Chapter 1. The Burden of Death

Chapter 1. The Burden of Death

A Chapter by Sid
"

The first chapter deals with the protagonists apparent suicide and the reason for the same.

"

He dragged his feet, lost in the quagmire of his emotions. The feelings he had bottled in choked the very life out of him, killing him slowly. He contemplated the easiest way to die - a gunshot to the head seemed like the best choice but he had no way of procuring a gun under any circumstances, thus his mind drifted off to the more common means of suicide - “slitting the wrists while in the bathtub”, the cliched method of relief. As these thoughts floated in his mind he wondered how he could be so cavalier about his means of escape. He sat down on his bed in the desolate one room apartment he called home and brooded over the events in his life. The death of his parents in that horrible accident, the mangled bodies he had identified as a twelve year old; the rape and subsequent death of his older sister and his last link to sanity, a year later. His utter lack of emotions that left his world empty and the loneliness he felt despite being surrounded by people who called him their friend even though he felt nothing for them and he lived what he considered a forced life, uninterested in anything around him.


He thought long about what he wanted with his life and where he wanted to be in the future but all things considered he drew a blank. He couldn't see his life beyond the next day, the next hour or maybe even the next minute. The very thought of living made him hurt all over as he drowned in this loneliness and then as if like a ray of hope he remembered his life a coke addict and he felt worse when he realized that his days as a junkie were a lot better than his current life. He looked around the sparse belongings scattered randomly around his house and felt a longing for a different world " a world where he was truly alive. He felt that he didn't have the strength to go on any further and that right there in the tiny bathtub and at the edge of the newly opened blade on the windowsill laid his escape. He walked over and stared out the window and came to the conclusion that this was the day he called it quits.


He got off his bed, picked up the razor and went over to the bathtub set along the western wall of his bathroom. He opened the faucet and let the cold water fill the tub as he watched the water flow and fill it up. He expected nothing from his death, no release, no shiny new world where his ghosts would leave but he just wanted to reach the end as soon as possible and to that end he decided to go through with his plan of killing himself. He had been taught that committing suicide was a sin unlike any but he considered living the biggest sin of them all.


When the tub was filled to the brim, he stepped in with the blade held firmly in his right hand. As he sat there in the warm water he realized the reason for his careless approach towards his death " he didn't care about his life at all. It meant nothing to him or to anyone around him for he was indeed alone in this world of hypocrites. Content he leaned back and caressed his left wrist gently with the blade and a light cut appeared as the blade passed his skin effortlessly. As he watched the thin line of blood appear on his newly broken skin, he wondered if his decision was indeed the final one. He gathered his resolve because after a few moments of consideration he was sure of his decision, everything had to end. It was impossible for him to carry on as he felt he had nothing left to live for. He had no extravagant or for that matter even paltry dreams at all for the future.


He picked up the blade and said softly, “It’s time for Ronit Oberoi to end it all at the edge of the blade.”


He felt sad for reasons he couldn't explain but his decision was made and nothing could change it. He gritted his teeth, clenched the blade hard between his thumb and two fingers of his right hand and drew it deep and hard across his wrist and to his surprise blood spurted out, an indication that he had gone deep enough to hit an artery; though before he could think of anything else, he screamed out as a burning sensation erupted in his left arm; it felt to him like (for the lack of a better analogy) hell. He had read somewhere on the internet that the pain went away after a while as the slit wrist was placed in water, but it made no difference. His hand was, for the most part, on fire; the pain that ravaged his hand was unbearable as he shook in the aftermath of the shock that his body had experienced. He prayed to God that he would lose consciousness but that bliss never came.


After what felt like hours to him, the pain started to recede even as the water around him slowly turned red. As he shivered he reached for the blade he held in his right hand to finish the job and slit his other wrist. As he tried to hold it between his thumb and fingers it slipped out as he couldn't grip it well. He reached over the bathtub, picked up the blade and with much effort finally managed to transfer it to his bleeding and shaking left hand. He then tried to slit his right wrist but only managed to make a shallow cut that hardly bled before it again became nearly impossible for him to move his left hand; pain shot up through his left arm as he tried to move it. He waited even as his left arm twitched in agony but before long his arm started to go numb and with that the pain started to subside. He made another effort to cut his other wrist and ripped through layers of skin and cartilage before he gave up for the lack of strength. By now his right wrist bled profusely indicative of a vein disruption. As he lay there helpless and spent from all the pain, the endorphin released by his body numbed it, he started to lose consciousness and reality started to fade away.


Everything around him started to turn black interspersed with flashes of intense pain and his body was ravaged by spasms. As the darkness engulfed him, he let it all go and flowed away with the tide of nothingness and slowly but surely left the world behind.



© 2013 Sid


Author's Note

Sid
This is the first chapter in the story, it deals with his apparent suicide. I know where I want to go from here but I don't know if I should. Tell me what you think about this chapter and whether I should continue!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

this is terrific writing. i am not a big fan of stories because they require time i dont often have but this reads very easily and has a great feel to it which makes it awesome reading. you can certainly call yourself a storyteller after this!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sid

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
i swear to God i felt my left wrist hurting as i read this! this is so chilling and it is soooooo goood that i will die if you do not continue it!!! i want to know where it goes!! *jumps up and down!!!!!!!!!!*

Posted 11 Years Ago


Sid

11 Years Ago

:D Thanks again, your comments are making me feel pretty good about myself since this is only my sec.. read more
Salar Majak

11 Years Ago

:) you are so very welcome! you deserve the support. i know what you mean exactly. looking forward f.. read more
Sid

11 Years Ago

:D

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

256 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 27, 2013
Last Updated on January 27, 2013


Author

Sid
Sid

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India



Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Sid