Butterfly and Scorpion Part Two

Butterfly and Scorpion Part Two

A Story by shawneemckee
"

The continuing fantasy romance between Butterfly and Scorpion

"

“For there is nothing greater than the love I share with you.”

 

            As Butterfly opened her eyes, she felt her hand loosen its grip with Scorpion’s tightly clenched fist. She thought to herself, “I guess some people never get used to the transport from the realms.” Giggling slightly, but not wanting to give away her reason, Butterfly turned her face away from Scorpion’s, waiting on him to recover from the whooshing sound still ringing in their ears.

The view of the landscape in front of them was impeccable: green grassy plains, random patches of colorful flowers, and the large marble walls that kept the kingdom safe. Butterfly always thought that right here, outside the gates, is the closest to Nature that she will ever get. Little did she know, her curiosity would be sated and she will know the truth of the afterlife.

Scorpion placed a hand on her shoulder, beckoning her to walk towards the front gate, into the kingdom and safe from any wild beasts or other dangers. As they walked inside, the crowd in the streets erupted in applause and noise. Everyone knew that when a couple returns from a realm, walking hand in hand, they are destined to be married.

The road to the castle was made particularly for the walk that all couples would take, lined in gold and made with the most beautiful white bricks. The kingdom’s name was Vestavia, after the first family that inhabited it. According to legend, a group of animals decided that they didn’t want to be animals any more, and decided to create a new race, called humans. Over time, the humans realized how flawed they really were and envied the animals who were wild and free, therefore they begun the current culture of animal behaviors.

As they walked up the beautiful path to the palace, the crowd lined the streets, to greet and cheer for the new couple to be married. Butterfly was rather shy and hid her face behind Scorpions shoulders the best she could. Scorpion, on the other hand, embraced the crowd, in a very easy-going manner, waving and smiling at the ones he knew among the crowd. As they neared the front of the palace, the gate doors swung open automatically, controlled by an older gentleman guard whose animal is a bird. The gate crank was high above the air and every boy who comes of working age whose animal is a bird or flying animal, becomes the gate guard when the old one retires.

Inside the gates, the couple walked up to the standing place in front of the two thrones of the king and queen. Behind the thrones were the most beautiful window art in Vestavia, beautiful colors and scenes from all the best Vestavian legends. The only time anyone sees the inside of the palace is either if they work there, or when they get married. Butterfly and Scorpion were no exception. Both marveled at the colors and beauty of the room, especially Butterfly. The queen stood up and snapped her fingers, royally. The couple bowed in front of the thrones and stayed until the king rose and snapped his fingers in greeting. This was the custom and to be expected.

The couple rose together and joined hands, waiting on the king and queen to consummate the marriage with the customary tradition. The king bent over, cupping his hands and scooping something seemingly invisible off the ground. Turning in a circle ceremonially, he threw his closed hand at Scorpion, causing a small, human-size tornado to collide with Scorpion, causing him to disappear with a flash of light and air. Butterfly couldn’t move, which really scared her. The queen took her turn to cup her hands and seemingly grab the air, spinning like the king, and throwing a tornado at Butterfly as well. Butterfly flinched when the tornado made its way toward her, but as it touched her, she felt the same familiar feeling of leaving a realm, and was comforted.

When she opened her eyes, she saw that she was in her realm, but she also saw that Scorpion was in his realm as well, in the distance. She noticed that the border between the two realms was basically a bridge over a small stream of water, barely big enough to do anything. She walked towards the bridge, wondering if she would see Scorpion and whether or not there will be a real wedding.

As she crossed the bridge, she felt a small force field in front of her, holding her back. Sulking, she turned around and started walking back toward her realm, until she felt a hand on her shoulder. Scorpion pulled Butterfly into his embrace and his lips met hers, barely touching, tenderly. She will always remember for the rest of her life, the feeling of this first kiss. Feeling the wind whip around her, the usual sign of leaving the realm, Butterfly was even more confused than before. As they materialized and stood still kissing and embracing in the throne room, a loud uproar and mass cheering greeted them, startling Butterfly to break away from the kiss. Scorpion smiled and never took his eyes off Butterfly, his new bride.

Butterfly blushed from the attention and under the stare of her new husband. They held hands again, this time walking down the white brick path again, making their way to the new home among the others, buildings made of marble and limestone. As they neared the front door to the new home, Scorpion picked up Butterfly, in the style of newlyweds, and walked inside…

© 2013 shawneemckee


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
Added on April 10, 2013
Last Updated on April 10, 2013
Tags: romance, scorpion, butterfly, fantasy

Author

shawneemckee
shawneemckee

Auburn, AL



About
I'm currently attending secondary school to someday become a paralegal. I write during my free time and I really enjoy the subject. more..

Writing