A Snowy Adventure with John in his Red Ford Truck

A Snowy Adventure with John in his Red Ford Truck

A Story by Shelley Warner
"

the latest in a series, Adventures with John in his Red Ford Truck

"

A Snowy Adventure

It’s December 12, 2021 and we head out Highway 500, turning on to some side roads and eventually finding ourselves on a narrow logging road in the Yacolt, Washington area. We see, out the window, an eerie mist settling among trees,

 

 and in one spot, an upturned pile of tree roots which adds to the spooky  scene.

We pull over into a turnabout so John can snack on graham crackers without distracting his driving. Zach, my twelve year old grandson, asks if he can get out and pee behind some trees. He comes back announcing, “I saw a Starbucks hot chocolate cup on the ground.” I wonder if he’s hinting that he’d like a hot chocolate later on.


“Yeah,” John answers, “people come out to enjoy nature and then scatter their garbage around.”


As we relax in the truck, fat snowflakes drift down from above. “This is so magical,” I state. Nearby in the wild grass, lies an orange pumpkin, full of bullet holes. Not far away is a “No Shooting” sign. As we drive on, we see other “No Shooting” signs punctured with bullet holes.  


Snowflakes dash toward our windshield. “It looks like time travel,” John says, “with little rockets shooting through the stars.”   The road is a one lane drive. I wonder out loud what will happen if we meet a vehicle coming toward us. Soon we do, but he backs up for us into a turn-around area. Eventually, we wonder if we might be lost. John slows up beside a family that’s parked on the side of the road. “Do you know where this road leads to?”


“I think it leads to Washougal,” a woman answers. That’s good. Washougal is next door to Camas, where I live with my grandkids. We drive up, up, up, our ears popping from time to time. 

The road ends at a T and we wonder which way to go. Thankfully John’s phone is able to get GPS and we turn to the left. Finally, we arrive back in civilization. It’s been a beautiful adventure in John’s red ford truck.

© 2021 Shelley Warner


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I enjoyed the photos. Years ago, I lived in upper Michigan. Snow country. I do not miss. Good to have a large truck on the messy roads. Hello Shelley and Happy New year.
Coyote

Posted 2 Years Ago


Beautifully narrated and photographed. Enjoyed!

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you for your affirming words.
Thanks for the snowy ride with you, John, and Zach. I used to go cruising on the backroads, (cow trails?) but haven't in a long time. Well, now I have. I love the photos you've provided.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you Samuel, glad you liked the story and photos. Merry Christmas.
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Love this
I was there with you on all the bends

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you Julie. I appreciate your review
Wow what spectacular pictures of your journey Shelley. Your story really puts us in the vehicle with all of you. The storm has really been hitting us here in the Westcoast good. Thank you for inviting us along on your road trip through these words.

Posted 2 Years Ago


Shelley Warner

2 Years Ago

Thank you for your wonderful review. I love it when people say they feel they are with us in John's .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 15, 2021
Last Updated on December 15, 2021

Author

Shelley Warner
Shelley Warner

Camas, WA



About
I like to write about my life. Sounds a little narcissistic, right? But it's the challenges, the griefs, the joys, the faith struggles, and the enjoyment of nature that inspires me. I have published t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Escape Escape

A Poem by Chris Shaw