Breaking News

Breaking News

A Chapter by Jelly Shot

"Johnny?" Harper twirled the telephone cord with her pinky as she thought of how she was going to tell him the big news.
     "Yeah I'm here. What's up?" he sounded like his old self when they were in middle school. Probably kicked back on his bed looking at either homework or a comic book. The silence questioned Johnny. He moved and asked, "Hey, everything okay?"
     Harper looked at Bessie who paced like she did two days ago. "I-I have news, that I just found out to-today," Harper waiting for a reaction, but he was silent. She took a breath and continued, "I'm... going to live with my parents."
     Bessie's head popped up and she froze in the middle of the room gaping at Harper.
     "What!" Johnny cried. "Wha-what? Why?"
     "Because I'm Pregnant!" Harper slammed the phone onto the receiver and cried. "I can't believe I just did that."
     "So when's the big move?" Bessie asked looking down.
     "I'm not leaving you, Bessie. I just got nervous is all." She looked at her hands and balled them into fists. "I'm so stupid..."
     Bessie loosened up and sighed, "You're not stupid. You're scared."
     "I thought I wanted this..."
     "You do, but you're too young, so you're scared. We have to tell my parents."
     Harper gasped, "Hell no! They would kick me out! Make me live with my parents! Then my parents would kill me!"
     "My parents love you. They think about adopting you. They treat you like me! A Ben-"
     "Adopt me?" Harper looked away and hugged herself tightly. "They are thinking about adopting me?"
     "Well uh... Yeah I um..."
     "When?"
     "Two... Weeks... Ago..."
     "What! And you never told me this?" Harper towered over Bessie in fury.
     "When they have decided." Bessie whispered.
     Harper sighed and sat on the computer chair. She spun herself slowly as she pondered. She bit her lip and then there was a knock on the door. "Yeah?" She called still spinning.
     "Harper, someone is at the door for you."

"So what you're doing here?" Harper asked looking away.
     "What? Can't see my own daughter after six years?" Sean took out a pack of cigarettes and pulled a cigar out. He took his time as he lit it and blew a long puff of smoke.
      Harper clenched her jaw and shook her head. "Sean, I don't think it's the right time for you to be here."
     "Oh it is pumpkin. I have news to tell."
     Harper watched as he slowly took another breath of smoke. He blew it out with his eyes closed as if he were in heaven. He then smiled and looked at her with sorrow in his eyes.
     "Your mother is dead, Harp." he chuckled as if it were a joke. Though news like this, at a time like this, Harper did not see his twisted joke. "She died of lung cancer. Did you know she had cancer?" he looked at her as he saw her shake her head. "Well she did. She just... died... And here I am taking a smoke in front of a mistake."
     "You mean your daughter?"
     "Yeah that."
     Harper bit the the side of her tongue and shook her head. "I can't believe you." she stood up from the curb and wiped her thighs. "You're taking Sharla's death as a joke!"
     "I've been doing that for years, Harp! It's been a joke. She died leaving me after three years since you've been gone. I was alone, Harper, alone!"
     "So Sharla's been dead?" Harper closed her eyes as hard as she could. Then after a few seconds she glared at Sean and screamed, "Leave!"
     Sean threw the cigar on the street and rose to his feet. The chains dangled on his thighs and he shook his head. "I'm not leaving without you."
     Harper laughed and shook her head. "I'll die first. In fact, I want you nowhere near me! You will never see me ever again!" She walked away and ran to the house. All she heard was Sean yelling, "I will never leave!" though she only thought it was in her head.
     Bessie, Mr and Mrs. Benson sat in the living room with worried faces. Harper sighed and said, "I need a nap." She ran upstairs and never came out. 


© 2010 Jelly Shot


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

this is intense. Very impressive, though a little rushed. Very good details.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very dramatic!

I didn't expect the Sean thing.

Can't wait to read more(:

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

95 Views
2 Reviews
Added on November 4, 2010
Last Updated on November 7, 2010


Author

Jelly Shot
Jelly Shot

PA



About
Learning about me just simply read the kind of writings I write. I mean that surely should speak for itself. But, as many people won't agree, I guess I'll just write it down since people don't really .. more..

Writing
The Test The Test

A Chapter by Jelly Shot


Results Results

A Chapter by Jelly Shot


A Rerun A Rerun

A Chapter by Jelly Shot