light

light

A Chapter by SlightlyOdd

      Eric took a deep breath as he approached the door to the science lab. The grey hallway of the school building  seemed to make everything more oppressive and downcast.Gingerly his hand moved towards the largest bruise he received last night when his father saw his declining grade. The long sleeve T-shirt also covering his arms which weren't as bad as his side but, bruised non the less. He had to do this. Nervously flipped his head to the side so his hair was no longer in his face. He gulped down a last bit of air and gingerly opened the door to the science lab.
     "M-mr.H-inwalker?" He ventured nervously, which wasn't much of change. He always seemed very nervous or at least he had through this first half semester. The upside of the coin for him was that due to the stutter he wasn't called on much. His teacher looking up at his arrival quickly focused his expecting gaze upon him.
    "I-I was won-dering if th-th-th" He paused to take a deep breath and continued "If there was a-any way to r-raise my g-grade in this class" He choked out through his stutter. Mr.Hinwalker's expression turned smug and the bad feeling that caused him to be doubly nervous intensified ten fold.
   "If you would like to come after class on Fridays to help out i would certainly attribute that to your grade" Mr.Hinwalker said his cold brown eyes turning unreadable. Yes he was definitely uncomfortable but he couldn't just couldn't go home at the end of the month without a passing grade. So reluctantly he agreed. He walked out of the room into the empty hallway. He quickly was walked over to the water fountain a little way down the hall. Then he went outside at the very least it was a nice day. It was warm with a nice fall breeze. He closed his eyes for a moment. He could pretend he was somewhere else like nothing existed but the warmth. But reality called in the form of hunger along with a gurgling from his stomach. Pulling his sweatshirt closer to himself he looked around, spotting a near by garbage bin. Once again he looked around to see if anyone was around. He was hungry even though it felt every bit as shameful as the first time he'd done it in the fifth grade he looked in the garbage can. It was empty. He silently cursed it was Wednesday, the janitor frequently took out the north campus trash on Wednesday because no one ever ate over on the north side of the campus.
    He couldn't raid the trash cans on the south side because the was always someone over there. The only reason none of the bullies picked on him was because he wasn't noticeable enough. If they knew this they would definitely notice. He looked down and just enjoyed the small bit of warmth he had for however long he could. Then the bell for the next period rang, he had move again. He wished for a moment that he could be somewhere else. Then he started moving. He made it to the locker room thankfully on time. Almost everyone had a locker in a group, he preffered his to be separate from everyone else s. After they had all changed they filed out. Then he started to feel weird, his vision was odd it seemed to be going in and out of focus. He listened to the gym teacher as best he could. He was Not going to make a scene. Coach snapped at some girls busy talking while she was explaining. Then she continued. What she said was simple enough they were going to run laps for fifteen minutes then they were going to play kickball the rest of the period. They all got on the track. He was a fast runner but to be honest he never really tried hard in sports. At this moment it didn't really matter, He felt cold, it was really really cold. He'd started feeling this way about fifteen minutes ago. After a minute of two his vision started to get worse, he could just not get his eyes to focus. His legs began to wobble and the track lines started to blur then, everything sounded odd. He stopped to catch his breath as an odd fog crept over his vision. He saw the coach start to come over and what he assumed was girl  because of the pink shorts stop beside him.
    "Are yo-" he heard he voice it was oddly muted then blackness crept up over the gray film while the world began to tilt, then nothing.

       ---------
                 Avell knew it was a dream and didn't care. it was a good dream. It was hot, not unbearably hot. Especially because sitting in the moist grass in the shade of the big Hanth tree. It was a special tree, one few had ever seen or ever even heard of. The leaves were transparent  but still managed to give shade, the shade was very similar to the shade which one might get from good sunglasses. She didn't know why but, suddenly she stood up. Immediately upon doing this she realized she wasn't alone in the cave sheltering her lovely Hanth tree. Quickly, she turned around.There she was faced with a pair of eyes, they were so deep, so kind, so lonely. But the worst part was that they were sad, so incredibly sad, as if filled with the weight of a thousand years wort of tragedy. The bright mismatched eyes looked at her one green and the other blue.
               Suddenly she was ripped from her dream by the rough noise of someone opening the iron grate at the end of the room containing her cell. She became aware of the little uncomfortable thing she was spared in sleep. The magnetized cuffs slightly digging into her wrists, how the mouth piece they put on her made her mouth unbearably dry, little things really. The thing that bothered her the most was the thick linen blindfold. It itched, a lot.
            Avell heard him enter, he came closer. His footsteps echoed loudly off what she assumed from the sound was concrete. With the muzzle on her they couldn't expect her to feed herself, with how dangerous she was they also couldn't have someone feed her. Maybe he was setting up an I.V. That would make sense, especially since they could sedate her as well. Avell knew she was correct when he came inside her holding cell, her prison.
          He was wearing gloves, but there were still skin cells on the outside of them. Avell barely heard a thing while he was setting up the I.V over the flood of information coming to her through the tiny almost dead skin cells. The stream was weak thankfully for her. She wouldn't be getting a life story. His name was Shevak, he didn't know how old he was even though the cells told her her was 28. He didn't know anything about himself, sometimes that really disturbed him. He only remembered waking up here, but the cell showed her the things that were the most resistant against the memory division they put up in his mind. His sixteenth birthday, the day his mom died, the day he got married, the day his son was born. But the most overpowering was the day he lost it all.
        He was sad, memories are part of what makes who we are, he lost that. He felt that loss but he didn't notice it, it had been a part of him from the moment he woke up. She remembered that loss. The stream died right as she felt the prick of the the second needle. One for food, the other for sedative. It didn't matter.She couldn't escape right now though. It be nice for just a little while to forget about her own troubled past. It took a few moments for the sedative to kick in, she heard him leave. He was so like her she thought absently, perhaps most of them were. But the pull of the sedative was too much. She could escape when they sent help for her. Even though she could quickly burn the sedative from her blood, it was too much work, too much had happened.
        Shevak looked back uneasily at the now sleeping woman, she winced when he had touched her. That bothered him a lot. Still he did as he was told simply because that was all he knew. They'd done something to him before. Before what,he thought. He lost track of what he was thinking about. He tried to remember but he just couldn't. Why didn't he remember. But quick that thought too dissipated.

                                   -----------------------
    It was cold. He was in the nurse's office. Judging by the sun it was late noon.The light seemed so warm. The light was layered but all the same shade. What an odd impression. Pulling himself up, it was still cold he realized, the light didn't seem to touch him or warm him like it had earlier. The nurse's office was empty. He slowly moved off the fake leather covered bench he was on and into the middle of the room. Getting a better look he moved around. Checking to see if anyone was there. Out of the corner of his eye he saw something, a flash of light.
      He moved down to where he had last seen it. He started to see a figure. Then the nurse decided to make an appearance. She was average, maybe even rather comely with eyes that were almost too far apart. Her figure was rather nondescript as well. Her eyes were sort of empty though, that seemed to be the only memorable thing about her.
     "I'm surprised your up" she said looking at him speculatively. Her cold pebble eyes regarding him blankly.
     As if coming out of a trance his eyes dilated at then went back to normal. What just happened he though. He couldn't seem to remember. 
    "W-w-hat hap-pened ?" He said, his brain finally seeming to function again.   
    "You fainted in gym class, you seem to be running a fever." She stated slowly.
    "We tried to call your dad but his phone seems to be out of order, is there anyone else you can call?" she asked. She didn't seem to think there was anything strange about him waking up standing in the middle of the hall. Maybe she had thought he was trying to see if there was anyone there. 
   "N-No I-I-I'm  sorry," he started, god he hated talking. He couldn't get anything right.
"My D-d-d ad's prob-bably  at a meeting."  
     "Well why don't you lie down while you wait we'll try again in a couple of minutes. 
   "Okay" 
   He mainly slept the last three hours of school. It wasn't hard, he was tired and still running a fever by the time school ended. His dad still hadn't picked up and he was still fiendishly cold. 
   It was almost a blur, i guess you could call it a feverish haze. He didn't start to get dizzy again until the subway, even then he made it to his house , or rather his dad's apartment. It was high end with a nice view from the ninth floor. He almost made it to the couch even. But not quite, He narrowly missed it landing a few inches away from the coffee table.
      Leran Walked close to his mothers lags almost hiding behind her cloak. His thin spiderweb like strands of hair fluttered around him in the breeze. Somewhere in the back of his mind he was aware of an intense pain which somehow took second to the hostility all around him. Hot glares were directed at him and his mother. He was aware that girl around his age threw a rock at him narrowly missing him.  He didn't turn around. They'd all seen too much. His mother  continued forward even in her tattered dress looking elegant and highborn despite the fact she was not but, it was more than that. She looked noble.  The Shehazmh was assembled out side the Terahlth still looking elegant although obviously worse for the wear. She spoke formally in ancient tongue.   
     "Asther'simath hirath'in as'turar miacau'urarn sesturan escap'l'eopa"   
    The ancient request for aid and refuge or passage . The members of the Shehazmh looked very surprised for  a moment. There were only three answers to the ancient question: We shall grant you refuge in passage, this of course being temporary and within reason, the second being  a question in return why and where do you request aid and  refuge/passage, the third being denying  both aid and refuge/passage.
    "Sithera mi'isth'a'nth shen'eopa " One of the elves replied after a lengthy debate in hushed tones. The thin elf looked upon them with pity. This was the only city that might be willing to accept them within leagues. It was thankfully the second answer. 
     "To the temple of Hist'nin'su'therea  and only enough to feed the young on the journey the Zhpnistruna'in'sepi'im destoryed all the temples in their lands and sought to eradicate the order" she said in a trembling voice despite that the word still rang through the air with purpose.      
     
       "You say that yet you have the look of those now calling themselves Zhpnifstruna'in'sepi'in  how do we know you do not just seek to destroy the temple?" The thin elf said speaking once more.
His mother looked at him. 
       "Go ahead"
Finally he let it go. His hands moved out to help him balance. A soft not quite light  spread out around him. It was visible but indescribable. The effects on the other hand were clearly visible and describable. The land scared and cracked started to repare itself nearby all around him anything that was stubborn enough to still be alive despite the drought the Zhpinifstruna'in'sepi'in were causing, or the attacks of bandits or simply being stepped on repared themselves then slowly the clouds gathered over head. Lerans face was an odd mix of concentration joy and just a little bit of frustration. He felt the rage recede for a moment and become replaced by awe. He was shocked out of what he was doing by the crack of a thunderbolt, and it began to rain. He felt lightheaded. his mother caught him as the world began to sway. The intense pain in the back of his head temporarily ceased as the world faded to comforting darkness. 
    
   



© 2012 SlightlyOdd


Author's Note

SlightlyOdd
there are probably many typos and grammar issues i will try to work on if you want to help feel free

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

65 Views
Added on October 18, 2012
Last Updated on December 16, 2012


Author

SlightlyOdd
SlightlyOdd

Mysteries Mysteries oh what fun



About
Here's the thing why not guess Give it your best: Cats are a no but the symbol a yes Green is good by my color is gold I am a mule but when facts are told I relinquish my throne with crusts of .. more..

Writing
wind wind

A Poem by SlightlyOdd