Christmas Conspiracy

Christmas Conspiracy

A Story by shawneemckee

Every year, on December 25, children wake up and run to their parents’ bedrooms, waking them up and begging to open presents. Does anyone remember the real reason for Christmas? Is it the gifts under the tree or the lights and decorations in your yard? I don’t think so. What the general public doesn’t know is that Christmas is a marketing scam created by greedy politicians and rich business owners. Their scheme plays on the children’s naivety and causes them to become greedy, very much like the politicians and businessmen are themselves.

            Isn’t Christmas supposed to be about the simple things in life, such as spending time with family, eating a home cooked meal, and just enjoying life as it is? Yes. But the greedy ones don’t want us to live happily, oh no, they want us to become addicted to spending money on various unnecessary things, such as toys and gifts, to line their own pockets so that they can pay for their own greedy things, such as expensive cars and million dollar homes. If I had it my way, I would make someone a homemade gift, such as my own writing, poetry, a handmade Christmas card, cookies, or maybe even pictures of the kids. Isn’t that what Christmas is all about, putting effort and love into a gift, instead of throwing random things into the shopping cart and wrapping them carelessly?

Personally, I think that’s just the easy way out, buying premade gifts. What people don’t understand is that a handmade or homemade gift is something to be APPRECIATED, not to be tossed aside and forgotten. The love, care, and time that goes into making such a gift deserves some thank and acknowledgement. I can say that I’m an offender when it comes to the “easy way out” myself, mostly because I didn’t have the time to homemade gifts and honestly, last time I gave my family a homemade gift, it wasn’t accepted like I’d hoped it was. Maybe the greed has rubbed off on everyone after all. I’ll say, with the way Christmas is portrayed and perceived by the American public, I don’t feel like we have a REAL Christmas anymore.

Sometimes I wish I could really experience a real Christmas, like families did before the commercialization of everything. Honestly, I was thinking of something to purchase for my husband and I can honestly say that I couldn’t find anything (for sale) that “fit” either the way I felt about him or something that portrayed him the way I remember him to be. Therefore, I decided to buy him a little something (so I can wrap it) and then make him a gift somehow. I’m brainstorming right now of something to do. Of course he’ll get it when he gets home, which will be after December 25th, but who says that the Spirit of Christmas has to die on the 26th of December? I say that the Spirit only shows up when a family is whole and together, therefore it won’t be Christmas, officially, until my husband is home and my family is whole again. Merry Christmas everyone!

© 2013 shawneemckee


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

127 Views
Added on April 10, 2013
Last Updated on April 10, 2013

Author

shawneemckee
shawneemckee

Auburn, AL



About
I'm currently attending secondary school to someday become a paralegal. I write during my free time and I really enjoy the subject. more..

Writing