, or Bond.

My problem is The Saures,

          I cannot make it out.

Am I a whit less Larry,

          Or Ted, or Mitch, or Ron?
 
 

If Diction isn’t ary

          Then I’m a Lexicon.

I haven’t any Marry,

          Or Wed, or Hitched, or Bond.

My problem is The Saures,

          I cannot make it out.

Am I a whit less Larry,

          Or Ted, or Mitch, or Sara?
 
 

          There’s a tome in my house that for years was left unopened. My children were afraid that out of its yellowing pages there lurked some previously unknown monster, “Intelligence’. We used to play games with the ‘Funk and Waggoner’ –

 
“Lets See What’s In the W’s?”
 

          All to no avail. The boys would get stuck on ‘War’, and the girls on ‘Wedding’. Each one would insist that their view was right. There was no mediation, no midnight tours of the ‘White House’ for visiting diplomats, just hard work on the part of the kitchen staff (I’m dishes)…

 

          Excuse me, I’m back. My neighbor’s kid, Mary keeps knocking on my door, She wants to know if she can play outside with my three boys, Theodore, Ronald, and Richard. But we, of course, are not done with our game.

Larry

© 2008 LSS


Author's Note

LSS
I had good advise to practice some different approaches to my writing problem. I thought a composite compilation might express and expose my humorous bent to laugh at myself as I grow.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I like the all overness of this while still keeping to the underlying theme. Glad to see you are working on it. It is coming along nicely. :) Oh, I sent you something in free verse to help show you how powerful something can be without the rhyme or being lengthy for that matter. Hope you like it. Keep 'em coming.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

'Unknown Origins'
LSS,
Between your kids involved in looking up words: "boys- war and girls- wedding it was fun to imagine the use of the English language and it's slang. Confusing but challenging when words can sometimes have different meanings for the same word or sound the same but are spelled different. You did a nice job with free verse.
Blessings,
Kathy

Posted 5 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
T
JUST what are we gonna do with you???? keep going I likes!!!:)t

Posted 15 Years Ago


I like the all overness of this while still keeping to the underlying theme. Glad to see you are working on it. It is coming along nicely. :) Oh, I sent you something in free verse to help show you how powerful something can be without the rhyme or being lengthy for that matter. Hope you like it. Keep 'em coming.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 19, 2008
Last Updated on July 19, 2008

Author

LSS
LSS

Syracuse, NY



About
Some time ago, I decided to write a humorous short story to give my wife on our 25th anniversary. The words and illustrations seemed to flow from my memory and imagination, about those early days w.. more..

Writing
Who Am I? Who Am I?

A Poem by LSS



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..