Butterfly and Scorpion Part One

Butterfly and Scorpion Part One

A Story by shawneemckee
"

A fantasy short story of the adventures of a tribe of animal worshipers.

"

Once upon a time there was a girl in a very beautiful kingdom. A child of only seventeen, she eagerly awaited her entrance into adulthood, in a couple of days. Her name was Butterfly, and very much like the insect, she spent her time fluttering around, mimicking the movements of a butterfly. She wore a bright, colorful woven cloth that she wrapped around her arms and spread across her back, very much like wings.

            You see, in this mystical land, the natives believed that if you can totally master the skills and styles of an animal, you will be granted entrance into the eternal land of Nature, after death. Thus, Butterfly was given her animal at birth, by the kingdom elders and approved by her parents. Her father, Lion, was one of the fiercest warriors of the kingdom. He mimicked the lions so well; he hunted daily and ate the raw meat of animals. Butterfly knew he would be granted into the lovely land of Nature. Her mother, Mantis, usually spent her time doing something she called “yoga” and liked to hum very loudly. Butterfly had a funny feeling about her mother; something about her seemed different from everyone else, like she had a secret that she didn’t want to share.

            On this especially sunny day, Butterfly decided to practice her dances, so that she can pass her Animal Likeness Test for her birthday. This will ensure that she will become an adult and be able to marry, maybe someday have children of her own. She adores children and she hoped that the elders will allow her help out at the children’s school or care-home, when she becomes of-age to work at twenty-one. As she gracefully moved across the landscape, jumping off rocks and flapping her arms, she noticed that she wasn’t alone in this practice realm. Realms were used to practice animal behaviors in peace and privacy, it was forbidden to practice in the home or in public.

            Butterfly stopped her dances and walked toward the dark-clad figure sitting on a rock, facing the opposite direction. As she got nearer, the temperature seemed to go from the lightly warm breezes of spring to the arid and hot feeling of summer. Each realm is personalized for each animal, but Butterfly soon realized she wasn’t in her realm any more. She turned around to notice the pretty green grass and flowers fizzle out and turn to yellow sand, almost like a fire ate it alive.

As she turned back towards the figure sitting on the rock, he had already sensed her presence and stared curiously in her direction. A little nervous and bashful, Butterfly walked slowly towards the man, who seemed to be in his late twenties. She waved and smiled, trying to act like this was a normal occurrence, but the man wasn’t convinced. His look of confusion and a hint of curiously seemed to calm her nerves; she knew exactly what to say. Nearing the rock, finally, Butterfly kneeled down in front of him and said, “I’m sorry, but it seems that our realms have mixed together somehow. I was in a pretty field of flowers, warmth, and happiness. As I was practicing my animal, I saw you in the distance and walked to you, and as I walked nearer, my realm seemed to burn up and shrivel away, turning into this desert.

The man smiled and nodded, understanding, “So that’s how you got here,” he replied, “This is going to sound rather silly, but I've been waiting for you. The elders tell all of us men that one day, when we reach a certain place in our practices; a girl will find us in our realm. She will either become our bride, or if not, we will both live in chastity and singularity forever.”

Butterfly was rather confused, but elated to hear that she has finally met her future husband, if he so chose to marry her. There is always a choice in the kingdom, but the alternative isn't always a pleasant one. Her curiosity piqued, she decided to ask: “So, what is your name and animal? I am a butterfly.” She stood cautiously, as not to trip over the rocks, and decided to bow and flap her usual greeting of introduction.

The man smiled and clapped, “Nice to meet you Butterfly, what a beautiful name and animal, it suits you quite well. I am Scorpion.” Emulating pincers with one hand, Scorpion raised his other high into the air, and threw his other hand into a downward angle, emulating the stinger. “Now that we have been formally introduced, I think we need to go tell everyone the good news.”

Butterfly nodded and giggled with excitement, “I think you’re right. Let’s go!” The wind began picking up, instantly filling butterfly with a sense of safety and comfort. Closing her eyes, she totally embraced the movement. She’s felt this familiar transporting method ever since she was old enough to practice her animal, at the age of five. Once the wind stopped, Butterfly opened her eyes….

© 2013 shawneemckee


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
Added on April 10, 2013
Last Updated on April 10, 2013
Tags: animal worship, romance, fantasy

Author

shawneemckee
shawneemckee

Auburn, AL



About
I'm currently attending secondary school to someday become a paralegal. I write during my free time and I really enjoy the subject. more..

Writing