America the Beautiful

America the Beautiful

A Story by Shelley Warner
"

Reflections

"

One Fourth of July weekend, I actually teared up while singing America the Beautiful in church. I have to explain�"I’ve grown a little disillusioned with America’s glory over the years. History doesn’t seem to match the honor that is often given to our country. So what touched me about this song? Here are a few portions that spoke to me:

“O beautiful for heroes proved

In liberating strife.

Who more than self their country loved

And mercy more than life!”

I thought of Harvey Harris when I sang those words. We met at church when he was seventeen and I was fifteen and bonded over our new faith and future aspirations. Plus he was cute with his sandy colored hair and plaid shirt that he wore over a t-shirt. To make a long and sad story brief, time passed and he went through a discouraging time in his life; during which he got himself in trouble. The judge involved offered him an alternative to juvenile detention: join the army. That was Harvey’s death sentence. When he was nineteen and I was seventeen, he was killed in Viet Nam. He was a victim. Yet, he did believe in what he was doing and he believed that he was helping his country. So he was a hero.

“America! America!

God mend thine every flaw;

Confirm thy soul in self-control”

At these words, I thought about our history of glaring flaws:

· A history of injustice toward Native Americans

· A history of slavery

· A history of racial abuse

Yet throughout this history, there have been those who acted on the behalf of the oppressed. The Quakers stood in contrast with neighboring colonies’ policies toward the Native Americans, believing that they should pay the natives for lands they wished to use. They were also vocal and active abolitionists.

Others answered the call for mercy. The Freedmen’s Bureau was set up to aid the blacks after emancipation. Hospitals, schools, colleges, and health care clinics were established. And later in our racial history, President John F. Kennedy backed up students who took a stand against segregation. And President Lyndon B. Johnson, in his desire for a Great Society, worked on behalf of the poor, the minorities, and the oppressed.

My husband, who was a pastor in his lifetime, use to say that the Kingdom of God grew alongside the Kingdom of Darkness. It’s like saying that good and evil exist simultaneously. In the midst of injustice and oppression in our country, good has been happening. May God continue to mend our every flaw.

“America! America!
May God thy gold refine
Till all success be nobleness
And every gain divine!”

At the time of my reflection on this song, a “businessman” used his personal wealth to work his way to the top. Yes, a lot of elections involve tons of contributions from corporations and individuals. In addition, lobbyists have too much power. This particular person, however, bragged about his money and his financial success, declaring that he was paying for his campaign. People were impressed by this�"despite evidence of dishonesty in his business dealings. He is not the only one at fault however; our culture often bases success on monetary gains. May God refine us. May our successes be our ethics. May our gains be divine.

As I conclude my thoughts, I decide to have hope. I realize that whatever is the political climate of the time that we find ourselves in, all hope is not lost. Light grows alongside darkness. The good done in this generation will positively affect future generations. Nobleness will not be lost. Hope and mercy survive.

© 2021 Shelley Warner


Author's Note

Shelley Warner
Something to think about this Fourth of July weekend

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Thank you, Shelly, for sharing this heartfelt story about a song that speaks to the greater aspirations of a Nation. We may falter, and stumble at times. We may suffer wounds of our own makings, and that of outside influence. And we may often fail to live up to the content of our character. But as a Nation and symbol to the world we will rise up and be better. We will live stronger in hope and foundation from those whose lives were given to establish these greater aspirations. And though we bear wounds and scars of our failings, we will shine more beautiful to reflect our diverse nature and common brotherhood. And it is in these things and many ideas which define America and show her divine grace in the eyes that seek her hope, her beacon, and her home.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you for your uplifting words Carlos Estrada. Happy Fourth of July.



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
wtp
Thank you for sharing this thoughtful essay.

Recognition of our flaws and failures as a country and a people does not conflict with pride in our many accomplishments and reverence for the sacrifices required to achieve them. Our forefathers were complicated and imperfect people which makes their accomplishments all the more remarkable in my mind. We do them and our country a disservice when we pretend otherwise.

I recently visited Monticello and spent a wonderful 2.5 hours with one of their tour guides, where we explored many facets of Thomas Jefferson's life. One can - I daresay should - admire the prodigious intellect and commitment to principles (like freedom of religion) that continue to guide us while recognizing his moral failures and inconsistencies (like Sally Hemings and slavery in general).

We can also recognize the sacrifices of the multitude of Harvey Harrises that gave life and limb for this country, even if it was a conflict or a cause we personally would not have chosen. Their bravery and sacrifice is not lessened by the politics surrounding the war.

Only by accepting the compatability of patriotism and an unvarnished view of history can we build upon our successes and address our failures, sustaining and strengthening our nation.

Happy Fourth of July!

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Yes, we have to accept the conflicting history. Thanks for your thoughtful review.
This is the best thing I've read on this July 4th morning. Just as we may love a troubled son or daughter, we can also love a flawed, troubled America. I think your husband is right about opposite kingdoms growing next to one another.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you Samuel Dickens, I really appreciate your words.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
Hi, enjoyed reading your thoughts and reflections. Regarding your " a little narcissistic" we all write about our experiences, lives, in fact the last 2+ years have had me posting quite a bit of "stuff" which relates to my old mum's passing, grief it seems is a much better writing partners than any other emotion :)
I hope you are enjoying the 4th.


Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Yes, grief is a real inspiration for our writing, isn't it. I'll read your writings.
Thank you, Shelly, for sharing this heartfelt story about a song that speaks to the greater aspirations of a Nation. We may falter, and stumble at times. We may suffer wounds of our own makings, and that of outside influence. And we may often fail to live up to the content of our character. But as a Nation and symbol to the world we will rise up and be better. We will live stronger in hope and foundation from those whose lives were given to establish these greater aspirations. And though we bear wounds and scars of our failings, we will shine more beautiful to reflect our diverse nature and common brotherhood. And it is in these things and many ideas which define America and show her divine grace in the eyes that seek her hope, her beacon, and her home.

Posted 2 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you for your uplifting words Carlos Estrada. Happy Fourth of July.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 3, 2021
Last Updated on July 3, 2021

Author

Shelley Warner
Shelley Warner

Camas, WA



About
I like to write about my life. Sounds a little narcissistic, right? But it's the challenges, the griefs, the joys, the faith struggles, and the enjoyment of nature that inspires me. I have published t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Escape Escape

A Poem by Chris Shaw


Things Inside Things Inside

A Poem by Pete