Life

Life

A Poem by ShaneBerry
"

Here then gone, Like the gentle Swan.

"
Life
How Transient it is,
Like the edge of  a knife,
Here then gone, 
Like the gentle Swan,
And dark, as satins’ spawn.
  An epic tail,
Or a long unraveled trail.
No one the same,
And not one reclaimed.
When started 
It cannot be stopped.
When stopped,
It cannot be restarted.
all the hell and terrible strife,
Is a costly price,
The price, for life.

© 2010 ShaneBerry


Author's Note

ShaneBerry
well? i have gone on o poetry frenzy tonight lol.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You have captured quite forensically and clinically all the beautifully mysterious but shocking qualities of the subject in such short, brutal, yet savagely accurate words. A work of art in concision and meaning. These poems you have created may be short but deal with grand subjects on a very grand and eloquent scale.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Reviews

Again, an interesting poem and selective perspective on what Life is. Once again, not a fan of the color change but it's your poem and your artistic choices that make the poem it's own. I liked the line "And dark, as satins' spawn" although I'm not so sure on the position of that apostrophe. And the line "Like the edge of a knife" I was wondering if that extra space between of and a was purposeful? Also the lines "I cannot be stopped / When stopped" it's a little contradictory, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But obviously life can always be stopped no matter when it's started and can be stopped even before it's started. So that was the only part of the poem I disagreed with. Otherwise, wonderful imagery, good rhythm and flow.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Huh. What can I possibly say to this that hasn't already been said? I agree with all the other reviewers. There's no point in even trying to offer any kind of constructive criticism simply because it's almost flawless.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I liked the flow, as well as the concept.
Abstract, surreal start.
And a realist end.

Although forgive moi, but I couldn't understand the use of spaces for "An epic tail," as well as the third last line.

A nice read. Thank Devons for sending me this.

Regards
Ishan

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great job again! You use symbolic images really well in your poems. A nic, poetic approch to things like life, time, and space. Maybe one on love? lol. Great write, though, and so true.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is almost sterile, I LOVE it!
Life is a spiral at times, ebbing and flowing out of control! You have captured that well here!
xx

Posted 13 Years Ago


interesting write of what life can be or what it is; of what we can make it or just accept...the price or the freedoms of life.

Posted 13 Years Ago


"Life is long and hard and seemingly there is no end."
Ugh, how I wish this were true of most things.

This is really good, though. My favorite lines were, "No one the same... reclaimed." It has an excellent rhyme and is very true in a somber way. I dig it. :P

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow, I am not just saying this, but I LOVED this poem. This is an issue that is so difficult to deal with for all us humans. Life is long and hard and seemingly there is no end. But then at the same time life is wonderful and an exciting journey that must come to an end. Our mortality is so awesome yet so disturbing and you summed it up very well!

Two parts there I thought were brilliant in being able to sum up this troublesome duality to life were.....


Here then gone,
Like the gentle Swan,
And dark, as satins’ spawn.

I really gets at the problem with our wonderful blessing of life and the terrifying reality that it will eventually end......


When started
It cannot be stopped.
When stopped,
It cannot be restarted.


This line is just plain awesome. Too sum this concept up with such a short/powerful/to the point poem was really a joy to read! keep it up my friend!

Posted 13 Years Ago


when started it can't be stopped and vice versa .. loved this part !!

just a doubt shouldn't it be 'an epic tale' rather than 'tail' ?

Posted 13 Years Ago


A very interesting piece. Deep and meaningful. The only thing that stood out for me what the line, "When started, it cannot be stopped." because a life started could very well stop at any given time. Otherwise, it read smoothly and I liked it.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

870 Views
36 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 5, 2010
Last Updated on June 5, 2010

Author

ShaneBerry
ShaneBerry

denton, TX



About
My Chemical Romance “The Ghost of You” Name: Shane Douglas Berry Age: Born on 8/4/1992 Hair color: Brown Eye color: Green Skin color: White, Freckled Tattoos: Oroborus (red, center.. more..

Writing
Original Original

A Poem by ShaneBerry



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..