Memories

Memories

A Chapter by snapjack

My head throbbed, but instead of wrapping myself in misery, I started pulling out the small chips of glass that were wedged into my skin. Small red dots of blood replaced them, but I didn’t pay it any mind.

Alex had moved the large man to the forest with the help of Matt, who listened obediently.

I looked myself over to see if anything else was out of place, but only found a few fresh large bruises accompanied with scrapes and cuts lining my face, arms, back and legs.

I threw pieces of the rocking chair off of the porch after I was finished looking myself over and dumped them into the weed ridden yard. When I walked to the edge of the porch and looked along side of the house, I saw a lump that resembled a body, but didn’t look too hard. I had already seen one body with a large hole in it and that was good enough for me.

As I threw the last large piece of the rocking chair off of the porch, I looked up to see Alex and Matt trudging back to the house. Alex had the same frown on his face as if he saw something disgusting and Matt stared at the ground.

I took in a breath, exhaling deeply, and walked through the large hole that would be a temporary front door.

Inside was a mess. Ashes and wood chips littered the floor, some still smoking. I rubbed my temple with my fingertips as I stared, unsure of where to start. Another large hole was in the living room next to the fireplace giving a nice view of the dark woods a few feet from the house.

“Awesome,” I murmured.

“We’re not staying here tonight.” I turned around and looked at Alex who started walking through the gaping hole. He had blood stains on his white shirt and on his jeans. I swallowed back a gag, but managed to find my words.

“Where are we going to stay, then?” I asked. Alex turned around and looked through the hole at the front yard.

“There’s a motel not far from here and my truck is parked a quarter of a mile in the woods,” Alex stated. I blinked at him.

“It keeps people from finding it,” Alex said. I silently mouthed the word, “oh”, and looked back at the living room.

The painting of Katherine still hung in its place except it was now almost horizontal. The sight made the bruise on my back throb worse and I turned back to Alex.

“Will you be okay to drive? I want to keep an eye on him so he doesn’t do anything,” Alex asked and I nodded, rolling my eyes toward the open hole.

 Matt stood in the front yard with his hands cupped as he peered into them. He had on a black zip up sweater that made him camouflage against the darkness, accompanied with blue jeans and white sneakers.

Matt put his face closer and opened his hands a little more, but something leaped out through his fingers and into the grass. Matt quickly bent down to pick it back up, but looked in at me and I quickly looked at Alex.

“I kind of think he’s harmless, but I’ll listen to you,” I replied. Alex smiled a little and started to turn to leave, but I quickly touched his shoulder. Alex turned to look at my hand, but I quickly let my hand fall to my side. I felt my cheeks start to blush so I looked away for a second.

“Alex…Will you tell me where you went tonight?” I asked, looking back at him. I saw his face flash with some emotion that I couldn’t read.

“I’ve been-” Alex started, but Matt cut him off.

“I see lights moving around in the trees,” Matt said and Alex and I looked at him. “Is that normal here?”

“What do you mean, ‘lights’?” Alex asked, stepping through the hole. I followed after him, wrapping my arms around my body to keep warm as I stepped onto the porch. Alex stepped to the edge of the porch’s steps to get a good look and I strained my eyes.

Dim lights came were ahead of us in the forest, headed up to the house. I frowned in confusion as I watched different lights break apart and slowly come toward us.

“Alex, what-” I started, but Alex grabbed my arm and took off running down the steps and around the house. He turned his head to me and put a finger to his lips. Matt was quickly by my side.

I heard the sound of rustling and turned my head as I was dragged along. I gasped as I saw ten foot giants walking toward us, the fire that was still burning from inside the house lit up the frowns on their faces as they came closer. Large wings were folded behind their backs, making them appear more deadly than angelic. Some of the angel’s eyes seemed to be glowing against the darkness of the night.

Alex pulled me along and I looked just as we reached the edge of the woods. Alex suddenly stopped and bent down. I tried to stop in time, but I ran into him. He grabbed my legs from behind and stood up, running with full force. I struggled to catch onto his neck, but finally found a grip on his shirt, pulling myself into his back. Matt seemed to be having a hard time as well, as he tried to keep up with Alex’s pace.

I leaned down into Alex’s neck.

“Who are they?” I asked. Alex shook his head furiously and kept running.

“Shh!” Alex whispered. I turned around and saw the lights coming quickly toward us. The angels started to shift into lights as the fire from the house faded away in the distance. I opened my mouth and leaned back into Alex’s neck. “Then you better run faster.”

Alex grunted and put his head down to catch more speed. The moon shinned from above, trying to light up the forest. Although, the large trees’ branches prevented the light. I could just barely make out the path.

“Let me down and I’ll run,” I whispered. “It’ll help you run faster.” Alex shook his head and put a finger to his lips. The cool air whipped against my face and arms as we ran. I pressed myself harder against Alex and something caught my eye next to us.

I looked over and almost let go of Alex’s neck.

A little boy was running next to us who looked no older than eight. I could make out the details that I knew I shouldn’t have been able to see. His hair was the color of milk chocolate, the small strands lifting up as he ran alongside of us. I could see his blue eyes shining in the darkness as a smile danced on his small lips. The little boy looked at me and grinned like we were playing a game.

Tears started forming in my eyes and my bottom lip trembled.

“Michael,” I whispered. I knew it was him. I felt Alex turn his head to look back at me for a moment, but I didn’t return the glance. Instead, I let one hand let go of Alex’s neck, balancing myself with my other arm. Alex tightened his grip on my legs.

“What is it, mama?” Michael asked. His voice sounded so beautiful.

“Stop!” Alex whispered frantically to me. I reached my hand out for the little boy. Michael giggled and reached out to me. Our fingers almost touched until Alex pushed me up to get a better grip. I was in the air and came back to Alex’s back except higher up. I quickly had to latch onto Alex to keep from falling.

I quickly looked for Michael, but he was gone.

Before I realized it, I was silently crying.

A few minutes passed until I could make out a dark form. I noticed it was a truck as Alex ran to the driver’s side and pulled the door open. A small sound of bells played in the truck and a bright light was shining inside.

Alex shoved me onto the bench seat and I quickly unlocked the passenger door. Alex jumped in and was turning the keys that were already in the ignition. The truck roared to life and Matt leapt into the truck just as it began to slowly move. Matt shut his door and the lights went off inside. Alex pulled up on the truck’s light round light knob and the bright lights revealed a leaf infested path that could only be truly noticed in daylight without a flashlight. Alex stomped on the gas pedal and the truck grumbled in protest.

The truck finally picked up speed and I turned around to look through the back glass. The Earth vibrated with the angel’s footfalls, keeping pace with the truck and only a few feet away. I noticed the closest angel was staring me in the eye as it reached its large hand out to grab onto the tail gate. The man’s face was set like an eagle watching its prey.  

“Alex!” I yelled and Alex pressed harder on the gas pedal until it was touching the floor board. With each bump, I nearly flew through the air. Matt grabbed hold of my waist and fumbled for the seatbelt. I grabbed the thick material and flung it over my lap, pushing the round metal into its designated slot. We were in the air and I put one hand on the dashboard and the other on the ceiling to keep from hitting myself.

The truck hit hard on the ground, but didn’t slow down. The lights on the truck touched pavement and I looked behind us. The angels had their wings raised, ready to take on the chase in air.

“Oh my God,” I muttered and looked at Alex. Alex didn’t return my glance. The truck made a loud sound which sent me up in the air again. I landed and hit the seat hard. Matt groaned and I saw he was holding his head.

Alex was turning the steering wheel as it ran onto the pavement. The truck hit the edge of the cement and everything shook violently in the truck. All three of us flew up and I plummeted into Matt who hit the door.

The truck screeched on the road and was quickly speeding down it; the white lines blurring together as Alex drove.

Suddenly, a baby’s cry came to my ears and I quickly turned around. I saw angels flying up in the air, their white wings glistening against the moon light. Within seconds, they looked like small stars in the sky.

 

After driving for a while in complete silence, we went to a nearby fast food restaurant. Alex drove through the drive-thru and we ate silently until we reached a motel that looked shady. Three cars were in the parking lot. Alex guaranteed that it wasn’t as bad as it looked. I got out on Alex’s side and looked around. Something about it seemed familiar.

“Go get two rooms,” Alex said to Matt. Matt nodded as Alex dug out some money and handed it to him. Matt went on his way to the front office that was still lit up behind the white blinds.

I continued to look around and saw a large tree. Its limbs were thick and twisted, large lumps littered the tree’s body like warts. Something twisted inside my memory like seeing a familiar face.

“Alex,” I started, but he read my thoughts as he climbed into the truck bed. He unlocked the silver toolbox and started fiddling inside it.

“There used to be a house here instead of a motel,” Alex replied in a whisper. I had to lean in to hear him. “You wanted us to buy it, but then we found that one,” Alex continued, nodding his head in the direction we came.

“Why am I only remembering all of this now?” I asked in the same hushed whisper. Alex pulled out something from the toolbox and tucked it in his jeans pocket. He then went back to moving things around.

“I’m not sure,” Alex replied. Alex then pulled out a long hand gun. He leaned toward me and looked me in the eye.

“Keep this hidden with you,” Alex said, handing me the gun. I opened my mouth, but shut it. I took the gun and tried to figure out where I was going to put it.

Suddenly, Matt came out of the front office with two keys dangling in his hand. I quickly tucked the gun into the boxer shorts and had to hold onto the edges of the boxers to keep it from falling to the ground.

Matt walked up and handed me a key. I took it with my other hand and Matt gave Alex the change.

“We got the rooms for two days,” Matt said and Alex nodded. Alex pulled out a navy blue duffel bag and swung it over his shoulder.

“That should do,” Alex replied, shutting the toolbox. As Alex got down from the truck, Matt leaned his head close to me.

“I never got the chance to tell you how sorry I was for everything,” Matt said and I looked at him.

“I made it out and that’s all that matters,” I replied. “Thank you for not saying anything when I was hiding.” Matt nodded and Alex glared at Matt.

“I’m going to give you this gun, but if you dare do anything stupid, I will put a hole in you too,” Alex threatened. I saw Matt’s face turn pale and he nodded. Alex handed Matt a long silver gun and Matt took it and stuffed it in his pants pocket.

“What were those things?” Matt asked and Alex barely noticed the question.

“Creatures on a mission to destroy,” Alex muttered and Matt looked down at the ground for a moment. I could tell he had something to say, but when he looked up, I knew he decided against it.

“Are we rooming together?” Matt asked Alex.

“Of course not,” Alex replied and Matt quickly looked at me.

“I’m not leaving her alone with a man she just met the other day,” Matt said. His eyebrows were furrowed as he stared at Alex.

“I’m not leaving her alone and I’m sure as Hell not leaving her with you,” Alex replied, pointing his long finger at Matt.

“Matt, it’s okay. I’ve known Alex for a long time,” I said, getting in between the two men. Matt looked down at me for a brief second. Alex continued to stare down Matt.

“It’s okay,” I said in an assuring voice. Matt stared at Alex for a while then turned to leave. Matt walked to the row of motel rooms and inserted his key in the door knob of room “4”. He turned to look at me as the door opened and shook his head. Matt stepped through the entrance and shut the door, the light inside the room turning on a second later.

I looked back at Alex.

“You didn’t have to provoke him,” I stated and Alex snorted.

“He shouldn’t be trying to come onto my past life wife. Even if she doesn’t fully remember it yet,” Alex said and I rolled my eyes. He smiled at his charm.

“Don’t flatter yourself,” I replied and a smile played on Alex’s lips and I thought of Michael. It was the same expression that Michael was wearing in the woods that was now on Alex’s face. I thought about telling Alex about it, but tried to push it out of my mind until I wouldn’t cry when I told him. Everything about him seemed to glow around Alex and my heart jumped in place a few beats.

“Come on,” Alex said, holding out his hand for me to take. I slid my fingers into his and we walked to the room labeled “6”.

I slid the key into the door knob and the door clicked open. Alex switched on the lights and the room lit up.

Two beds were in the room, each with matching vintage flower comforters and pillow cases. They both had matching blue, cloth headboards that looked awkward in the room.

 Two lamps hung down in between the beds and underneath of the lamps was a small nightstand that looked relatively new. A phone rested on top with a spinning dial and a few tourist pamphlets were next to it. The floor was blue with tiny light blue dots that made a pattern. A couch that was made of white, velvety lined cloth was positioned cattycornered, facing both the small television that rested on top of a wooden dresser and the beds from across the room.

“Okay,” I muttered and stepped through. Alex walked in behind me and shut the door, bolting the top lock and turning the knob lock. I walked through the room and saw the bathroom joined with the room. A shower was patiently waiting for me and I felt like falling down and crying, I was so happy.

“Go ahead, I’ll stay in here,” Alex said, jumping onto the bed and grabbing the television remote.

“Thank you,” I replied and he smiled.

I stepped through the bathroom entrance and shut the door. Within seconds I was in the walk-in shower, scrubbing my face with a white washcloth. Dried mud fell from my skin the instant water hit it and I scrubbed harder.

After a few minutes of scrubbing, the water dripped off of me and steam choked me with freshness. I ended up sitting down on the bench inside the shower, recalling everything that had happened to me within two weeks.

“You’re nothing but a piece of s**t and you’ll always be that way.”

I rubbed my hands across my face, pushing back my wet clump of dark hair. I watched as a small shred of a leaf fell onto the shower floor with the water. I started rubbing my fingers across my scalp to check for any life forms that weren’t welcome, but only found that my thoughts were the enemy.

I could almost see the smaller, but equally strong, man walk up to me and punch me on the side of the head with all of his might that one day.

I closed my eyes and put my fingers to my ears, taking in a breath of steam.

I remembered the vivid details of the four men that grabbed me from the street as I desperately tried to kick and scream.

I laced my fingers deeper in my hair and wrapped my fingers behind my neck.

I remembered as they stripped me down of my clothes during the drive, each man placing their filthy hands around my throat and laughing.

All except Matt who stayed quiet in the front passenger side seat.

A knock came to the door and I looked up.

“Are you okay in there?” Alex’s voice asked. I took in a breath and leaned my back against the cold tile of the shower.

“Yeah, I’m fine. I’ll be out in a second,” I replied.



© 2010 snapjack


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I think you mean "chips of glass that were...". This is a very unique piece. The characters are gradually revealed as the story progresses. An excellent job.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

345 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 6, 2010
Last Updated on December 18, 2010


Author

snapjack
snapjack

NC



About
All original photos that I have used can be located in my blog on here, named: ALL USED PHOTOS.... http://www.writerscafe.org/snapjack/blogs/All-used-photos-can-be-found-here:/10939/ Any const.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by snapjack