Thinking of Flowers

Thinking of Flowers

A Story by Shelley Warner
"

In October 2021

"

It is autumn and I read Longfellow’s words in his poem Flowers:


Not alone in spring’s armorial bearing,

And in summer’s green-emblazoned field,

But in arms of brave old autumn’s wearing,

In the center of his blazen shield


Yes, flowers are not just for spring or summer. In autumn, sunflowers beckon to the blue jays with their full heads of seed. And yesterday, outside the doctor’s window, where I sat with my grandson (no covid, but bronchitis), a hummingbird landed on delicate pink blossoms of a flowering bush that swayed in the wind.  And on my neighborhood walks, I see reds and golds still displaying their colors, amid pumpkins and Halloween yard decorations.


I remember a single red rose that bloomed in my yard on the day my father died more than forty years ago. I picked that rose and placed it by his coffin on the day of his memorial service; and the church choir came out and sang “Jesus Will be What Makes it Heaven for Me”, a song he’d been teaching them.

 

When I think of flowers, I also think of the words of Peter, Paul, and Mary:


Where have all the flowers gone

Long time passing

Where have all the flowers gone

Long time ago


The song goes on to ask “where have all the soldiers gone,” and answers “ gone to graveyards every one”.  The young girls had picked the flowers for their beloved soldiers. “When will they ever learn?” the refrain asks again and again. These words bring to mind Harvey, my true love when I was seventeen. He was a young soldier in Vietnam and he had gone to the graveyard.


That was decades ago. I have loved again and lost again and now love again. But how many girls still pick flowers for the graves of their boyfriends and husbands? I know a young couple, just starting life together as a military couple. I hope it doesn’t happen that way for them.


So flowers are beauty and joy. And flowers are sadness. Flowers are memories. Flowers are spring and summer. And flowers are autumn too.

 

© 2021 Shelley Warner


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I remember the song well; the cycle of life and death, beauty and war. I just got a book of Longfellow's poetry for Christmas and another by Robert Browning. Spent my Christmas Day with a Vietnam veteran having a wonderful meal and some great fellowship. It was a senseless war, but then, aren't they all? If individuals could only see the fellowship of souls in humanity and view one another; each on an individual basis, there would certainly be more compassion and empathy in the world. Individuals make friends but governments make wars. And the price is paid in individual human lives. "When will they ever learn?" Wonderful write and I enjoyed every word. Merry Christmas.

Posted 2 Years Ago


This really spoke to me. It almost made me tear up a bit thinking about the meaning behind your words.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Wow, Morgan, that is such a compliment.
Intriguing spill of nostalgic ideas, which is like suggesting autumn brings on some melancholy, as it does for many. Here in central Cali, where it's still temperate, I have a big show of chrysanthemums, marigolds, & geraniums, covering shades of red, orange, & gold. Thanks for sharing (((HUGS)))

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you for reading Barleygirl. I do love autumn but yes, the flowers brought a little melancholy... read more
The part about the single red rose is especially touching, but the whole thing stirs vivid feelings and images within me. I was a huge Peter, Paul, and Mary fan as a teen, and still am. Just learning the guitar back then, there's was the music I most wanted to play.
The images of autumn you describe seem to have been seen through my own eyes. Summers are colorful--yes--but the warmer hues of fall are most pleasing.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Samuel Dickens

2 Years Ago

Mother was 48 when a heart attack took her, too. I was on an aircraft carrier if the Vietnam war zon.. read more
Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

What a traumatic event. Is your story posted? What is the title?
Samuel Dickens

2 Years Ago

Yes, it is. I call it "Mother". https://www.writerscafe.org/writing/pumper/724944/
Such a lovely write dear Shelley. Flowers mean a great deal to many people. I really enjoyed the thoughts you shared here, even though some are poignant. I have flowers in my garden all year round. My favourite time though, has to be spring. That is the season of rebirth after the days of little natural light. I just love it when those bulbs appear in their bright colours. I have pressed special flowers and have some in my bible to remind me of important family occasions. I have a pressed flower from each of my grandchildren. They are precious.

Chris

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Those are special memories. Thanks for sharing them with me.
Chris Shaw

2 Years Ago

Thank you Shelley for such an inspiring write.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 24, 2021
Last Updated on October 24, 2021

Author

Shelley Warner
Shelley Warner

Camas, WA



About
I like to write about my life. Sounds a little narcissistic, right? But it's the challenges, the griefs, the joys, the faith struggles, and the enjoyment of nature that inspires me. I have published t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..